• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

I've never had a Pokemon infected with Pokerus in my Y game heal such that it gets that purple face icon. When the Pokerus is gone, no trace indicates that my Pokemon had it previously, allowing to be able to contract the virus again. Is this normal this gen?

No, that does not sound right, a cured Pokemon gets the smiley face mark on its status screen. Are you sure it was actually infected to begin with?

Yes. I even had to reinfect them several times.

And there are no other, simpler explanations you can think of?

Would badges really increase stats in Gens I-III? In-game, they would always say that such as how Roxanne's badge increased the Attack stat of all your Pokemon. Did those changes really happen?

Would badges really increase stats in Gens I-III? In-game, they would always say that such as how Roxanne's badge increased the Attack stat of all your Pokemon. Did those changes really happen?

I don't think so. If they do its probably a really small increment that doesn't matter.

I'm trying to figure out all the Berry Mutations on my own, just by planting every combination every time I get a new Berry. I don't wanna just read a list, that'd be boring. Trying to do it on my own.

Anyway, had a quick question regarding something I've noticed. Thus far, as I've noted the mutations I've found, no single Berry is responsible for more than a single mutation. That is to say, every "mutated" Berry is the result of a unique combination of Berries. Like, Mago + Iapapa = (I forget), and thus far, I haven't found anything else that either Mago or Iapapa combine with to produce a mutation. Same goes for every other Berry Mutation I've obtained.

Is this absolutely true? Are no Berries responsible for more than one mutation? If I find a combination of Berries that produces a mutation, can I stop experimenting with that Berry, confident that it won't be part of any other mutation?

(Also, quick question -- if two Berries that produce a mutation are grown next to each other, will they produce a mutation every single time?)

I'm trying to figure out all the Berry Mutations on my own, just by planting every combination every time I get a new Berry. I don't wanna just read a list, that'd be boring. Trying to do it on my own.

Anyway, had a quick question regarding something I've noticed. Thus far, as I've noted the mutations I've found, no single Berry is responsible for more than a single mutation. That is to say, every "mutated" Berry is the result of a unique combination of Berries. Like, Mago + Iapapa = (I forget), and thus far, I haven't found anything else that either Mago or Iapapa combine with to produce a mutation. Same goes for every other Berry Mutation I've obtained.

Is this absolutely true? Are no Berries responsible for more than one mutation? If I find a combination of Berries that produces a mutation, can I stop experimenting with that Berry, confident that it won't be part of any other mutation?

(Also, quick question -- if two Berries that produce a mutation are grown next to each other, will they produce a mutation every single time?)

You are correct. Each berry mutation is based on a specific pairing of two other berries, and no berry is part of more than one pairing.

And no, two berries that can produce a mutation will not always do so, even if placed in close proximity. To up your chances, plant more of each berry next to each other, or use mulch.

Also, have you talked to the scientist inside the berry field house? She'll keep track of all the mutations you've discovered, so you don't have to keep track of them otherwise.

You are correct. Each berry mutation is based on a specific pairing of two other berries, and no berry is part of more than one pairing.

And no, two berries that can produce a mutation will not always do so, even if placed in close proximity. To up your chances, plant more of each berry next to each other, or use mulch.

Also, have you talked to the scientist inside the berry field house? She'll keep track of all the mutations you've discovered, so you don't have to keep track of them otherwise.

Aww, sweet. That's gonna make things go much faster. I actually spent the better part of two weeks trying every combination of the "normal" berries (which is how I refer to Oran, Persim, Leppa, etc.).

And yeah I know about the scientist, but she only tells you what successful mutations you've found. I keep track of unsuccessful mutation attempts on paper, so I don't repeat myself.

Although now I might have to start over, since I always assumed mutations happened with 100% certainty if you put the right berries next to each other :/

Thanks.

Edit: Oh, and just to check, although this is probably so obvious as to go without saying -- only Berries with the same maturation cycle can produce mutations, correct? Like, a Berry that takes 48 hours to grow and a Berry that takes 96 hours would never possibly be able to produce a mutation, correct?

Last edited:

I've heard that Nintendo's algorithm for checking illegitimate Pokémon has gotten harsher this Gen, so before I transfer forward a certain semi-legitimate 'mon, I want to make sure it isn't blacklisted. If I have a "legitimately" caught Arceus – namely, one captured in the Hall of Origin – will that raise any red flags when brought forward into Gen V and VI? The Azure Flute never got released and I always felt it obnoxiously unfair that a portion of the game we paid for was off-limits to us due to no fault of our own, so I may or may not have given myself said Flute via nefarious means ^_^ In no other way was cheating involved in the capture of the Arceus, but I'm sure Nintendo knows that such a capture should be impossible.

I've heard that Nintendo's algorithm for checking illegitimate Pokémon has gotten harsher this Gen, so before I transfer forward a certain semi-legitimate 'mon, I want to make sure it isn't blacklisted. If I have a "legitimately" caught Arceus – namely, one captured in the Hall of Origin – will that raise any red flags when brought forward into Gen V and VI? The Azure Flute never got released and I always felt it obnoxiously unfair that a portion of the game we paid for was off-limits to us due to no fault of our own, so I may or may not have given myself said Flute via nefarious means ^_^ In no other way was cheating involved in the capture of the Arceus, but I'm sure Nintendo knows that such a capture should be impossible.
Heard some people saying that the Arceus caught in Hall of Origin didn't passed through the Poke Bank hack check, that Arceus is illegal because as you said Azure Flute was never released. Also you can legit Event pokemon for free in some trade boards on Gamefaqs, that's how i got mine and they all pass through the hack check.

In order to become a Grand Duke do you beat all possible NPC trainers in the battle chateau or all dukes/duchesses (sans gym leaders and E4)?

Heard some people saying that the Arceus caught in Hall of Origin didn't passed through the Poke Bank hack check, that Arceus is illegal because as you said Azure Flute was never released. Also you can legit Event pokemon for free in some trade boards on Gamefaqs, that's how i got mine and they all pass through the hack check.

Yeah, the hack check is a little funky. It let my Mew that I hacked into Emerald and caught at the Battle Frontier through, but not my Shaymin that I got using the full walkthrough cheat with an AR to get to Flower Paradise or whatever it's called. It's odd... But either way, nothing bad happens if you try to transfer it. If it won't go through it'll just stay on your Gen V game. No harm done.

Yeah, the hack check is a little funky. It let my Mew that I hacked into Emerald and caught at the Battle Frontier through, but not my Shaymin that I got using the full walkthrough cheat with an AR to get to Flower Paradise or whatever it's called. It's odd... But either way, nothing bad happens if you try to transfer it. If it won't go through it'll just stay on your Gen V game. No harm done.

Much thanks to Ellron and Norzan. Ellron, you actually answered my followup question, whether we'd lose our Banks for an attempted "hacked" 'mon transfer. Glad to hear we won't.

Edit: Oh, and just to check, although this is probably so obvious as to go without saying -- only Berries with the same maturation cycle can produce mutations, correct? Like, a Berry that takes 48 hours to grow and a Berry that takes 96 hours would never possibly be able to produce a mutation, correct?

Actually, if I remember correctly from my own experience with berry mutations, that is not necessarily the case. I believe some berry combos incorporate berries from different maturation cycle groups.

I do know that mutations will occur on a fully mature tree even if the partner tree has not fully matured. However, I don't know if the later-maturing tree can still have mutations if the earlier-maturing tree was harvested before the later one matured. You'd have to ask someone who's explored the topic a bit more for that info.

That sounds correct. I've kept rather extensive notes about mixing and matching Berries and found that hybrids only ever seem to come from Berries within the same groups. You do not, however, have to plant the respective Berries at the same time as each other.

Actually, if I remember correctly from my own experience with berry mutations, that is not necessarily the case. I believe some berry combos incorporate berries from different maturation cycle groups.

I do know that mutations will occur on a fully mature tree even if the partner tree has not fully matured. However, I don't know if the later-maturing tree can still have mutations if the earlier-maturing tree was harvested before the later one matured. You'd have to ask someone who's explored the topic a bit more for that info.

That sounds correct. I've kept rather extensive notes about mixing and matching Berries and found that hybrids only ever seem to come from Berries within the same groups. You do not, however, have to plant the respective Berries at the same time as each other.

Whoa huh what really? They don't have to be planted at the same time? Craziness!

Oh, and a weird thing I noticed -- I think mutations can creep across unrelated berries! I can't remember which berries were involved, but awhile ago, while planting Iapapas alongside every other 48-hour berry I had at the time to try to find mutations, THREE different berry plants, side-by-side, ended up bearing the same mutation! :eek:

I think maybe what happened was I had an Iapapa next to a something next to a Mago, and all three bore Pomegs. I forgot to write it down >.<

I'll have to try to get it to happen again, to confirm.

...awhile ago, while planting Iapapas alongside every other 48-hour berry I had at the time to try to find mutations, THREE different berry plants, side-by-side, ended up bearing the same mutation! :eek:

I think maybe what happened was I had an Iapapa next to a something next to a Mago, and all three bore Pomegs. I forgot to write it down >.<
There's nothing unusual about that, Iapapa + Mago does yield Pomeg berries and the chance to hybridize applies to every tree planted next to a compatible neighbor. So if you plant Iapapa + Mago + Iapapa you can indeed get up to 3 Pomeg berries (one from each tree).

OK this one is for those who have changed the regions on your 3DS to get all the Vivillion patterns.

When you change the region and start a new game do you lose your puzzle swap pieces or do they stay?

I have over 700 of the things and dont want to have to try and collect them again.

Dom

Breeding Frustrations

I've been attempting to breed a 5+ perfect IV magnemite for well over a month now, and getting nowhere. So far, I have a handful of 3 perfect IV modest magnemites, two dittos with two perfect IVs that I've been attempting to do breeding with, one 0 perfect IV modest ditto I've tried breeding with a 4 Pefect IV non-modest magnemite, and a whole lot of lack of results.

What would some good courses of action be to breed the intended magnemite?

Breeding Frustrations

I've been attempting to breed a 5+ perfect IV magnemite for well over a month now, and getting nowhere. So far, I have a handful of 3 perfect IV modest magnemites, two dittos with two perfect IVs that I've been attempting to do breeding with, one 0 perfect IV modest ditto I've tried breeding with a 4 Pefect IV non-modest magnemite, and a whole lot of lack of results.

What would some good courses of action be to breed the intended magnemite?
Try to get parents with perfect IVs that cover as many stats as you can. If you have a Ditto with perfect HP and Defense then breed it with a Magnemite that has perfect Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense, and Speed. Once you start getting better Magnemite use those as parents until you get the IV spread that you want. If you can try to catch better Ditto at the Friend Safari to help out.

...or you can try visiting the Trade Station and make a trade for one ;)

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom