• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

I'm reading about pokemon that you can catch on each route on bulbapedia but I am confused about the percentages under rate. What do these mean?
Also why is it different on some other pages where it just says rare, common or average?

The percentages indicate how much of a chance you have into running into a given Pokémon when you go into the grass. For example, if in HeartGold you go into the Violet City side of Dark Cave and run into a wild Pokémon, there's a 60% chance of it being a Geodude, a 39% chance of it being a Zubat, and a 1% chance of being a Dunsparce. The higher the percentage, the more likely you are to find the corresponding Pokémon, so you can expect to see mainly Geodude and Zubat in Dark Cave, more Geodude than Zubat, and you'd have to be pretty lucky to find a Dunsparce.

As for rare/common/average, they're just placeholders until someone can get ahold of the actual numbers and add them instead.

I'm going to use the equations on the page about Tall Grass
Tall grass - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

It still has descriptions such as Very Common, Common, Semi-rare, Rare and Very Rare. Are there percentages that let me know which one would be which?
Using your example, 60% chance of running into Geodude then would that be Very Common or Common? Is there a way I can find out?

Thanks x

I'm reading about pokemon that you can catch on each route on bulbapedia but I am confused about the percentages under rate. What do these mean?
Also why is it different on some other pages where it just says rare, common or average?

The percentages indicate how much of a chance you have into running into a given Pokémon when you go into the grass. For example, if in HeartGold you go into the Violet City side of Dark Cave and run into a wild Pokémon, there's a 60% chance of it being a Geodude, a 39% chance of it being a Zubat, and a 1% chance of being a Dunsparce. The higher the percentage, the more likely you are to find the corresponding Pokémon, so you can expect to see mainly Geodude and Zubat in Dark Cave, more Geodude than Zubat, and you'd have to be pretty lucky to find a Dunsparce.

As for rare/common/average, they're just placeholders until someone can get ahold of the actual numbers and add them instead.

It still has descriptions such as Very Common, Common, Semi-rare, Rare and Very Rare. Are there percentages that let me know which one would be which?
Using your example, 60% chance of running into Geodude then would that be Very Common or Common? Is there a way I can find out?

Thanks x

That looks to have more to do with how frequently you get into a wild battle at all in a given area, as opposed to how frequently certain kinds of Pokémon appear as opposed to other kinds, unless I'm misreading it.

Thanks x

That looks to have more to do with how frequently you get into a wild battle at all in a given area, as opposed to how frequently certain kinds of Pokémon appear as opposed to other kinds, unless I'm misreading it.

ohh yeah I see now
in that case is there a way to find out which areas are very common, common etc. ?
thank you so much x :)

Last edited:
Not sure if this is exactly a 'simple' question, but nonetheless, someone might be able to help me...

Basically, I just got the error "The saved game data is corrupted. Refer to the electronic manual for details'. I'm also fairly certain it's because I bumped into my desk with my 3DS (right where you insert the cartridge, and I have this horrible habit of sitting in weird positions when reading or playing on any kind of handheld, so sometimes i accidentally bump into things) just as I was saving. I've already searched the internet, and there doesn't seem to be any hope. Trying here nonetheless. It's a physical copy, not a download.

Also, in case there's nothing to be done about it, I got a few more questions:
- How do I delete my current non-working file? (same way as usual?)
- If I restart my game, would I be able to regain my Johto starters from Bank? (I'm guessing not...)
- And lastly, what Event Pokémon are currently still available?

Lots of thanks in advance!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, but I haven't used any kind of cheating devices. I've gotten a few (most likely as they were just too perfect) hacked pokémon through wondertrade, but I never kept those. I dunno if this should have had any kind of influence?

Last edited:
- If I restart my game, would I be able to regain my Johto starters from Bank? (I'm guessing not...)
Pokemon Bank isn't linked to any of your save files in specific; anything stored on your Bank account can be transferred to any of your Gen 6 games.

Oops, that was awkwardly phrased. I meant to ask whether or not they could be regained if you'd already gotten them. I put mine on my AS file, so theyre gone now as well. I'm assuming not, as otherwise people could easily obtain doubles

Is there a way to find out if wild pokemon encounters are very common, common, etc. in a certain area?

I know Gen VI has been out for almost two years now, but I have a question about the "new" Exp. Share. I know with the old held item, IVs for battling a Pokemon were given to the holder of EXP. Share as well. With the new version, do all party Pokemon get the IVs?

I know Gen VI has been out for almost two years now, but I have a question about the "new" Exp. Share. I know with the old held item, IVs for battling a Pokemon were given to the holder of EXP. Share as well. With the new version, do all party Pokemon get the IVs?
Do you meam EVs? If so, yes all party members will get the EVs from the defeated pokemon with the Gen 6 Exp. Share.

Does pressing A & B repeatedly after throwing Pokéball really make it easier to catch?

Not from what I am aware of. The only time this has generally worked for me is on FireRed a few years ago (catching Articuno) when I did a supposed "A/B" pressing technique to turn the mechanics of the Pokéball into a 'Master ball' ensuring definite capture. I'm not sure if I was lucky or if it actually happened that way, but as far as I know, that doesn't work in today's games whatsoever...

Does pressing A & B repeatedly after throwing Pokéball really make it easier to catch?

Not from what I am aware of. The only time this has generally worked for me is on FireRed a few years ago (catching Articuno) when I did a supposed "A/B" pressing technique to turn the mechanics of the Pokéball into a 'Master ball' ensuring definite capture. I'm not sure if I was lucky or if it actually happened that way, but as far as I know, that doesn't work in today's games whatsoever...

It indeed worked for me back in Fire Red, after I completed Indigo League, I decided to complete Pokédex, so I tried to catch a Pidgey on Route 1. And Pokéball failed to catch it at first and I was like "What the hell?! That's a Lv. 3 Pidgey!" and then I made sure it works (for Fire Red). But now I re-started Pokémon X and not sure if it still works. Because it really doesn't make any sense honestly.

I'd like to think it does work for XY, but if it was there in the game data to be done, they probably would have patched over it in an update... since their so dead-set against any kind of cheating, especially these last two years still trying to block hacked Pokémon from being transferred through Bank... Did you try it on a legendary back in FRLG? I think it worked a couple of times for me back then.

No, there isn't any combination of buttons that make Pokemon easier to catch. Most people do it anyway to make themselves feel better. I know I do.

Can someone explain the story of X to me?

So in Pokemon Y it makes sense, Yveltal is the bringer of death/destruction, and the ultimate weapon amplifies that to kill/destroy everyone/everything but how does it work in X if Xerneas is the bringer of Life, what does the story say about the ultimate weapon?

So in Pokemon Y it makes sense, Yveltal is the bringer of death/destruction, and the ultimate weapon amplifies that to kill/destroy everyone/everything but how does it work in X if Xerneas is the bringer of Life, what does the story say about the ultimate weapon?
Probably something like how Xerneas radiates life energy and the weapon uses it as a traditional power source?

Probably something like how Xerneas radiates life energy and the weapon uses it as a traditional power source?

Is that a guess or is that how the game explains it? What I mean is does it still kill like in Y or give life as Xerneas would suggest like making Lysandre immorta?

Last edited:
Mostly guesswork, of course -- but we do know:

- AZ built the machine to resurrect his Floette, and it involved the sacrifice of countless Pokemon
- AZ later turned it into a weapon of mass destruction (implying Yveltal was possibly involved)
- AZ is immortal (implying Xerneas was involved)

And we know, regardless of version, that:
- In modern times, you find only one legendary powering the weapon (Xerneas/Yveltal)
- Team Flare attempted to sacrifice many Pokemon to power it
- After Lysandre's defeat, it had enough power to fire off one shot, which Lysandre turned on itself, destroying it

But we do not know:
- Whether Team Flare modified the weapon after discovering it (certainly they built a base around it)
- Whether Team Flare used the same legendary that AZ did

Last edited:
So I recently managed to get access to Crescent Isle so I've been soft resetting for nature and ivs.

Problem is, I've managed to get a Bold 5IV Cresselia but it's defense iv is 4-5. Should I keep it or keep resetting?

If I get hit with a move like Knock Off and my Pokeyman's item gets knocked off, where does it go? Does it get put in my bag or is it gone for ever? I haven't learned the answer to this question since these kinds of moves were introduced, so I've avoided them like the plague and to this day I don't put a lot of effort into giving items to my Pokeymans because I'm afraid of losing them. Making items disappear permanently seems uncharacteristically brutal for a game like Pokemon, but I've never actually had this answered to me, so I didn't want to find out myself.

If I get hit with a move like Knock Off and my Pokeyman's item gets knocked off, where does it go? Does it get put in my bag or is it gone for ever? I haven't learned the answer to this question since these kinds of moves were introduced, so I've avoided them like the plague and to this day I don't put a lot of effort into giving items to my Pokeymans because I'm afraid of losing them. Making items disappear permanently seems uncharacteristically brutal for a game like Pokemon, but I've never actually had this answered to me, so I didn't want to find out myself.

In the battle Maison and on wifi, when the opposing Pokemon uses knock off on your Pokemon, the item is lost but not lost forever. The item gets restored after the battle, this inclused the times that the item gets used or stolen. If it happens in a wild battle or a battle with an npc on routs, then the item is lost forever. So you're pretty much mostly safe. :)

In the battle Maison and on wifi, when the opposing Pokemon uses knock off on your Pokemon, the item is lost but not lost forever. The item gets restored after the battle, this inclused the times that the item gets used or stolen. If it happens in a wild battle or a battle with an npc on routs, then the item is lost forever. So you're pretty much mostly safe. :)

I'm glad to know that items are safe over wi-fi, but holy crap! You're telling me that if I had put my special XY Torchic with the Blazikenite up against a stupid Rattata or whatever the hell learns Knock Off, and it had connected, that was it for the Blazikenite? That's really stupid. Thanks for making me shudder at the thought, and I'm glad I've been playing it safe all these years!

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom