• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

how good is the move Imprison in current competitive battle formats?
should it get changed from blocking the same moves into blocking moves of the same "type" as the moves of the users...

I can't seem to find my way to opelucid city in pokemon black ohh and its the winter awkward time to get there

I can't seem to find my way to opelucid city in pokemon black ohh and its the winter awkward time to get there
Ok, have you gotten to Iccirus City yet? If you have, all you have to do once you've defeated the gym is travel east to route 8, cross the frozen ponds, and you'll get to tubeline bridge, which leads to route 9 and Opelucid

In Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, what is the player's average travel speed in the Ultra Warp Ride minigame? Or, put another way, how long does it take on average to travel a given distance in light-years? I'd time it myself, but I don't actually have the game.

Did Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow use 8 bit sprites?

These games are compatible with GB and GBC. Their processor is 8-bit (meaning they transfer 8 bits of data at a time).

But you asked about the sprites, which I think would mean color depth. That is, how many bits are required to display the colors.

The answer: 2-bit (4 colors at a time)

Specifically, the original Game Boy used black and white sprites, with 4 possible colors: black, dark gray, light gray, and white (or alternatively, 4 shades of olive green original model of Game Boy). This means 2-bit colors (each of the 4 colors is: 00, 01, 10, and 11).

And the Game Boy Color used colored sprites with also 4 possible colors at most.

Some examples from the GBC:
Venusaur's 4 colors are black, dark green, light green, and white.
Blastoise's 4 colors are black, dark blue, light blue, and white.
Charizard's 4 colors are black, orange, red, and white.
Pikachu's 4 colors are black, orange, yellow, and white.
(any Pokémon)'s 4 colors are black, (some dark color), (some light color), and white.

In the Virtual Console, Jynx is an exception. It uses 5 colors instead of 4 (with the addition of purple), which requires 3 bits. The Jynx from Virtual Console uses a 3-bit sprite.

These games are compatible with GB and GBC. Their processor is 8-bit (meaning they transfer 8 bits of data at a time).

But you asked about the sprites, which I think would mean color depth. That is, how many bits are required to display the colors.

The answer: 2-bit (4 colors at a time)

Specifically, the original Game Boy used black and white sprites, with 4 possible colors: black, dark gray, light gray, and white (or alternatively, 4 shades of olive green original model of Game Boy). This means 2-bit colors (each of the 4 colors is: 00, 01, 10, and 11).

And the Game Boy Color used colored sprites with also 4 possible colors at most.

Some examples from the GBC:
Venusaur's 4 colors are black, dark green, light green, and white.
Blastoise's 4 colors are black, dark blue, light blue, and white.
Charizard's 4 colors are black, orange, red, and white.
Pikachu's 4 colors are black, orange, yellow, and white.
(any Pokémon)'s 4 colors are black, (some dark color), (some light color), and white.

In the Virtual Console, Jynx is an exception. It uses 5 colors instead of 4 (with the addition of purple), which requires 3 bits. The Jynx from Virtual Console uses a 3-bit sprite.
Thanks.

don't know if it was already but what happens if a Imprison move user battles Ditto?

Is Imprison the perfect move to counter Ditto or it's a bad situation when both can block each other moves and one needs to switch out or will they use Struggle on each other to make the other faint?

Imprison generaly has not good luck when using.

It could counter Ditto, but if Ditto moves faster, then Ditto has the perfect counter instead, so it's not the best strategy.

When EV training, why do people only focus on a Pokemon that give out the EVs they want? What's wrong with fighting Pokemon that give EVs for other stats? I once did a Greninja solo run and maxed out all EVs, so why not just fight Pokemon?

When EV training, why do people only focus on a Pokemon that give out the EVs they want? What's wrong with fighting Pokemon that give EVs for other stats? I once did a Greninja solo run and maxed out all EVs, so why not just fight Pokemon?
You can't max out all EVs. Each stat can go up to 252 EVs in it, but a Pokémon can only have a total of 510. A Pokémon that only uses Special Attacks is actively worse off if it has Attack EVs because it could damage itself more while confused and takes points away from a useful stat.
Edit: You could go up to 255 before gen VI but because of how the bonus stat points from EV are calculated it was a bad idea. Gen VI removed the ability to "overtrain" and capped at 252.
You could max out everything in the first two generations, which used a different system.

Last edited:
You can't max out all EVs. Each stat can go up to 252 EVs in it, but a Pokémon can only have a total of 510. A Pokémon that only uses Special Attacks is actively worse off if it has Attack EVs because it could damage itself more while confused and takes points away from a useful stat.
Edit: You could go up to 255 before gen VI but because of how the bonus stat points from EV are calculated it was a bad idea. Gen VI removed the ability to "overtrain" and capped at 252.
You could max out everything in the first two generations, which used a different system.
I see. So, one stat will have more EVs than the rest?

In HeartGold and SoulSilver, can you get Premier Balls from Mahogany Town's "Just a Souvenir Shop" before Team Rocket is defeated in their HQ?

If what Bulbapedia says about the Premier Ball acquisition methods is true, and if I'm understanding it right, you can't get Premier Balls from Mahogany Town, period, regardless of story elements, as it's not considered a "real" PokeMart. From what the wiki says, Premier Balls can only be obtained in regular PokeMarts and the two Department stores, but not the "Just a Souvenir Shop". So, I guess it's safe to say the answer is no, as, according to the wiki, you can't get Premier Balls in Mahogany Town at all, only in conventional PokeMarts.

If what Bulbapedia says about the Premier Ball acquisition methods is true, and if I'm understanding it right, you can't get Premier Balls from Mahogany Town, period, regardless of story elements, as it's not considered a "real" PokeMart. From what the wiki says, Premier Balls can only be obtained in regular PokeMarts and the two Department stores, but not the "Just a Souvenir Shop". So, I guess it's safe to say the answer is no, as, according to the wiki, you can't get Premier Balls in Mahogany Town at all, only in conventional PokeMarts.
Bulbapedia isn't sure of if they can be obtained in there or not, since I think it's the only place where you can buy Poké Balls from that is neither a Mart or a Department Store.

Bulbapedia isn't sure of if they can be obtained in there or not, since I think it's the only place where you can buy Poké Balls from that is neither a Mart or a Department Store.

You'd think that Bulbapedia would have that data confirmed by now, since Gen 4 was ages ago. I guess the only way to fully know is to actually buy some Poke Balls at that shop during the time TR is there and see. Like I said, the wiki's data is confusing at best, so it could be possible, but given the shop's "unconventional" nature, it's hard to really say. And I no longer have my copy of either version, so I can't check to confirm it myself. If you're at that point in the game, it might just be better to check yourself. The wiki seems to feel it's not possible to obtain Premier Balls, period, at Mahogany Town, due to it not being a "true" Mart, but it is a rather oddball situation. But I'm willing to bet that TR won't give you a Premier Ball when you buy 10 Poke Balls from there.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom