• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

The general principle holds true, just combine the weakest defensive types (Grass, Ice, Rock) with other weak defensive typings and you'll have a great starting point. Fighting is pretty poor defensively, but the 3 worst types for fighting defensively are Fighting / Rock, Fighting / Grass, and Fighting / Ice, so using that as an example, the pattern holds true. I'm quite confident that, assuming you count a 4x weakness as being equivalent in severity to having an extra 2x weakness, and assuming you think it's worse to have more weaknesses and more resistances or even immunities (assuming equal numbers, in my eyes each weakness needs at least 2 resistances or immunities to make up for it) then I can say with reasonable certainty that for any given typing, the worst defensive dual typing it is going to have will be with one of those 3 (grass, rock, or ice).

I'm not actually disagreeing with you, mind. I wholeheartedly agree that anything that has Rock, Grass, or Ice tacked onto it is just asking for a hurting (especially my beloved Ice-type) in the weakness department. Was just pointing out that Grass and Rock together is actually decent, which you acknowledged in your response. But, generally, I do agree that anything else with either of those three types (except very, very select combos) is going to be on the receiving end of a lot of weaknesses with near minimal resistances/immunities, as those three suck defensively.

What ball should I catch my Red Gyrados in within HG, assuming I plan on migrating it up generations and trading it? My favorite ball is the Luxury Ball, and it definitely deserves it, but I feel like it might be more valuable in an Apriball, like a Love Ball, or Lure Ball?

What ball should I catch my Red Gyrados in within HG, assuming I plan on migrating it up generations and trading it? My favorite ball is the Luxury Ball, and it definitely deserves it, but I feel like it might be more valuable in an Apriball, like a Love Ball, or Lure Ball?

I'd say either the Luxury Ball or a Premier Ball, as they're the "hardest" to come by, thus they're more special. I'd avoid the Apricorn balls because they are a bit too specialized (ie: Love Ball: same Mon, different gender) to the point it ends up crippling their effectiveness. If you want to use a Apricorn Ball, either a Friend Ball or a Level Ball, as they're the more practical ones, though a Heavy Ball might also be decent (Gyarados is 500+ lbs, so the Heavy Ball has a decent chance at getting the job done). The only issue is that the Luxury, Premier, and Friend Balls all have a catch rate of x1, so you might have some trouble getting it to stay in the ball without a status ailment boosting your odds. In short, either Luxury, Premier, Friend, Level, and Heavy Balls would be my recommendation (in that order). At least from Gen 7 onward the Apricorn Balls finally got release animations like the other Balls, so it makes them look prettier and fun.

EDIT: Forgot to clarify that last bit. That's if you do decide to transfer the Mon to a later Gen/Bank/etc, as from Gen 7 onward the Apicorn Balls got actual animations upon use instead of just using the regular Poke Ball animation that they've had for most of their careers. Some of them, like the Heavy Ball and Moon Ball, do have fun-looking animations now, which makes them at least look more special.

Last edited:
So I'm looking for a place to grind my Platinum mons when its time to battle the Elite 4. I have 7 badges at the moment. Obviously I need opposing Pokemon with sizable experience points.

I also have a concern with EVs in making sure they don't get unfavorable EVs.

So I'm looking for a place to grind my Platinum mons when its time to battle the Elite 4. I have 7 badges at the moment. Obviously I need opposing Pokemon with sizable experience points.

I also have a concern with EVs in making sure they don't get unfavorable EVs.

Unfortunately, you're not going to have much luck there. The "best" place to grind before the E4 is Victory Road, but it's mostly inhabited by Mons like Rhydon, Graveler, Golbat, Steelix, and, on occasion, Gabite, which, obviously, don't provide ideal EVs. They're also the highest leveled Mons you'll find prior to post-game. Unfortunately, the best place to grind is, in fact, in the post-game, at the Battlegrounds, where you can rematch the Gym Leaders and EV trainers (with teams in the 60s, plus it's good for grinding cash, too) after completing the Stark Mountain quest. Barry will also be available for rematches there, too, so he's also a good place to grind. However, due to the fact that Victory Road is the only place in the main game where you can get at least decent EXP prior to the E4, you're not going to have a whole lot of luck elsewhere. Maybe certain places in Mt. Coronet (specifically, places near the peak, where Mons like Absol, Abomasnow, Bronzong and so on) can provide some decent EXP for the point of the game (EVs, however, I'm not totally sure on that), but because it's so HM heavy, it can be a chore to use (though Victory Road isn't exactly light on the HMs, either). No, there really isn't any "ideal" place to grind until the post-game when you can rebattle the Gym Leaders and characters like Cheryl, Mira, and Buck. But, given the fact that both the upper areas of Mt. Coronet and Victory Road are going to have at least respectable Mons, they might be your best bet at this point.

I was wondering about any trainer rematches using the vs seeker.

For the EVs its just avoiding things like special attack for Gliscor, or speed for Dusclops.

Still thanks for the info though.

I was wondering about any trainer rematches using the vs seeker.

For the EVs its just avoiding things like special attack for Gliscor, or speed for Dusclops.

Still thanks for the info though.

Yeah, you can get decent trainer rematches from the Vs. Seeker, but only a few per area actually grow in levels, if even that, as most remain static for the duration of the game, including post-game. You'll have to check the wiki for which trainers actually level up per area over time, as they're far and few between, like maybe one or two per area/route at best (ie: Artist William on Route 208 is the only trainer on that route that grows over time, going from a Mime Jr. and Bonsly to Mr. Mime and Sudowoodo that ultimately caps in the late 50s). So, yeah, if you know where to look, you can get some decent gains from the Vs. Seeker, though the pickings will be rather slim regardless. Just use the wiki and see if you can narrow down the trainers you want to rematch for the EVs and EXP you want, since the routes can be pretty long and can have multiples of a specific trainer class. It'll be a slow process, as you have to constantly leave and enter the area to both reset the trainer and recharge the Vs. Seeker, but it will probably do the job if you're patient enough.

Now it's my turn to ask. In Gen 6, is there any advantage to keeping a Murkrow unevolved? Like are there certain moves that only it learns that are worthwhile? Or is evolving it into Honckrow right away better? This isn't for competitive or anything, as it's just for a playthrough, so no "advanced strategies" are needed here. Thanks in advance.

Now it's my turn to ask. In Gen 6, is there any advantage to keeping a Murkrow unevolved? Like are there certain moves that only it learns that are worthwhile? Or is evolving it into Honckrow right away better? This isn't for competitive or anything, as it's just for a playthrough, so no "advanced strategies" are needed here. Thanks in advance.
Not exactly sure, but I guess 45 so it can learn Foul Play or 55 so it can learn Sucker Punch. Maybe 50 for Tailwind if that's your thing. Bear in mind I'm a super aggressive player and someone might give you better suggestions.

Honchkrow does not learn Astonish, Pursuit, Haze, Wing Attack, or Night Shade (though it can learn all of those other than Night Shade from a move rememberer). Also, if you don't evolve it prior to 35, you can't learn Nasty Plot, but if you evolve it before 50, you won't learn Tailwind. It does learn foul play at 45 regardless. It doesn't learn Sucker Punch, but at 55 instead learns Night Slash, which I personally massively prefer. It's not a priority move, but it doesn't fail if they went for a non-damaging move, and it has 15 PP instead of 5, which helps a ton in terms of not having to constantly go back to town.

If you intend to use Night Shade, you'll want to wait till 21, if you want Tailwind and are willing to wait that long you'll want to wait until 50, though you give up Nasty Plot and significantly weaken its effectiveness for basically the entire playthrough in order to do so. Personally I'd wait till 21, get Wing Attack and Night Shade, and then evolve it but that's just me.

I have a question regarding the Heartgold and Soulsilver safari zone. When the Wiki says you have to play every day. Does that mean turning it on and saving or do you have to play the safari game? I have found multiple answers saying one or the other.

Thank you!

I have a question regarding the Heartgold and Soulsilver safari zone. When the Wiki says you have to play every day. Does that mean turning it on and saving or do you have to play the safari game? I have found multiple answers saying one or the other.

Thank you!

I'm not sure what you mean by this, in terms of "play every day". I'm not seeing that anywhere, and I'm not seeing why that would be necessary. Can you please elaborate?

Got another quick question. In Gen 6 can Egg Moves be relearned via the Move Relearner? Or are they gone for good when deleted? Thanks in advance.

You can indeed relearn egg moves via the Move Relearner. You can also "relearn" certain moves early - for example, that Honchkrow could "relearn" Night slash at any level due to the way Honchkrow is coded (it learns it at level 1, theoretically, and also at level 55). However other than the initial moveset of the Pokemon (whether that's egg moves or otherwise), you can only relearn moves learned by the current form. So if for example you learned Night Shade or Tailwind, then evolved to Honchkrow, then forgot those moves for any reason, you could not relearn those moves. I hope that helps and makes sense!

I'm not sure what you mean by this, in terms of "play every day". I'm not seeing that anywhere, and I'm not seeing why that would be necessary. Can you please elaborate?

You can indeed relearn egg moves via the Move Relearner. You can also "relearn" certain moves early - for example, that Honchkrow could "relearn" Night slash at any level due to the way Honchkrow is coded (it learns it at level 1, theoretically, and also at level 55). However other than the initial moveset of the Pokemon (whether that's egg moves or otherwise), you can only relearn moves learned by the current form. So if for example you learned Night Shade or Tailwind, then evolved to Honchkrow, then forgot those moves for any reason, you could not relearn those moves. I hope that helps and makes sense!

Sorry about that. Under Area upgrades it says "The day counter for each active area of the safari zone is not related to the internal game clock. In order to achieve area upgrades, the player must actually play the game on different days to increment the counters." Does that mean I have to just turn it in and play or do I have to play the safari game?

Thanks!

Sorry about that. Under Area upgrades it says "The day counter for each active area of the safari zone is not related to the internal game clock. In order to achieve area upgrades, the player must actually play the game on different days to increment the counters." Does that mean I have to just turn it in and play or do I have to play the safari game?

Thanks!

Ah I understand what you are referencing now, thanks! From my understanding that means you must actually play the safari game. Note that if your system's internal clock is modified for any reason (internal battery dies, or it is manually adjusted) the safari zone date counter is reset, so you can't time warp this, in case you weren't already aware. Those days don't need to be consecutive though, just different. So if you played on a Monday, then a Friday, then next Tues, then Wednesday, then Thurs, then a month later, you'd be at 6 days. I hope that helps!

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom