• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Catching an Alomomola in Pokémon Moon: I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm pretty sure I'm in Totem's Den - it said so as I entered. I'm also pretty sure I'm fishing at the "bubbling spot". That's the place with rocks coming up right? Where you go close and an "A" pops up and you start fishing if you press "A"? I've been just getting Magikarps other than this one time I got a Wishiwashi. What's going wrong? I'm supposed to get a 20% chance. My source of information: Brooklet Hill - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia. Is it wrong do you think?
I don't Bulbapedia is wrong as, to my understanding, the data is pulled directly from data-mines.

If the spot where you're fishing looks like this:
iu
where there's a white ring of bubbles, then you should have a 20% chance of encountering an Alomomola. To my understanding, any rock outcropping where you can fish has a chance of having that ring of bubbles appear. Do note that 20% doesn't mean that you're guaranteed to get 20 Alomomola out of every 100 encounters.

If you're fishing at a spot that lacks that the ring of bubbles, like this:
iu
then you only have a 1% encounter change.

You may either have bad luck, or the spot where you are fishing isn't bubbling.

I don't Bulbapedia is wrong as, to my understanding, the data is pulled directly from data-mines.

iu
where there's a white ring of bubbles, then you should have a 20% chance of encountering an Alomomola. To my understanding, any rock outcropping where you can fish has a chance of having that ring of bubbles appear. Do note that 20% doesn't mean that you're guaranteed to get 20 Alomomola out of every 100 encounters.

iu

Thank you! I think this is the problem. Thanks so much!

iu

iu

Thank you so much! I caught my Alomomola this morning! It's a male, so I won't be able to breed any more, at least until I get my hands on a Ditto, but still. I spent the rest of the morning leveling it up from level 10 to level 17 and it learned Heal Pulse! Now I'm all set to teach it to my Smeargle next time it learns Sketch. Thanks so much!

Is there a random element to damage calculation in the main series games? I often find that moves, when used in succession against the same opponent, vary slightly in power each time.

To give a recent example... in Omega Ruby I was battling Brawly's Machop, which was at full health. My Beautifly used Gust, which got Machop's health into the red. Brawly used a Super Potion, restoring Machop to full health. Beautifly used Gust again, and this time, it knocked out Machop in one hit! It wasn't a critical hit, and no stat-altering moves or items had been used.

This kind of thing happens to me a lot, and it's always puzzled me no end.

Is there a random element to damage calculation in the main series games? I often find that moves, when used in succession against the same opponent, vary slightly in power each time.

To give a recent example... in Omega Ruby I was battling Brawly's Machop, which was at full health. My Beautifly used Gust, which got Machop's health into the red. Brawly used a Super Potion, restoring Machop to full health. Beautifly used Gust again, and this time, it knocked out Machop in one hit! It wasn't a critical hit, and no stat-altering moves or items had been used.

This kind of thing happens to me a lot, and it's always puzzled me no end.

I've noticed this, too, and after some research, it turns out there is a factor of randomness

You can read the whole article if you want to see how damage is calculated (and if you like math formulas), but here's the relevant part:
  • random is a random factor between 0.85 and 1.00 (inclusive):
    • From Generation III onward, it is a random integer percentage between 0.85 and 1.00 (inclusive)
    • In Generations I and II, it is realized as a multiplication by a random uniformly distributed integer between 217 and 255 (inclusive), followed by an integer division by 255

I've noticed this, too, and after some research, it turns out there is a factor of randomness

You can read the whole article if you want to see how damage is calculated (and if you like math formulas), but here's the relevant part:
  • random is a random factor between 0.85 and 1.00 (inclusive):
    • From Generation III onward, it is a random integer percentage between 0.85 and 1.00 (inclusive)
    • In Generations I and II, it is realized as a multiplication by a random uniformly distributed integer between 217 and 255 (inclusive), followed by an integer division by 255

Thank you for finding this out for me. I'm glad I'm not imagining it! (I did wonder if I wasn't noticing the words "critical hit" because I was scrolling through the text too fast.)

I actually think having some randomness in the damage calculation is more realistic. It would be unnatural for a Beautifly to use its Gust move with the exact same amount of force each time.

Last edited:
Can anyone help me with the pal park thing in heartgold and soulsilver? Do i need to do something with my firered game for example?

Can anyone help me with the pal park thing in heartgold and soulsilver? Do i need to do something with my firered game for example?
Not specifically with your game, other than having it in the DS. To migrate Pokemon into your HGSS copy, you need to select Migrate at the title screen.

Is there a list anywhere of Pokémon, like the legendary birds in Gen I or Red Gyarados in Gen II, that can be found in the games, but usually only one of their kind?

Even though i put fire red in, there is no migrate from.. Option on the title screen when i go on
If i have 2 slugmas with me, do the eggs hatch 4x faster eg 10k steps down to only 2,500?

Even though i put fire red in, there is no migrate from.. Option on the title screen when i go on
If i have 2 slugmas with me, do the eggs hatch 4x faster eg 10k steps down to only 2,500?
1) Try taking it out and putting it back in a few times. Also make sure you have Pokémon I. Your PC that are eligible for migration and that you have unlocked Pal Park in whatever gen 4 game you’re using.

2) No. It doesn’t stack. Only one Pokémon with Flame Body at the front of your party would count.

Is it only for hoenne based pokemon? The only pokemon i caught in fire red are from gen 1:(
I'm fairly certain the Pokémon transporter works for any gen III game, so FireRed should be okay.

Edit: I think you can only migrate Pokémon once per day, so if you've already done it today then you'll probably be unable to migrate anymore this day.

Would it be competitively fine if I didn't evolve my Oshawott (or Dewott) into Samurott? I'm playing White.
Could you specify what you mean by competitive. If you're going against real people with competitive level teams, I'd say probably not, especially considering Samurott itself doesn't appear to be a top-tier Pokémon in gen 5 competitive.

This isn't directly related to the games, but... does anyone know where I can find Pokemon sprites with white backgrounds? pokemondb.net has them for Gen 1 and Gen 2, but all the sprites from Gen 3 and beyond have transparent backgrounds.
I don’t, sorry :/ I can imagine it would be difficult to add with most free image editing softwares, though. I think Paint has been discontinued but there are others.
I love Oshawott and (kinda) Dewott, but I dislike Samurott. Would it be competitively fine if I didn't evolve my Oshawott (or Dewott) into Samurott?
I'm playing White.
Competitively? Not really, no. Story wise? You’d have a tough-time, but it’s doable especially with Eviolite.

This isn't directly related to the games, but... does anyone know where I can find Pokemon sprites with white backgrounds? pokemondb.net has them for Gen 1 and Gen 2, but all the sprites from Gen 3 and beyond have transparent backgrounds.
I don’t, sorry :/ I can imagine it would be difficult to add with most free image editing softwares, though. I think Paint has been discontinued but there are others.
There's a website called Pixilart which is a pixil art editor that I use. You can upload images, and can edit the background of these images. If you upload Pokémon sprites to the editor, you'll probably be able to add white backgrounds to them with relative ease.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom