• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

If you hurt it or gave it a status condition that would take away from it placing. As far as I remember though.

That doesn't make any sense either, the only way to have a good chance of catching a Scyther or Pinsir in the contest is to knock their HP down and use status conditions. In fact, I've read that this is actually recommended. So I think you're incorrect.

I'm still guessing that it's completely random chance and that no Pokemon actually has a higher value than others.

Re: What does "Reprisal" mean?

The screen was too crowded for me to see exactly what happened, but a lot of the enemies had the word "Reprisal" popping up over their heads in the same manner as a status condition. Does anyone know exactly what "Reprisal" is?
"Reprisal" comes from moves like Counter or Mirror Coat. While this status is active, any time the Pokemon is hit, their attacker receives half the damage dealt and this turns deadly fast (second only to Destiny Bond). Fortunately, it takes a few seconds to start up so try to hit them before they can activate it.

@Kelleo; a quote from Bulba on the subject:

The score earned for a given Pokémon in Generation IV is the sum of the following:

• The level of the Pokémon relative to the maximum that can be found in the contest (e.g. before the National Pokédex, the maximum value for Paras would be 17, but after the National Pokédex, this would be 34), as a percentage
  • The Pokémon's IVs relative to the maximum (186), as a percentage
  • The Pokémon's HP relative to its maximum, as a percentage
  • A rarity factor, either 60 (Caterpie, Metapod, Weedle, Kakuna, Wurmple, Silcoon, Cascoon, or Kricketot), 80 (all Pokémon not mentioned), or 100 (Scyther or Pinsir)
  • Other factors, such as Shininess, do not affect the outcome

So it seems that status condition don't factor in, but HP and IVs do. So it's possible the Pokemon you caught for the contest possibly had a combination of low HP and bad IVs.

Question: does chaining with the DexNav in OR/AS actually increase your odds of finding a shiny?? I've seen so much conflicting advice about this, and I'm not sure what information is more recent/up-to-date. Some sources say that it works similarly to the PokeRadar from X/Y in that your chain maxes out at 40 (after which your odds are ~1/200), your chain breaks if the wild Pokemon gets scared away or if you run from battle etc. Other sources say that using the DexNav to find a Pokemon simply yields a higher shiny rate by default similar to Friend Safaris in X/Y, and that chain doesn't matter in terms of shininess.

So which is correct?

Question: does chaining with the DexNav in OR/AS actually increase your odds of finding a shiny?? I've seen so much conflicting advice about this, and I'm not sure what information is more recent/up-to-date. Some sources say that it works similarly to the PokeRadar from X/Y in that your chain maxes out at 40 (after which your odds are ~1/200), your chain breaks if the wild Pokemon gets scared away or if you run from battle etc. Other sources say that using the DexNav to find a Pokemon simply yields a higher shiny rate by default similar to Friend Safaris in X/Y, and that chain doesn't matter in terms of shininess.

So which is correct?

Fortunately for you, this video was posted today. Just sit, watch, and learn from true Pokemon experts.

[video=youtube;1cT410kgzXk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cT410kgzXk[/video]

So which is correct?

Fortunately for you, this video was posted today. Just sit, watch, and learn from true Pokemon experts.

[video=youtube;1cT410kgzXk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cT410kgzXk[/video]

I had actually watched it already which is what prompted my question in the first place XD I still see some sources claiming that DexNav Chaining is a thing so I'm still unsure of who to trust ._. but I guess a flat rate with no chaining is easier anyway so I'll go with that ^_^'

Thanks for the reply!

@Kelleo; a quote from Bulba on the subject:

The score earned for a given Pokémon in Generation IV is the sum of the following:

• The level of the Pokémon relative to the maximum that can be found in the contest (e.g. before the National Pokédex, the maximum value for Paras would be 17, but after the National Pokédex, this would be 34), as a percentage
  • The Pokémon's IVs relative to the maximum (186), as a percentage
  • The Pokémon's HP relative to its maximum, as a percentage
  • A rarity factor, either 60 (Caterpie, Metapod, Weedle, Kakuna, Wurmple, Silcoon, Cascoon, or Kricketot), 80 (all Pokémon not mentioned), or 100 (Scyther or Pinsir)
  • Other factors, such as Shininess, do not affect the outcome

So it seems that status condition don't factor in, but HP and IVs do. So it's possible the Pokemon you caught for the contest possibly had a combination of low HP and bad IVs.

Oh, I see... Well, it still seems pretty hard to actually win. I'm not sure how I won in HG now way back when the games were new.

What is the last model of DS at the moment? 3DS XL?
I own Nintendo 3DS. Should I buy 3DS XL or should I wait for next models to exist?

Note; I play only Pokémon games. I won't have problems with 3DS as long as Nintendo releases Pokémon games for 3DS.

Pretty sure the "New" 3DS is the newest (regular size and XL came out around the same time). The naming is annoyingly confusing, but the New 3DS and New 3DS XL are more powerful systems, with nice new extras such as Amiibo compatibility, among other things.

I'd recommend checking Nintendo's site, since they'd probably have a nice breakdown of the features.

The capital-n New systems are pretty pricey right now (being new systems and all) so you may be able to get a good price on the regular 3DS XL if a bigger screen is really all you need!

(That being said, since these systems are new we don't know how future Pokemon games will be handled - there may be New 3DS-exclusive functions, like there were DSi-exclusives back when that was a current system. We don't know if future Pokemon games will utilize Amiibos, or if they'll simply take advantage of the newer system.)

Got it. So this is pointless to buy a new/updated Nintendo console unless Pokémon will release a game for them. And that's the thing to think about it when they do.

(I am really not familiar with Nintendo consoles. That's why I needed to ask. I am kinda saving money. I can use it for a new Nintendo console, only if it is necessary.)

Thanks very much.
here's the current 3DS family:

1) Nintendo 2DS: this is the "entry" 3DS. as implied by the name, it does not have the 3D feature. it also does not fold making it the least portable member of the 3DS family, though it is still portable. and finally, the 2DS only has one speaker, compared to the standard two, leaving much to be desired with the sound quality. it is the cheapest with prices ranging from 60 to 120 USD depending on refurbished, new, bundles, etc. despite not having 3D, it will run any and every 3DS game (bar New 3DS exclusives and games that 'require' the Circle Pad Pro). as a small perk, the 2DS comes with a charger while the other two do not (the 3DS family uses the same charger for the DSi).

2) Nintendo 3DS (XL): this is the original 3DS. it comes in two sizes: regular and XL. the XL is obviously larger and, as i recall, has a slightly longer battery life. it's currently priced at around 100 to 170 USD, depending on size, color, and vendor.

3) New Nintendo 3DS (XL): this is the DSi of the 3DS family. it is largely a hardware upgrade for the family, decreasing loading times fairly noticeably. also comes in two sizes. the regular size has the option of faceplates for customization, however it is not readily available in North America outside of the Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer bundle that was recently released. it also includes a second, smaller circle "pad" (more like a circle nub that you could find in the old laptops at school) to reduce the need for a Circle Pad Pro, as well as upgrades to the stereoscopic 3D that allows for facial tracking for better viewing angles (the OG 3DS only has one viewing angle, straight on). the stronger and faster cpu and other hardware allows for certain games to be exclusive to the New 3DS, such as Xenoblade Chronicles port from the Wii. unlike other 3DS models, the New 3DS uses a micro SD card. the price for a New Nintendo 3DS is around 170-200 USD, depending on size and vendor.

if you want a Pokemon 3DS, your best bet would probably be a 2DS. refurbished they cost only around 60 bucks and you can also find new ones that come bundled with a digital copy of Pokemon XY for like ~120. furthermore, Pokemon doesn't use the 3D feature all that much and it tends to cause framerate issues in the game anyways. if you want to branch out more or if you are concerned about portability, then possibly the OG 3DS might be for you. otherwise unless you want Xenoblade Chronicles 3D or SSB4*, or want to gamble that the New 3DS won't end up like the DSi (ie., not taken advantage of and not having many exclusive games released), i'd steer clear from it.

* - not a New 3DS exclusive, but certainly plays better on one.

Last edited:
Can Xerneas and Yveltal be soft reset after they've been Ko'd, or are their nature/IVs set as soon as you first encounter them?

In other words, is there any way to skip the initial cutscene where they awaken?

Can Xerneas and Yveltal be soft reset after they've been Ko'd, or are their nature/IVs set as soon as you first encounter them?

In other words, is there any way to skip the initial cutscene where they awaken?
I'm not 100% sure on this one, but for skipping the cutscene: No, there isn't. Unfortunately you have to keep watching it over and over. D: But no, their nature/Iv's aren't set, as far as I know, so every time you reset they are completely different. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though, but from what I've experienced it isn't set.

Can anyone explain to me how getting Hoopa via a 'serial code' will work, please?

Sorry to sound dumb, but every other event in the UK at Game has been simply walking in, downloading mystery gift, and walking out.

Do I need to ask the staff for this 'code'? May I get more than one (I have 3 gen 6 games)? Will I only get one if I purchase something in store?

Can anyone explain to me how getting Hoopa via a 'serial code' will work, please?

Sorry to sound dumb, but every other event in the UK at Game has been simply walking in, downloading mystery gift, and walking out.

Do I need to ask the staff for this 'code'? May I get more than one (I have 3 gen 6 games)? Will I only get one if I purchase something in store?

I live in the US, but assuming things work the same way:

You will need to go to the location that's distributing the codes, go in and ask an employee about it and they should hand you a card. You DO NOT need to purchase anything to get these. These are free events meant to encourage people to visit the store.

As to getting multiple cards, that depends. For the Diancie event I had wanted an extra for a friend, but they weren't allowed to give out more than one. For the Dragonite distribution, the girl gave me two cards without me even asking ("in case you want one for each game"). I am assuming that they're stricter on legendary events, since those probably have a lot more demand.

I live in the US, but assuming things work the same way:

You will need to go to the location that's distributing the codes, go in and ask an employee about it and they should hand you a card. You DO NOT need to purchase anything to get these. These are free events meant to encourage people to visit the store.

As to getting multiple cards, that depends. For the Diancie event I had wanted an extra for a friend, but they weren't allowed to give out more than one. For the Dragonite distribution, the girl gave me two cards without me even asking ("in case you want one for each game"). I am assuming that they're stricter on legendary events, since those probably have a lot more demand.

Thanks so much for the info ^_^

For me when I went into GMSTP for the Diancie codes (and to preorder AlphaSapphire), I took a chance and asked if I could have an extra codes for the simple reason that I had both X and Y and he let me have an extra no problem. I think it simply depends on a few factors like how early in the distribution did you go, is the employee a jerkface, and how crowded/busy is that location.

I went relatively late into the time frame of the legendary distribution and the fact that I put in for a pre-order may have soften the employee's grasp on them codes, but it doesn't hurt to ask :)

Could someone explain for me about fairy pokemon? what type(s) are they strong against and what type(s) are strong against them?

Could someone explain for me about fairy pokemon? what type(s) are they strong against and what type(s) are strong against them?

Fairy is Super Affective against Dragon, Dark and Fighting types and is weak to Poison and Steel types.

Fairy is Super Affective against Dragon, Dark and Fighting types and is weak to Poison and Steel types.
Adding on that they hit Fire, Poison, and Steel for half damage and are resistant to Bug, Dark, Fighting while nullifying Dragon :)

Got a question that needs answering:
I am in Rustboro City, doing a soft reset for Cranidos. Can I check the pokedex to see if I got a shiny Cranidos when the batch of them are sent to PC so I don't have to go in and out of the Pokecenter all the time?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom