• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Question concerning Generation 7 GTS: how long does it keep you out of online trading if you get disconnected halfway? Also, word of warning: NEVER, under ANY circumstances, trade with a user who gives up a shiny in exchange for a non-specific Snivy called "AdventrSnivy". It's a hoax.

Do Frontier Brains (and their equivalents, like Subway bosses and Battle Chatelains) continue to appear after getting the last symbol/print or whatever, if the player continues their steak, with their second teams? On my 105th battle in the Battle Tower in Emerald (35th battle after getting the 70th battle win), Anabel appeared with her gold symbol team. Does this apply for all other brains/equivalents?

Do Frontier Brains (and their equivalents, like Subway bosses and Battle Chatelains) continue to appear after getting the last symbol/print or whatever, if the player continues their steak, with their second teams? On my 105th battle in the Battle Tower in Emerald (35th battle after getting the 70th battle win), Anabel appeared with her gold symbol team. Does this apply for all other brains/equivalents?
I think so.

I hope it's alright if I inquire about this here as it's not quite a Pokemon related question.
So a couple weeks or so ago I ordered Pokemon Ultra Sun and have been soft resetting for a shiny Litten.
A few minutes ago I had my 3DS sitting on my laptop table and it was knocked off.

It gave me the 'game card popped out' error and I had to reset the game and when I did I noticed this strange chalky black line at the bottom left corner of the screen.

View attachment 135213

Now, this is not even remotely the first time the 3DS has been dropped. Unfortunately, this happened a few times back when I was soft resetting for a shiny Rowlet in Moon but this is the first this strange line has appeared.
The device itself is at least 6 years old. I received it for my birthday when X and Y came out along with X.

The game is still working fine but I'd still like to know if this is something that should concern me?

Update:
The line gradually thinned over time, I'm guessing with my closing the 3DS for the night and now it's entirely gone.

So yeah, still strange but that's that.

Just wanted to let everyone know and thanx to @prog rocker for trying to help.

In Ultra Sun do SOS battles not occur on route 1 pre-festival because the concept hasn't been introduced yet?

I'm planning on doing some shiny hunting in this game and have already succeeded in soft resetting a shiny litten.

Wild SOS Battles don't actually start until after your first Totem Battle, where Ilama explains the concept to you. So, you won't be able to do any SOS battle hunting until after you beat Totem Gumshoos. Also, due to the changes in SOS mechanics compared to SM a Mon will only perform one SOS call, so chaining is much harder unless you have either Intimidate, Pressure, or an Adrenaline Orb. If you're planning on doing SOS chains for shinies, catch an Intimidate Growlithe just before you face the first Trial so you can be ready to start chaining, as it'll make things easier later on. Hope that helps.

Wild SOS Battles don't actually start until after your first Totem Battle, where Ilama explains the concept to you. So, you won't be able to do any SOS battle hunting until after you beat Totem Gumshoos. Also, due to the changes in SOS mechanics compared to SM a Mon will only perform one SOS call, so chaining is much harder unless you have either Intimidate, Pressure, or an Adrenaline Orb. If you're planning on doing SOS chains for shinies, catch an Intimidate Growlithe just before you face the first Trial so you can be ready to start chaining, as it'll make things easier later on. Hope that helps.

I appreciate the info. Thanx.

In Emerald, are there any factors that contribute to gym leaders being available for rematches, or is it completely random? Does anything that the PC does make the probability of gym leaders offering rematches better? (i.e. beating the Elite Four more often)

Follow Up:
Is an Intimidate Growlithe better than an Intimidate Ekans?
I have the latter and so far it's not working (yes I cleared the trial).

UPDATE: Tried a Growlithe. Still not working. I can only get one call and this thing this is lucky to survive after the second Pokemon joins.
Granted the Pokemon I'm currently trying to chain is Ekans so there is a poisoning hazard, the damn things also max leer me.

Last edited:
Follow Up:
Is an Intimidate Growlithe better than an Intimidate Ekans?
I have the latter and so far it's not working (yes I cleared the trial).

UPDATE: Tried a Growlithe. Still not working. I can only get one call and this thing this is lucky to survive after the second Pokemon joins.
Granted the Pokemon I'm currently trying to chain is Ekans so there is a poisoning hazard, the damn things also max leer me.

I actually forgot Ekans was part of the dex, so that can work, too. But, yeah, it'll take a fair amount of tries for it to really start snowballing. If you have False Swipe, which you get for completing the Grand Trial, it can make it easier. A strategy I've used is to open up with an Intimidate Mon, swap it out for a False Swiper to weaken the Mon to the red, then just keep shuffling back and forth between Intimidate and False Swipe, as the closer the Mon is to the red, the more likely they'll call for help. It's also a good idea to use False Swipe on the Mon that is "summoned" via the SOS so it can create a more consistent chain. It's an annoyingly time-consuming process, but once you get the Ultra Ball rolling it becomes easier.

I actually forgot Ekans was part of the dex, so that can work, too. But, yeah, it'll take a fair amount of tries for it to really start snowballing. If you have False Swipe, which you get for completing the Grand Trial, it can make it easier. A strategy I've used is to open up with an Intimidate Mon, swap it out for a False Swiper to weaken the Mon to the red, then just keep shuffling back and forth between Intimidate and False Swipe, as the closer the Mon is to the red, the more likely they'll call for help. It's also a good idea to use False Swipe on the Mon that is "summoned" via the SOS so it can create a more consistent chain. It's an annoyingly time-consuming process, but once you get the Ultra Ball rolling it becomes easier.

I completely forgot about False Swipe, it's been some time since I was at the beginning of Moon (I just recently finished the Ultra Beast quest) and I never tried chaining in it even though I do have a shiny Mudsdale. That was completely random.

This is my first go at SOS chaining.
So far, I much prefer the Dex Nav method in ORAS. This is a pain in the ass but I won't give up. It will be worth it.

Last edited:
I completely forgot about False Swipe, it's been some time since I was at the beginning of Moon (I just recently finished the Ultra Beast quest) and I never tried chaining in it even though I do have a shiny Mudsdale. That was completely random.

This is my first go at SOS chaining.
So far, I much prefer the Dex Nav method in ORAS. This is a pain in the ass but I won't give up. It will be worth it.

Yeah, I tend to forget about False Swipe a lot, too. Probably the reason why I screw up so often when I'm trying to catch certain Mons. And I agree that the Dex Nav was much more useful and user-friendly than the SOS method. And it was way more fun, too. Why does GF always take away the good stuff and replace it with meh gimmicks, as the Rotom Dex could've easily replicated that function and made it less... annoying, to put it simply. But, anyway, good luck, as SOS chaining can be a royal pain at times.

Yeah, I tend to forget about False Swipe a lot, too. Probably the reason why I screw up so often when I'm trying to catch certain Mons. And I agree that the Dex Nav was much more useful and user-friendly than the SOS method. And it was way more fun, too. Why does GF always take away the good stuff and replace it with meh gimmicks, as the Rotom Dex could've easily replicated that function and made it less... annoying, to put it simply. But, anyway, good luck, as SOS chaining can be a royal pain at times.

Alright, so I returned to using Intimidate Ekans.
Regardless of the intimidate Pokemon I can not get a second SOS.

Take the attempt I just made on an Ekans. The first SOS came quite quickly. So I knock out the first Ekans and get the second into the Yellow. No call for help.
I manage to get it into the red, switched out a couple of times to get Intimidate off (which adds another level to the pain in the ass that this already is because of Wrap) and stall it out with Glare until I used all my Glare PP and the fucker still didn't call for help!

Then I tried it inverted with Pikipek, I KOed the help instead of the original and still no second call!

Although my patience is subjective I tend to have quite a bit of it for shiny chaining but I'm calling bullshit on USUM's SOS system!

Last edited:
Alright, so I returned to using Intimidate Ekans.
Regardless of the intimidate Pokemon I can not get a second SOS.

Take the attempt I just made on an Ekans. The first SOS came quite quickly. So I knock out the first Ekans and get the second into the Yellow. No call for help.
I manage to get it into the red, switched out a couple of times to get Intimidate off (which adds another level to the pain in the ass that this already is because of Wrap) and stall it out with Glare until I used all my Glare PP and the fucker still didn't call for help!

Then I tried it inverted with Pikipek, I KOed the help instead of the original and still no second call!

Although my patience is subjective I tend to have quite a bit of it for shiny chaining but I'm calling bullshit on USUM's SOS system!

Okay, I think I may have found the solution and it appears I made a big blunder. I looked up SOS on the wiki and it seems that the Adrenalin Orb is now the only way to call an SOS battle chain in USUM, unlike in SM where Intimidate, Pressure, and other such abilities would be enough. I wasn't aware that had changed between SM and USUM, so that's my fault. Considering I've only chained for SOS battles a grand total of 2 times in USUM (one for a shiny Zorua, which failed, and another to hunt for Mareanie), that's why my advice fell flat, so I'm sorry for accidentally wasting your time. So, you'll have to wait until you gain access to Adrenalin Orbs, which I think can be bought from PokeMarts after beating Lana's trial, though you can get a few from Panola Ranch from a female Breeder prior to that (in the same place Mallow gives you the Stoutland Search function). Also, don't inflict any status ailments on your target, as that negates the ability to summon SOS allies. Keep False Swipe handy, as, like I said, the lower the HP of the target the more likely they'll call for help, as that part remains true. So, as a result, you'll have to wait until the second island before you can properly SOS chain, since that'll be the earliest you can get Adrenalin Orbs. I'm very sorry that I gave you outdated advice without realizing it, so you can squarely blame me for your frustration. If you want, I can give you something via trade, like a high IV Mon and/or a rare item of your choice to make up for my mistake in sending you on a wild Farfetch'd chase. But, in any case, you need the Adrenalin Orb to SOS chain in USUM, as the old Intimidate strategy is no longer viable.

does fishous rend and bolt beak get that boost too when oponent cant move when paralysed or flinched? double battle material...

Last edited:
Okay, I feel like I'm losing my mind here. I'm playing Black 2 and I'm trying to breed HA Ducklett and HA Burmy. I'm breeding an HA Wormadam with a Mothim and a female HA Ducklett with a male Ducklett. Every single source I've looked up says there should be an 80% chance of getting the HA, but I've tried about 20 times and the HA isn't getting passed down. Is there something else I'm doing wrong?

Okay, I think I may have found the solution and it appears I made a big blunder. I looked up SOS on the wiki and it seems that the Adrenalin Orb is now the only way to call an SOS battle chain in USUM, unlike in SM where Intimidate, Pressure, and other such abilities would be enough. I wasn't aware that had changed between SM and USUM, so that's my fault. Considering I've only chained for SOS battles a grand total of 2 times in USUM (one for a shiny Zorua, which failed, and another to hunt for Mareanie), that's why my advice fell flat, so I'm sorry for accidentally wasting your time. So, you'll have to wait until you gain access to Adrenalin Orbs, which I think can be bought from PokeMarts after beating Lana's trial, though you can get a few from Panola Ranch from a female Breeder prior to that (in the same place Mallow gives you the Stoutland Search function). Also, don't inflict any status ailments on your target, as that negates the ability to summon SOS allies. Keep False Swipe handy, as, like I said, the lower the HP of the target the more likely they'll call for help, as that part remains true. So, as a result, you'll have to wait until the second island before you can properly SOS chain, since that'll be the earliest you can get Adrenalin Orbs. I'm very sorry that I gave you outdated advice without realizing it, so you can squarely blame me for your frustration. If you want, I can give you something via trade, like a high IV Mon and/or a rare item of your choice to make up for my mistake in sending you on a wild Farfetch'd chase. But, in any case, you need the Adrenalin Orb to SOS chain in USUM, as the old Intimidate strategy is no longer viable.

It's alright. No need for apologizes, we all make mistakes and I've been a little on the unreasonably eager side when as you've pointed out the smart thing to do is to wait to acquire False Swipe after the Hala Grand Trial battle which I have not yet done.

You've been a fantastic help regardless and I appreciate it.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom