• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions + Simple Answers: ORAS Edition

How do the levels in secret bases work? are they based on your level?

So the other day I got an Iron Fist Chimchar through Wondertrade! I'm pretty excited, but I can't remember the ability ever being officially released? If this little guy is legit I'm pretty excited! I've been hoping for access to other HA starters.

The only starters to not have their abilities officially released are the Johto and Unova ones. Which is a shame because Sheer Force Feraligatr, Reckless Emboar and Contrary Serperior can definitely be useful.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (XY Edition)

Does Synchronize even work on Mirage Spot legendaries? I've been soft-reseting in front of Cresselia forever and only got Modest once

I think synchronize only works for wild Pokémon, and Pokémon that are intractable via the overworld. The mirage Legendaries show up via a portal, so I don't think they are influenced by abilities or other factors.

Re: Older Games: Simple Questions Thread

I just noticed on both Ebay and Google Images, that the game paks of the Japanese versions of Pokemon Gold and Silver, unlike their U.S. counterparts and the Gen I games, actually weren't gold and silver at all. (They were actually two different, weird colors, although Crystal still has the same color there as overseas). This is especially odd, since paks of all Gen III games are the same colors in Japan as in the States. (And before anyone assumes they're bootlegged, no, I did not see *any* Japanese G/S paks that actually were their colors.

Could anyone tell me why, prior to Gen IV, only Gold and Silver (and even then, only in Japan) weren't presented in matching-colored game cartridges?

I'm about to take on the E4 in Black. Do I get a chance to change my team before encountering Reshiram?

Yes, there will be a section between the E4 challenge and fighting Reshiram where you have access to both healing and a PC system.

Do Pokemon transferred via PokeBank count as being "received in a trade"? Meaning, do you need a badge for them to listen to you past a certain level?

Do Pokemon transferred via PokeBank count as being "received in a trade"? Meaning, do you need a badge for them to listen to you past a certain level?
If you are not the OT (Original Trainer) then they will not listen to you as you describe regardless. Only Pokemon that you yourself captured will listen to you regardless of how many shiny pins you have.

Heck, even my event Shiny Beldum stopped listening to me at lvl11 because his OT was Steven. >.>

During story mode, if I have another Rayquaza in my party, will Zinnia only teach the in-game Quaza Dragon's Ascent or will she blanket-teach it to any Quaza in your party?

That would be friendship. The affection from Amie. I'm getting messages like "I know you can do it!" surviving moves it shouldn't (I don't want the game easier) and it staring at me mid battle

You can't lower Amie Affection. So your stuck with those messages and benefits that come with Amie I'm sorry to say.

Doesn't affection reset if the pokemon is traded? Like it does with happiness?

Yes, but when it's traded back, the affection returns to what it was prior to the trade. So, in short, affection cannot be lowered. End of story.

masuda method question

so, i have successfully used the masuda method a number of times to get shinies in the past, but the arival has brought up a new question for me that i was hoping another mm'er could answer.

If i have both x/y and oras, and have the shiny charm for both games, would it be a good idea to get a couple of boxes of eggs in one of the games, and if none of them hatched shiny reload to before they were hatched and trade them to the other game to try again, or would the process of trading so many eggs be more time consuming than just going and getting new ones from the day care couple?

Re: masuda method question

Once you receive an egg from the Day Care man, all of its values are calculated and permanent. That includes the shiny value. If you have an egg which hatches into a non-shiny Pokémon and you restart the game to hatch it again, it still won't hatch into a shiny Pokémon, no matter how often you try. This is because whether or not a Pokémon is shiny is determined at the very moment you receive its egg. Trading an egg to another game doesn't change its shiny value.

You'd better start breeding again bro

Trading an egg to another game doesn't change its shiny value.
Actually it can change whether the egg will hatch shiny or not, because the Pokemon's OT value is part of the shiny calculation and all eggs inherit the OT of whomever hatches them (otherwise they'd be considered traded Pokemon). However this knowledge is useless without hacking to know what the hidden values are.

Trading an egg to another game doesn't change its shiny value.
Actually it can change whether the egg will hatch shiny or not, because the Pokemon's OT value is part of the shiny calculation and all eggs inherit the OT of whomever hatches them (otherwise they'd be considered traded Pokemon). However this knowledge is useless without hacking to know what the hidden values are.

Oh, the OT is part of the calculation
I wasn't aware of that, thanks

Serebii just announced that HA Unova starters are going to be distributed by code in Japan, are these codes compatible with other language games and systems? Or should I start praying that these eventually get an international event as well?

Serebii just announced that HA Unova starters are going to be distributed by code in Japan, are these codes compatible with other language games and systems? Or should I start praying that these eventually get an international event as well?
I think the best thing is to wait until the japanese players that will get the HA Unova starters start breeding them and spread them through the GTS and Wondertrade.

They might get an international event at some point, but given they are breedable chances are you'll be able to get one through trading. I know if I manage to get them pretty quickly, and a lot of people seem to still need/want them, I'll probably do a breeding giveaway for them to spread them out.

This post on Reddit has a video explanation of how the continuous path works at the Battle Resort. Alternately, you can try using this path in Mauville, but it's a bit trickier to set up.

Now unfortunately, unlike the Prism Tower Circle, you will need to reset your direction after each egg hatches. But on the other hand, both of these locations are very close to a daycare center (and in the case of the Battle Resort, an IV checker).

Can you give link straight to the video..? I want to learn about loop, but reddit is banned in my country so I can't check the site.

Thanks.

Can you give link straight to the video..? I want to learn about loop, but reddit is banned in my country so I can't check the site.

Thanks.

Honestly I find breeding in XY to be better. The Battle Resort is either annoying to navigate (having to avoid NPCs, quicksand, trees, rocks) or the loop is just inferior. The loop requires you to go through quicksand and also every time an egg hatches you have to go find the one of the corners to start the loop again (it works on any of the four corners of the island, if you start where the video below shows, you'll work out each corner you can start it from by taking it). Here's the video anyway, I'll let you make your own mind up about it:

[video=youtube;0ajEoNBPUhg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ajEoNBPUhg[/video]

Ahh I hope Nintendo does eventually release all the HA starters internationally. I'd be happy to get one in a trade! But I also really want Hold Back Serperior for contests, haha!

@Zeb;
It's not that hard to reset--you're going in a straight line, so if the egg interrupts you, just hit the D-pad in the direction your character is facing, and you'll reach the corner. It's still far superior being beside the breeding centre and IV judge.

@Zeb;
It's not that hard to reset--you're going in a straight line, so if the egg interrupts you, just hit the D-pad in the direction your character is facing, and you'll reach the corner. It's still far superior being beside the breeding centre and IV judge.

I never said it was hard to reset, it's inconvenient compared to the hatching routes in XY where the loop is holding one direction constantly without having to go to the corner after every egg. And it being far superior is a matter of opinion, because I don't think it is, which is why I said people can watch the video/try it out and decide for themselves which they prefer because it's preference. After trying it out, I'd rather stick to breeding in XY, despite having to fly to IV checker.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom