• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Yeah, unless you don't want to waste your Mudkip as an HM slave, in which case I would get a Tentacool, maybe, for later in the game.

Well i looked up zigzagoon and i can teach him/her RS, Strength Cut and Surf so that leaves my mudkip only having to learn Dive, and Water fall possibly and i will also teach it blizzard and when it hit 42 in 7 levels it will learn hydro pump PS i'm not evolving my mudkip either

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (XY Edition)

How do EVs work at Level 30? That's what mons for these friendlies like the Fairy Face-Off are set at.

How do EVs work at Level 30? That's what mons for these friendlies like the Fairy Face-Off are set at.

At Lv. 30, stat modifiers are 3/10 their effectiveness compared to at Lv. 100. So if I did the math right, it works out to 1 more point in a stat every 13-14 points, depending on how rounding works.

At Lv. 30, stat modifiers are 3/10 their effectiveness compared to at Lv. 100. So if I did the math right, it works out to 1 more point in a stat every 13-14 points, depending on how rounding works.

@_@
That makes my head hurt.

If I just take typical Level 100 spreads and divide them by 3/10, should that be the appropriate EV?

Wait, though. 4 EVs = 1 Stat Point at Level 100, but 8 EVs = 1 at Level 50. How does that work if it's X/10 where X is the tens place of the level of the mon (if that's why it's 3/10 for level 30)?

@_@
That makes my head hurt.

If I just take typical Level 100 spreads and divide them by 3/10, should that be the appropriate EV?

Wait, though. 4 EVs = 1 Stat Point at Level 100, but 8 EVs = 1 at Level 50. How does that work if it's X/10 where X is the tens place of the level of the mon (if that's why it's 3/10 for level 30)?
I spent half an hour explaining the math behind this just to accidentally delete it.

I really REALLY don't want to go through all of that again so I will just post what I got:
At Level 30
●As RiverAura said, 13 EVpoints per stat point.
●You will only get 19 stat points for maxing out EVs in a stat.
●The best spread to max out points is [247-247-16] or [248-248-14]. These will both give you [+19, +19, +1].
·If you run 252 EVs in any stat, you will lose the +1(lvl30)

The Outrage provided a link that proved this wrong. XD
●As the link also made me realize I did not factor in natures, so these actual stat increases may be wrong.

Again, this is at level 30. At level 100 this all changes back to the normal math.

EDIT: Ugh, I told myself I wouldn't do this but
Warning: Mathematicas ahead
You are going the right direction:
Level 100 = 4 EVs → Level 50 = 8 EVs

Level 100 * (1/2) = Level 50
4 EVs * (2/1) = 8 EVs

I used 1/2 in place of 5/10 because... well... yeah. (1/2)=(5/10)
You see, we multiplied the EVs by the integral of the effectiveness fraction.

Both of those statements are true statements, as in you cannot disprove 100*(1/2)=50 and 4*(2/1)=8.

Since they are both true, we can deduce from above statements that:
Level 100 = 4 EVs → Level 30 = ★ EVs

Level 100 * (3/10) = Level 30 {Which is also true}
4 EVs * (10/3) = ★ EVs

This makes ★ = 13.33~, since Pokemon loves to round down I made it 13.
So at Level 30 it takes 13 EVs to make 1 stat point.

Last edited:

Shortest version: 4 EVs will yield +0.01 points per level.

An important thing about EVs to realize is that when you convert it into a percentage, its effect on the particular stat is roughly the same regardless of level. It's just that at higher levels, the effect is much more precise (e.g. if you fully EV train a Lv.5 Pokemon you will maybe only see a +1 point difference, but that's only because the final stats are rounded to integers and at such a low level stats in general are really low. But a +1 point difference to a stat whose original value is 10 is exactly the same effect as a +10 difference to a stat whose original value is 100).

Thanks bunches to everyone who replied to my last post -- I'll respond properly soon, right now I'm kinda in a rush and excited :)

I have a question about competitions.

The Fairy Face-Off competition is not supposed to start until 8:00 PM EST. It is currently around 5:15. I've never done a compo before. Just now, I signed up, registered my box, etc. and after it gave me my Battle ID or whatever it's called and Game Synced, it threw me immediately into a battle!

It didn't give me a choice, it just threw me right into a battle. Furthermore, this was about five or ten minutes ago, so...well before the 8:00 PM start time. My question is, did that battle count as a compo battle? Or was it just a normal Battle Spot battle? How can I tell the difference?

If it was an official battle, then what the heck? The site and all official material says signups are until 7:59 PM today, and the compo starts at 8:00 PM, and you can battle ten times a day.

So...was that one of my ten battles, or what? The fact that it immediately threw me into a battle has thrown me for a loop, heh.

Thanks bunches to everyone who replied to my last post -- I'll respond properly soon, right now I'm kinda in a rush and excited :)

The Fairy Face-Off competition is not supposed to start until 8:00 PM EST. It is currently around 5:15. I've never done a compo before. Just now, I signed up, registered my box, etc. and after it gave me my Battle ID or whatever it's called and Game Synced, it threw me immediately into a battle!

It didn't give me a choice, it just threw me right into a battle. Furthermore, this was about five or ten minutes ago, so...well before the 8:00 PM start time. My question is, did that battle count as a compo battle? Or was it just a normal Battle Spot battle? How can I tell the difference?

If it was an official battle, then what the heck? The site and all official material says signups are until 7:59 PM today, and the compo starts at 8:00 PM, and you can battle ten times a day.

So...was that one of my ten battles, or what? The fact that it immediately threw me into a battle has thrown me for a loop, heh.

This will not help you any, but it should also be pointed out that the Eastern United States currently observes EDT, not EST. (Cause Daylight savings and whatnot)
This might not mean anything though~

Otherwise I am interested to see what you found out about this from your experience.

6IV Pokemon Breeding

I wasn't sure what category to put this under but...
I have a 6IV shiny eevee that I would like to breed and make more 6IV eevees for a trading shop where i will trade my 6IV eevees and evolve them for you. My question is I would also like to try to get shinies while I am breeding

A foreign eevee and a regular eevee are more likely to make a shiny. So I would need a foreign eevee to breed with my shiny eevee to make more shinies.

What would I need to breed the 6IV part of it with? Another 6IV eevee?

Also, what would a fair price for a 6IV eevee be? What would a fair price be for an evolved 6IV eevee be?

Thanks for your help!

Re: 6IV Pokemon Breeding

6 IV Eevee or 6 IV Ditto (from out of country, Masuda Method works well) would be the best bet (Give one of them a Destiny knot so they're guaranteed to pass along at least 5 IV's). Dittos are easier to find online than a 6 IV Eevee from my experience (I can always hook you up with a spare. It's also shiny). But really all you can do is breed, hatch, and check. Rinse and repeat. You'll end up with a LOT of 5 IV Eevees before you get your 6 IV one, and even then it's not guaranteed to be shiny. But on the bright side, people will trade dex completion pokemon for 5 IV Eevees.

6 IV AND shiny is a long project, but not impossible. Just don't be discouraged if you get a shiny that isn't 6 IV. (Increase your luck by giving the 6 IV Ditto Destiny knot and Eevee a Shiny Charm).

Hope I helped.

6 IV Eevee or 6 IV Ditto (from out of country, Masuda Method works well) would be the best bet (Give one of them a Destiny knot so they're guaranteed to pass along at least 5 IV's). Dittos are easier to find online than a 6 IV Eevee from my experience (I can always hook you up with a spare. It's also shiny). But really all you can do is breed, hatch, and check. Rinse and repeat. You'll end up with a LOT of 5 IV Eevees before you get your 6 IV one, and even then it's not guaranteed to be shiny. But on the bright side, people will trade dex completion pokemon for 5 IV Eevees.

6 IV AND shiny is a long project, but not impossible. Just don't be discouraged if you get a shiny that isn't 6 IV. (Increase your luck by giving the 6 IV Ditto Destiny knot and Eevee a Shiny Charm).

Hope I helped.

Just a little note, the Shiny Charm is a key item that is activated by obtaining it. You don't give it to a Pokémon. (That being said, definitely try to get one so that you have a better chance of hatching a shiny.)

Hope I helped.

Just a little note, the Shiny Charm is a key item that is activated by obtaining it. You don't give it to a Pokémon. (That being said, definitely try to get one so that you have a better chance of hatching a shiny.)

My mistake. I only new of its existence and what it did. Haven't received it yet.

Besides, if you combine a Destiny Knot, Power Item, and 6IV parent you can absolutely guarantee the offspring will have 5 IVs (plus 1 of 32 chance of a 6IV child). But if/once you can get a 6IV pair going, you can leave out the Power item as the Destiny Knot alone will guarantee 5IVs.

@Lunacy Fringe @RiverAura @Stratelier
Ok Thanks! It turns out I was wrong. The eevee I have is no where near a 6IV but this is good to know for future purposes :)

This will not help you any, but it should also be pointed out that the Eastern United States currently observes EDT, not EST. (Cause Daylight savings and whatnot)
This might not mean anything though~

Otherwise I am interested to see what you found out about this from your experience.

I think I've learned that the "ten battles per day" thing doesn't mean what we think it means. It doesn't mean in any given day you can only participate in ten battles, it means that overall, you can only participate in ten battles per day of the competition. This competition was three days long, so the limit is thirty (10 x 3) battles.

Because the first day I did 12 battles, the next day I did three, then today I did fifteen and it finally stopped me when I hit the 30 mark.

(On a related note -- I am now 100% certain that Mawilite should not be banned. No way in the Jaws of the Abyss is Mega Mawile Uber, not by the longest of long shots.)

If an event is coming to your continent country etc and it says you can go to Gamestop stores and receive a special code for a _____ do you just go to a nearby gamestop and ask for a code or like do you have to buy something or what

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom