• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

In Pokemon Soulsilver, what is a good Pokemon to use against Whitney?
Kadabra might be a good choice considering you can take advantage of Miltank's weaker special defense. It learns Confusion at level 16 and Psybeam at level 24. You can obtain one by catching an Abra in the route right below Goldenrod City (Route 24) and leveling it up to level 16, which is when it will evolve.

Kadabra might be a good choice considering you can take advantage of Miltank's weaker special defense. It learns Confusion at level 16 and Psybeam at level 24. You can obtain one by catching an Abra in the route right below Goldenrod City (Route 24) and leveling it up to level 16, which is when it will evolve.
I have one named Psyderix, but right now it only knows teleport, and it's a male. In a team that's mostly females, this might just work.

Keep in mind Whitney's 'tank has a Lum berry in HG/SS, so anything involving status effects requires you to get two of them off.

One cheap option is to get a Heracross and powerlevel it (I think you can head north before fighting Whitney to get the trainers up that way) to level 19 so it learns Brick Break--Heracross vastly outstats the Machop you can trade for in every category, and is good for the whole game without needing to be able to trade-evolve it.
Best way to get Heracross is to find a "rare" tree that has lower level Pokémon when you headbutt it. In Azaela town look for ones with lower level Pokémon, around 3-5, I think--Heracross has a much higher spawn rate with those trees. If you're lucky you'll get a female one that can ignore Attract.

Last edited:

These probably aren't the best Pokemon to use against Whitney, but I nearly always have Quilava and Togepi on my team at this stage of the game. I like to use Togepi's Charm to lower Miltank's attack, and/or Quilava's Smokescreen to lower its accuracy. Accuracy reductions greatly hamper Miltank's Rollout because the move needs to hit several times in a row to increase in power. Once Miltank starts dealing less damage to my Pokemon, it's a lot easier to keep them healthy with Potions while I chip away at Miltank's HP. If one of my Pokemon becomes infatuated, I either switch out or patiently carry on selecting moves until I manage to land a hit.

Quilava should, in theory, be the worst starter to use against Whitney because it's weak against Rollout, but this strategy has always worked out OK for me. If you didn't choose Cyndaquil you could try another accuracy-reducing move like Flash or Sand Attack.

Last edited:
In Diamond/Pearl, am I able to battle the trainers who only battle at certain times of the day (Joggers in morning, Police at night) by changing the DS clock? I know later gens prevent things like this by resetting every time-sensitive event to not occur the next 24 hours when the game time is changed, but did this happen as early as Diamond/Pearl? I changed my DS clock to battle the joggers in Route 209 but they won't battle me even when the DS time is within range.

In Diamond/Pearl, am I able to battle the trainers who only battle at certain times of the day (Joggers in morning, Police at night) by changing the DS clock? I know later gens prevent things like this by resetting every time-sensitive event to not occur the next 24 hours when the game time is changed, but did this happen as early as Diamond/Pearl? I changed my DS clock to battle the joggers in Route 209 but they won't battle me even when the DS time is within range.
Weird... It works both in Platinum and HGSS for me. Are you sure you're not setting the time too early or too late? It works for me if I use 6:00 a.m. (for the Joggers) and 8:00 p.m. (for the Policemen).

Weird... It works both in Platinum and HGSS for me. Are you sure you're not setting the time too early or too late? It works for me if I use 6:00 a.m. (for the Joggers) and 8:00 p.m. (for the Policemen).
Figured it out. I need to leave the route and come back.

Haven't played Soul silver; so I'm not sure how many changes there are from the original.. But...
I quite simply used any pokemon other than a Fire Type, and leveled them higher. But to be
Specific; catching a nearby Nidoran and getting it learn double-kick, a fighting-type move, should make it
EASY!

Hey guys, I have a shiny mew I got in a trade a while back but can't seem to see if it's legit or not, it's got a Japanese ot and correct Japanese name and it also comes from gen 3 as it doesn't have any gen markings?

While it is probably impossible to tell the difference between a hacked shiny Mew and a legitimate shiny Mew, I'm going to go with Occam's razor on this one: it's most likely hacked. The chances of someone willing to shiny hunt for and then transfer a Mew only to trade it away seems pretty low, especially if said Mew has perfect IVs.

That being said, I don't think this shiny Mew will cause any issues with your game if you're fearful of it glitching out on you or whatever.

Does anyone know where the hidden tinymushroom is on route 229 in diamond/pearl (I don’t think it’s in Platinum)? Bulbapedia says it’s at the end of the pond, but I searched all around the area and couldn’t find it.

With Poketransporter on the 3DS, can I transfer Pokemon from my virtual console version of Crystal to my virtual console version of Silver (which is literally what I want to do)?

With Poketransporter on the 3DS, can I transfer Pokemon from my virtual console version of Crystal to my virtual console version of Silver (which is literally what I want to do)?

No, you can't do that. The Poke Transporter doesn't transport between two VC games, only from a VC game to a "modern" game (or Bank, I forget which), and it's a one-way sequence. And when you do you cannot transfer it back to a different version, again, it's a one-way trip. You would need a second 3DS and a second Nintendo ID with said 3DS (and the required VC game you want to transfer to) to do any sort of trading between two VC games. You can't transfer back and forth between two VC games on one console, as it's impossible, nor can you use the Poke Transporter to do it for you, as it only transports Mons forward, not backward. So, no, you're out of luck in that regard, as the Poke Transporter is a one-way trip from a VC game to either a "modern" game or Bank and that's where they'll stay with no ability to transfer backwards.

So Hugh keeps telling me "Reversal Mountain" and I eventually found it on the map, but I'm serious stuck and have no way to get there. I assumed something would happen after I rung the bell. Oh and Marshall won't let me in Twist mountain.

So Hugh keeps telling me "Reversal Mountain" and I eventually found it on the map, but I'm serious stuck and have no way to get there. I assumed something would happen after I rung the bell. Oh and Marshall won't let me in Twist mountain.
Reversal Mountain is post-game in B2W2.
Talk to Skyla (I think she’s in the airport on the airstrip). She will fly you to Lentimas Town where you can enter Reversal Mountain to the East which will lead you to Undella Town. It isn’t post-game.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom