• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

Breeding Frustrations

I've been attempting to breed a 5+ perfect IV magnemite for well over a month now, and getting nowhere. So far, I have a handful of 3 perfect IV modest magnemites, two dittos with two perfect IVs that I've been attempting to do breeding with, one 0 perfect IV modest ditto I've tried breeding with a 4 Pefect IV non-modest magnemite, and a whole lot of lack of results.

What would some good courses of action be to breed the intended magnemite?

Go to the trading board and try to find a 6iv ditto. Or just trade for a 5 iv magnemite. I could probably breed one for you in a few days if you give me a 48 battle point item or a dusk, shiny or dawn stone.

OK this one is for those who have changed the regions on your 3DS to get all the Vivillion patterns.

When you change the region and start a new game do you lose your puzzle swap pieces or do they stay?

I have over 700 of the things and dont want to have to try and collect them again.

Dom
I would be wary doing this. I have heard that ever since the NNID update, you are restricted to only one or two changes before it locks you in. :/ Be afraid, be very afraid.

OK this one is for those who have changed the regions on your 3DS to get all the Vivillion patterns.

When you change the region and start a new game do you lose your puzzle swap pieces or do they stay?

I have over 700 of the things and dont want to have to try and collect them again.

Dom
I would be wary doing this. I have heard that ever since the NNID update, you are restricted to only one or two changes before it locks you in. :/ Be afraid, be very afraid.

My 3DS has my NNID on it and my 2DS is going in for repair soon. I figure that when it gets back I will use it to get my Vivillions. Nindendo says I should still have all my puzzle pieces when I get it back even if it is not the same unit. It took months to get them all on the 2DS I dont want to have to do it again.

Dom

Try to get parents with perfect IVs that cover as many stats as you can. If you have a Ditto with perfect HP and Defense then breed it with a Magnemite that has perfect Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense, and Speed. Once you start getting better Magnemite use those as parents until you get the IV spread that you want. If you can try to catch better Ditto at the Friend Safari to help out.

...or you can try visiting the Trade Station and make a trade for one ;)

Go to the trading board and try to find a 6iv ditto. Or just trade for a 5 iv magnemite. I could probably breed one for you in a few days if you give me a 48 battle point item or a dusk, shiny or dawn stone.

Great suggestions about the trading board, and thanks a ton for replying so quickly, and I honestly probably would have tried that. However, as luck and irony would have it, after I whined and complained here on the boards, I went and tried my luck one last time: I finally bred that little ferromagnetic monstrosity (yay!). Apparently all I needed to do was be a little smarter about how I was using the destiny knot.

Still, thanks a bunch for the suggestions and offers. I really appreciate the helpfulness from you guys.

...awhile ago, while planting Iapapas alongside every other 48-hour berry I had at the time to try to find mutations, THREE different berry plants, side-by-side, ended up bearing the same mutation! :eek:

I think maybe what happened was I had an Iapapa next to a something next to a Mago, and all three bore Pomegs. I forgot to write it down >.<
There's nothing unusual about that, Iapapa + Mago does yield Pomeg berries and the chance to hybridize applies to every tree planted next to a compatible neighbor. So if you plant Iapapa + Mago + Iapapa you can indeed get up to 3 Pomeg berries (one from each tree).

But the third berry wasn't an Iapapa or Mago, which is interesting. So a Pomeg berry mutated and grew on a plant that normally doesn't produce Pomeg mutations.

Tweaking/Holepunching in Platinum?

Okay, so I'm gonna try find a method of getting Darkrai and Shaymin in Pokemon Platinum Version using the holepunching/tweaking technique. I'm going to do it on an emulator, because obviously there are major risks of obliterating the save file. In order to do this, I am going to need a little bit of information that goes past what the Bulbapedia article says about it. So, if anyone with knowledge of this glitch could answer the questions below I have, I would very much appreciate it.

What I KNOW:

- This graphical glitch occurs in Generation IV games when you move rapidly on your bicycle in the fastest gear in a small area in the game, causing it to fail to load the area map (or freeze), allowing travel in the Mystery Zone, the area set between different locations that was never meant for players to tread in.

- In Diamond and Pearl only (as far as we know), this glitch can be used to gain access to areas where mythical event-only Pokemon reside when performed in a four-tile area in Jubilife City, next to a lamppost. The only known Pokemon that can be obtained with this glitch are Shaymin and Darkrai. Arceus is unobtainable because it requires an in-game flag to be set.

- The glitch cannot be used to obtain these Pokemon in Platinum because there is an invisible wall in the way of the path used in the previous two games.

- I believe that this glitch could not be used to obtain event Pokemon in HeartGold and SoulSilver because there are no areas programmed into that game with event Pokemon that don't require an in-game flag to be set.

- The glitch is unpredictable and dangerous, and can corrupt save data if done incorrectly.

- I have performed this glitch numerous times, without destroying my game.

What I NEED to know:

- How come when you travel far enough into the Mystery Zone, you reach only the map of Sinnoh, and after saving and resetting the game, everything turns back to normal?

- Why are the paths to Darkrai and Shaymin blocked in Platinum Version? Is it only because it was programmed slightly different, or did the developers purposely go in there and put in the barrier?

- What specific qualities do areas in the game need to have in order for one to tweak in? How come you can do it only in those four squares in Jubilife? I mean, I know it can be done in other areas, but how come out of the entirety of Jubilife you can only do it in those four squares?

- Anything I didn't previously mention. I want to learn! :)

Thanks for your help!

-MegaJirachi

Re: Tweaking/Holepunching in Platinum?

Okay, so I'm gonna try find a method of getting Darkrai and Shaymin in Pokemon Platinum Version using the holepunching/tweaking technique. I'm going to do it on an emulator, because obviously there are major risks of obliterating the save file. In order to do this, I am going to need a little bit of information that goes past what the Bulbapedia article says about it. So, if anyone with knowledge of this glitch could answer the questions below I have, I would very much appreciate it.

What I KNOW:

- This graphical glitch occurs in Generation IV games when you move rapidly on your bicycle in the fastest gear in a small area in the game, causing it to fail to load the area map (or freeze), allowing travel in the Mystery Zone, the area set between different locations that was never meant for players to tread in.

- In Diamond and Pearl only (as far as we know), this glitch can be used to gain access to areas where mythical event-only Pokemon reside when performed in a four-tile area in Jubilife City, next to a lamppost. The only known Pokemon that can be obtained with this glitch are Shaymin and Darkrai. Arceus is unobtainable because it requires an in-game flag to be set.

- The glitch cannot be used to obtain these Pokemon in Platinum because there is an invisible wall in the way of the path used in the previous two games.

- I believe that this glitch could not be used to obtain event Pokemon in HeartGold and SoulSilver because there are no areas programmed into that game with event Pokemon that don't require an in-game flag to be set.

- The glitch is unpredictable and dangerous, and can corrupt save data if done incorrectly.

- I have performed this glitch numerous times, without destroying my game.

What I NEED to know:

- How come when you travel far enough into the Mystery Zone, you reach only the map of Sinnoh, and after saving and resetting the game, everything turns back to normal?

- Why are the paths to Darkrai and Shaymin blocked in Platinum Version? Is it only because it was programmed slightly different, or did the developers purposely go in there and put in the barrier?

- What specific qualities do areas in the game need to have in order for one to tweak in? How come you can do it only in those four squares in Jubilife? I mean, I know it can be done in other areas, but how come out of the entirety of Jubilife you can only do it in those four squares?

- Anything I didn't previously mention. I want to learn! :)

Thanks for your help!

-MegaJirachi

Tweaking for Darkrai and Shaymin does not work for Platinum. I believe the glitch was fixed in Platinum so you need the event items to access them.

Other than Australia which region will give me the river pattern of Vivillion.

Dom

Dom

Based on the maps I found on Google, it looks like Mauritania, Mali, South Africa, and the majority of Australia (all except Northern Territory) are the places where River Vivillon appear. So if you don't want to use Australia, looks like you're going to Africa.

Re: Tweaking/Holepunching in Platinum?

Yeah, but there are still other places that you can tweak that might offer transport to them, we just haven't found them yet.

Is there any way to increase the chance of passing on hidden abilities through breeding? I'm breeding two froakies both with HA's and the rate of passing it on seems to be pretty low.

Is there any way to increase the chance of passing on hidden abilities through breeding? I'm breeding two froakies both with HA's and the rate of passing it on seems to be pretty low.
As of now, there's no way to increase the current chance of breeding hidden Abilities, which is 60%.

Mega Kahngaskan does strike twice on multiple hit moves? I just tried comet punch thinking this would be awesome with the mega ability, but it only hit twice.

should things like comet punch work with parental bond?

Mega Kahngaskan does strike twice on multiple hit moves? I just tried comet punch thinking this would be awesome with the mega ability, but it only hit twice.

should things like comet punch work with parental bond?
Parental Bond doesn't activate when using multi-strike moves.

Dom

Based on the maps I found on Google, it looks like Mauritania, Mali, South Africa, and the majority of Australia (all except Northern Territory) are the places where River Vivillon appear. So if you don't want to use Australia, looks like you're going to Africa.

Well none of those places are available on my 2ds for regions. I'm gonna have a hard time getting Monsoon and River.

Dom

So I just read that catching Groudon and Kyogre in Emerald involves their homes popping up for short periods of time. What happens if your battery is dead? "The game can be played. However, clock-based events will no longer occur." Am I SOL or will their locations be static? {I'm not quite that far in the game yet, if you're familiar with the story in Emerald I'm supposed to go meet Rayquaza for the first time now... *not* when I'm able to capture him yet, though.} I know I'll find out soon enough, but I may want to buy a new battery if I'm going to be unable to capture them in this game.

... yeah yeah, I know, ΩRΑS will be out before I know it, but I *own* Emerald; I don't yet know if I'll own ΩR or ΑS either one.

Last edited:

Simple Questions:Can someone please tell me all the pokemon game names that have been trademarked but not released? (For example Delta Emerald) thanks!

Oh yeah, you aren't SOL. You go to the Weather Institute to find the Route one of the two Pokemon resides, then the other one after you catch the first one. It isn't based on time but the number of steps you take, so the clock battery being dry will be no problem.

image.jpg
So attatched to this post I have a map showing the different areas of the world the different Vivillon patterns have. Now, I have just started playing through Kalos (I have Y Version for my 2DS) but I have a basic understanding of how the different patterns work. Depending on your location, you get a certain pattern Vivillon and only that pattern (unless you get a different one via Wonder Trade, or one of the two event patterns). I get the Modern Pattern, which I love so much! But I have two questions about the different patterns:

1: How does the 2DS judge location? Does it have a built in GPS that tells where you are, or (and I am betting this is what it does) does it use the location you gave it when you began the game? If you chose South Carolina as your location at the beginning of the game, meaning that you would get Modern Patterns, could you move to Japan and get Elegant Patterns, or would Modern Pattern be the only one you can catch?

2: If you direct your attention to the attached map, you kay notice that not EVERY area in the world is assigned a pattern, including parts of South America, the majority of Russia, and, surprisingly enough, part of Japan. What pattern would one get if their location was in one of these unassigned areas?

Your response would be much appreciated!

View attachment 95028
So attatched to this post I have a map showing the different areas of the world the different Vivillon patterns have. Now, I have just started playing through Kalos (I have Y Version for my 2DS) but I have a basic understanding of how the different patterns work. Depending on your location, you get a certain pattern Vivillon and only that pattern (unless you get a different one via Wonder Trade, or one of the two event patterns). I get the Modern Pattern, which I love so much! But I have two questions about the different patterns:

1: How does the 2DS judge location? Does it have a built in GPS that tells where you are, or (and I am betting this is what it does) does it use the location you gave it when you began the game? If you chose South Carolina as your location at the beginning of the game, meaning that you would get Modern Patterns, could you move to Japan and get Elegant Patterns, or would Modern Pattern be the only one you can catch?

2: If you direct your attention to the attached map, you kay notice that not EVERY area in the world is assigned a pattern, including parts of South America, the majority of Russia, and, surprisingly enough, part of Japan. What pattern would one get if their location was in one of these unassigned areas?

Your response would be much appreciated!

1) I believe it is based on the region which the player specified when starting the game up. I know there are people that restart games and choose different regions so they can get other forms of Vivillon (careful though, I believe that there is a limit towards how many times you can change you region).

2) Chances are those places do in fact have an assigned Vivillon pattern. These maps are player-produced (as far as I know, Nintendo/Game Freak have never released an official one), so the parts on that map that aren't highlighted likely don't have information on (or at the very least, not enough information to confirm) which Vivillon can be obtained there.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom