• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Can I only thief one item per battle? For instance, I have six level 100 Scyther that know false swipe and thief. I used the first and got a metal coat and then switched to the next. One hundred or so later I had yet to see another metal coat. Was I unlucky or can I only get one per battle period. My intention was to use the six Scythers to go get six dragon scales, since Dratini is only 1% fishing in SM and I wanted to get six out of finding one wild Dratini. Any insight?

Can I only thief one item per battle? For instance, I have six level 100 Scyther that know false swipe and thief. I used the first and got a metal coat and then switched to the next. One hundred or so later I had yet to see another metal coat. Was I unlucky or can I only get one per battle period. My intention was to use the six Scythers to go get six dragon scales, since Dratini is only 1% fishing in SM and I wanted to get six out of finding one wild Dratini. Any insight?

Moved your question to this thread, you can just post any questions here instead of making a new thread for it :)

As for your question: I'm pretty sure you can Thief multiple items per battle, I think I got multiple Razor Claws in a SOS Battle once. There's only a 5% chance of getting a Metal Coat, that chance is extremely low and it can indeed happen that you'll just get nothing for 100 battles, I gave up looking for a King's Rock for that reason.

If you're specifically looking for items, I suggest getting a Pokémon with the Ability Compound Eyes (e.g. Butterfree). This Ability increases the chance of finding a Pokémon holding an item from 50%/5%/1% to 60%/20%/5%, if the Pokémon with the Ability is the first in your party. So you'd then have a 20% chance to find a Metal Coat and a Dragon Scale instead of 5%.

You indeed can. Used to go around with 6 Mimikyus for Hakamo-o stealing and get all dem razor claws. Good were those times when you could get a Lunala and a Cosmog out of a Weavile...

Moved your question to this thread, you can just post any questions here instead of making a new thread for it :)

Thanks. Appreciate it.
Random: it is day 140 of deployment, but I earned 7 Gold Bottle Caps while Pelago farming yesterday....

Would anyone have a guide to berry farming and pokeblock making in Gen III? I'm replaying Sapphire and trying my hand at Contests

A'ight, I have a question that has been bothering me.
I've been trying to play around with the Pokéradar on Pokémon Diamond, and sometimes the chain breaks.
I know the usual reasonings on why the chain would break; encountering another Pokémon, encountering a Pokémon on a patch that hadn't shaken, or scrolling the patches of grass off-screen.
However, sometimes the chain have been breaking because: yes. I encounter the Pokémon on a patch of grass that had shook because of the radar. It's the same one I'd been chaining, and I have Super Repel on, so it can't be a simple wild one. Yet, the chain break all the same! It had happened last week, while I was trying for a Porygon, and now, when I was trying for a simple Bidoof. Is it a weird glitch, is it because of my cartridge that is a counterfeit, unfortunately, or what?

@SpikOriundo No your game isn't glitched or a counterfeit. The sad truth is that chains sometimes randomly break. It happens to everyone, happened to me loads of times too.

Next to avoiding scrolling off-screen, the following can help avoid the chain randomly breaking:
- Pick the shaking patch that is at least 4 patches away from you.
- Make sure you're always surrounded by grass patches, if you go to the edge of a grass field the chance is higher that no shaking patches will generate for you.

Even with this there's still a small chance the chain will break for no reason at all though. It's rare, but it happens.

how many do we have pokemon:

with higher attack then their special attack?
with higher special attack then their attack?
with special attack of the same value as attack?

the same goes for the defences.

Oh, so the chain CAN just randomly break? Alright then...
*inhales deeply* BBBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUULLLLLLSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH-

Anyways, good to know. Is that on the article on Bulbapedia? I don't remember that specifically. I know it is for XY, where the patch of grass may not have any Pokémon (which is another level of bullsh-), but can't remember if it is for DPP.

Oh, so the chain CAN just randomly break? Alright then...
*inhales deeply* BBBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUULLLLLLSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH-

Anyways, good to know. Is that on the article on Bulbapedia? I don't remember that specifically. I know it is for XY, where the patch of grass may not have any Pokémon (which is another level of bullsh-), but can't remember if it is for DPP.

It's from various guides on Pokéradar chaining in DPPt, I did a lot of research when learning how to chain myself :p Yeah, the radar of XY is just ridiculous on a whole other level :/

One more question regarding fourth gen:
I really want to chain a shiny Beldum (as much as I hate the mechanic of the random chain breaks). After a few days, a Beldum swarm started today. However, I don't have time to do it today.
So, I'm going to abuse the system on my favor, and everyday change the time on my DS, so that the change only happens the other day.
My question is: is that actually going to work? Will I be able to cheat the system like that?

Can confirm that that should indeed work, as long as you don't let the time go past midnight. E.g. if you put the time on 11:59PM it will turn midnight ingame a minute later and the swarm will change. So put the time on 1AM or something, and make sure to change it again as soon as it's close to midnight.

Aaahh, so that's how it'd work. Too bad you gave me the explanation 3 hours after midnight on my time zone, so now I have a Pidgey outbreak :p Oh well, gotta remember for next time then.

I want to go back to playing Platinum and want to use Togekiss, is there anyway to ensure Togepi hatches with Serene Grace and not Hustle?

Does anybody know the heights and weights of the Totem Pokémon? I keep reading that they have different heights and weights, but I can't find any hard numbers anywhere.

For extra obsessiveness, I am including Totem Hakamo-o from the SM demo in this question.

First of: deleted the previous message so I could post here again. The message said that there was no way to guarantee the ability, and it'd be best to save before receiving the Togepi egg.

Now, my question (I've been asking a lot of 4th gen question, dang): I want a shiny Manaphy. Like, really want. Together with shiny Type: Null, that I've recently gotten, they are my favorite rare shiny Pokémon. Jirachi is there too, but he is too expensive to me right now.
I've been looking around for Pokémon Ranger cartidges, to get the egg, and noticed that japanese cartridges are a bit cheapier. Hooooweeeever... I'm not quite sure I can get the Manaphy special mission. Apparently, it was exclusive as a reward for watching the 9th movie on theaters for the Japanese.
Can someone confirm that? Must I buy the slighthly more expensive american version of Pokémon Ranger, where all I really have to do is complete the game and use a code to unlock the mission?

Must I buy the slighthly more expensive american version of Pokémon Ranger, where all I really have to do is complete the game and use a code to unlock the mission?
Here's the major issue with this mission in the original Pokémon Ranger: The gift is tied to the cartridge, not the save data, and once it's used up, you can't use it again - even if you erase all save data. At least, that's what I've heard. Finding a copy that hasn't used the code for the mission and sent the gift over is extremely difficult...

As it stands, it's highly unlikely you're ever going to get a Shiny Manaphy, especially if you're trying to use those methods.

As it stands, it's highly unlikely you're ever going to get a Shiny Manaphy, especially if you're trying to use those methods.
Nah mate, i's fine. I live in Brazil. It wasn't easy at the time to have two DS and the two games required to pass over the egg, and it really isn't today either, specially with the homebrewing that happens with about 90% of the 3DSs. Most cartridges around here probally still have the egg, don't worry.
My question still stands, however, is it easily possible to get an egg from a Japanese cartridge, or the only chance I had with the jap cart was with that event from M9? Must I spent a few more bucks on the american cartridge?

Just out of curiosity, is there any conceivable way (without hacking) that I can gain access to Unity Tower in the Gen 5 games if I have never gone there before? I know there is no functional point to doing this anymore, but it is no secret that a have a feverish love for Unova, and it's the one place in the region that I have never visited, which feels just a tiny bit shameful on my end. :p

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom