• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions/Simple Answers (Legends Arceus)

What charms? I've never heard of any charms in this game other than the Shiny Charm.

Such little room for error like that? Seriously? What the literal crap was GameFreak thinking?

I don't care if this is a Pokemon god, Pokemon games were never this hard before. I don't like that I feel like I'm playing a lunatic mode difficulty in a game. I haven't encountered a game as difficult as this one in literal years. It should have had difficulty settings, because I haven't been able to do much in this one without struggling. I'm a casual player, I don't care to look for big challenges all the time. Especially with my stress and anxiety issues these days. I play games to relieve those things, not add to them.

Regarding the charms, there's an old lady just off to the right of the training grounds (she's by a small shrine with Arceus' symbol on it). She sells you various charms that do things like increase the player's HP, protects against status ailments, reduces the number of items you'll lose if you black out, etc. There are five of each type of charm, if I'm remembering correctly, and you only get one charm for each level (so you'll max out with five different charms of a particular set in your inventory), with the ones you want are that "prevent fainting", as they'll increase the player's HP by certain amounts, thereby granting the player more room for error in battles with Nobles, wild Mons, and so on. They're decently priced (and I believe the get more expensive as you go up the level ladder) but they can save your skin against tough battles against something like a Noble. I learned about them after I beat the game, since I went in completely blind at first, but they're there to purchase.

Sheesh, don't get so worked up. I'm a causal player, too. I also have high stress and anxiety (and I take a cocktail of various pills to keep it in check), and I use games to relieve stress as well, and yet I'm still having fun despite the difficulty spike compared to more recent Pokemon games. While I do agree that a difficulty setting would be good (as long as it isn't as cumbersome to unlock like in B2W2, and especially if it's available at the start of the game like in Digimon World Next 0rder), you really need to not let it get the better of you. It's just a game, after all. It's not a matter of life and death. If you're getting this worked up you should just put it down for a while and play something else for a bit to cool your systems. That's what I do whenever I start getting overworked with a certain game and it allows me to tackle whatever it is that was frustrating me previously with a cool, level head. So don't let a game get you so hot under the collar. Yes, it can be a tough game, I won't deny that, but if even a high-stress/anxiety causal player like myself can stomach the challenge and have fun, then you shouldn't get so worked up over it. If it's getting to you, just put it down for a while and do something else until you're ready to try again. This isn't a marathon where you gotta complete something in a single run. Take it in controlled bursts. That's what I do and it helps me get through those nightmarish parts of certain games that cause me to want to ram my head into a wall. So, please, try to calm down and not get so worked up over one boss. "The road to success is paved with many failures" and that holds true, no matter what the category it's applying itself to.

Regarding the charms, there's an old lady just off to the right of the training grounds (she's by a small shrine with Arceus' symbol on it). She sells you various charms that do things like increase the player's HP, protects against status ailments, reduces the number of items you'll lose if you black out, etc. There are five of each type of charm, if I'm remembering correctly, and you only get one charm for each level (so you'll max out with five different charms of a particular set in your inventory), with the ones you want are that "prevent fainting", as they'll increase the player's HP by certain amounts, thereby granting the player more room for error in battles with Nobles, wild Mons, and so on. They're decently priced (and I believe the get more expensive as you go up the level ladder) but they can save your skin against tough battles against something like a Noble. I learned about them after I beat the game, since I went in completely blind at first, but they're there to purchase.

Sheesh, don't get so worked up. I'm a causal player, too. I also have high stress and anxiety (and I take a cocktail of various pills to keep it in check), and I use games to relieve stress as well, and yet I'm still having fun despite the difficulty spike compared to more recent Pokemon games. While I do agree that a difficulty setting would be good (as long as it isn't as cumbersome to unlock like in B2W2, and especially if it's available at the start of the game like in Digimon World Next 0rder), you really need to not let it get the better of you. It's just a game, after all. It's not a matter of life and death. If you're getting this worked up you should just put it down for a while and play something else for a bit to cool your systems. That's what I do whenever I start getting overworked with a certain game and it allows me to tackle whatever it is that was frustrating me previously with a cool, level head. So don't let a game get you so hot under the collar. Yes, it can be a tough game, I won't deny that, but if even a high-stress/anxiety causal player like myself can stomach the challenge and have fun, then you shouldn't get so worked up over it. If it's getting to you, just put it down for a while and do something else until you're ready to try again. This isn't a marathon where you gotta complete something in a single run. Take it in controlled bursts. That's what I do and it helps me get through those nightmarish parts of certain games that cause me to want to ram my head into a wall. So, please, try to calm down and not get so worked up over one boss. "The road to success is paved with many failures" and that holds true, no matter what the category it's applying itself to.
I believe I've seen the lady you're talking about, but I had no idea she had any sort of purpose. The game should really tell you these things. :/

I don't mean to get "worked up," sorry... I'm just saying it's irksome to have a franchise that was never hard for you and always fun to suddenly be frustratingly hard. That's all.

That said, I finally did manage to clear this. I had to use continues, of course, but it actually was possible to learn the attack patterns just enough.

I wouldn't exactly call Crash Bandicoot casual since Crash can't take a hit unless he has a mask. Also, as a fellow Megaman Battle Network fan, I'd like to remind you of 3, particularly Flash Man, Bubble Man, Desert Man, Drill Man and the Press program.

Which poison 'mons are available, (assuming they still get 100% accuracy when using Toxic)?

In case I need to grind? I don't merely want large amounts of exp. since I don't want my Pokemon absorbing useless EVs.

What's the census on Hisuian Decidueye? I've not used grass pokemon in ages, but it looks promising despite the double weakness to flying.

Oh, I know Crash isn't a causal game (the first game can be brutal), but it's still fun and it was one of my introductions to gaming as a whole so I consider it causal enough. Plus the death animations are hilarious. And don't get me started on Battle Network 3. I know it had one of the best plots in the series but god they made the bosses annoying. Although FlashMan and DesertMan are easy if you know what you're doing. BubbleMan... he needs to be deleted permanently, as he gives cowards a bad name. Only CircusMan is more evil because he gets too much plot armor. And DrillMan is only annoying 'cause Breaking Chips were impractical and scarce, forcing you to rely on wide effect chips like the Elemental Swords or AOE chips like (ironically) FlashMan. But he's not too tough if you plan accordingly. And, of course, like you said, Press was a pain (the Navi Cust in 3 was too cumbersome to begin with). Glad that program was just a one-game wonder.

Now, to answer your questions. The Poison Mons available are: Zubat line, Croagunk line, Stunky line, Roselia line, Quilfish line, Tentacool line, Dustox, Gastly line, Skorupi line, H-Sneasel, and Sneasler. And Toxic isn't in the game (besides, status ailments are joke in this game, as they only last about 3 turns, give or take).

There are no EVs in this game nor IVs. There is a new system called Effort Points (or something along those lines) which you can only increase with the Grit items, so you don't need to worry about stray EVs since they're not even in the game.

H-Decidueye is pretty solid. I've been using one lately and it's not half-bad. You can easily run a moveset that rotates around crits as its new signature attack: Triple Arrows, not only reduces the opponent's defenses but increases your crit rate a la Focus Energy. Plus it has access to False Swipe early on (via tutor) which can help in catching Mons. It'll struggle a bit at first but once it evolves into H-Decidueye it can become quite the force. Hope that helps.

I'm attempting to do the Tricky Treats Tactic quest and I have the 10 mushroom cakes and talked to Mai for the cutscene in Alabaster Icelands but Secret Hallow is still blocked off so I can't get in to deliver the mushroom cakes.

You just need to dodge attacks and throw balms with near pin-point perfection. There's no other way. It is possible to dodge, you just need to time it to the absolute millisecond. And stock up on those charms that increase the player's HP, as that'll at least give you a little more room for error. But it is possible. It's very, very difficult, but it is possible. After all, you're dealing the Poke-God, and it'll make you feel like the puny mortal that you are to it. But it is possible to win, you just need to keep at it and practice your dodges/throws. Take a few attempts to read Arceus' attack patterns and plan from there. That's all the advice I can give, as there really isn't anything else to it except beyond perfect timing.

You have to time dodges to the millisecond?
Well shit. I'm not quite there but now I'm kind of dreading it. I'm ass at dodging.

I'm attempting to do the Tricky Treats Tactic quest and I have the 10 mushroom cakes and talked to Mai for the cutscene in Alabaster Icelands but Secret Hallow is still blocked off so I can't get in to deliver the mushroom cakes.

You have to time dodges to the millisecond?
Well shit. I'm not quite there but now I'm kind of dreading it. I'm ass at dodging.

You need a Mon to remove the rocks like you would if you were harvesting materials. Just chuck a ball with one of your Mons at it and it'll break the rock blocking it. There are a handful of those boulders blocking pathways that can be smashed to clear open new areas (they also grant you Iron Chunks so it's good to get rid of all of them, although unlike other material spots they don't respawn, so once you blast it its gone for good).

Pretty much. The best strategy is to read Arceus's attack patterns, stock up on the charms that boost the PC's HP, and practice dodging. Since you can rematch the Nobles in the post-game I suggest you use them to train yourself to dodge better (plus they're great for getting higher-level Grit items, depending on how well you do). Just remember that you do get a brief invincibility frame when you dodge, so if you can time your dodge just right you can pass through the attack if need be. But basically dodging is your best friend with Arcues. And use any/all continues you can if the Poke-God beats you into the ground, as it'll lessen the strain of trying to win with no real consequence to you.

You need a Mon to remove the rocks like you would if you were harvesting materials. Just chuck a ball with one of your Mons at it and it'll break the rock blocking it. There are a handful of those boulders blocking pathways that can be smashed to clear open new areas (they also grant you Iron Chunks so it's good to get rid of all of them, although unlike other material spots they don't respawn, so once you blast it its gone for good).
Oh, snap. I had no idea those blockages could be smashed though I have noticed that they look smashable.
Well now I feel stupid for the roundabout path I had taken to get to do the onix quest in OF. XD

Pretty much. The best strategy is to read Arceus's attack patterns, stock up on the charms that boost the PC's HP, and practice dodging. Since you can rematch the Nobles in the post-game I suggest you use them to train yourself to dodge better (plus they're great for getting higher-level Grit items, depending on how well you do). Just remember that you do get a brief invincibility frame when you dodge, so if you can time your dodge just right you can pass through the attack if need be. But basically dodging is your best friend with Arcues. And use any/all continues you can if the Poke-God beats you into the ground, as it'll lessen the strain of trying to win with no real consequence to you.
I'll keep that in mind.

Oh, snap. I had no idea those blockages could be smashed though I have noticed that they look smashable.
Well now I feel stupid for the roundabout path I had taken to get to do the onix quest in OF. XD

I'll keep that in mind.

Don't worry. I didn't know that at first either. I found out purely by accident when I chucked a ball with one of my Mons at the blockade in the Crimson Mirelands near where you use Ursaluna to find Arezu when I revisited the place for other reasons (I was attempting to aim at something else and released the ZR button too quickly, resulting in said accidental discovery). I'm certain several other people never put that together right away either, so it's all good.

Which Pokemon are post game, so I don't get my hopes up with planning my party? Unless there aren't any exclusive to the post game.

The Lake Trio, Cresselia, Regigigas, Heatran, the Genies, and Giratina. And maybe the other two starters you didn't pick (I know Professor Laventon will give you his remaining ones after the credits roll, and they can appear in space-time distortions but I'm not 100% sure if you can find them prior to the credits). But other than some legends/mythicals and perhaps the other two starters pretty much everything else is obtainable before the post-game. So you've got quite a bit of freedom to craft your team. Hope that helps.

Genies? The only genie I know of is Hoopa.

Otherwise, that's a relief. Thanks.
They mean Landorus, Tornadus, and Thundurus. I don't know why some people call them genies either, they don't look like genies to me, more like demons floating on clouds. Their proper name is the Forces of Nature.

They mean Landorus, Tornadus, and Thundurus. I don't know why some people call them genies either, they don't look like genies to me, more like demons floating on clouds. Their proper name is the Forces of Nature.

You're forgetting the newest addition to the group: Enamorous. But yes, that's what I mean by genies, since the fandom often calls them that for short.

You're forgetting the newest addition to the group: Enamorous. But yes, that's what I mean by genies, since the fandom often calls them that for short.
I didn't forget, I just wanted to be courteous and not throw out spoilers to someone who may or may not want spoilers... >_>

I didn't forget, I just wanted to be courteous and not throw out spoilers to someone who may or may not want spoilers... >_>

You could've just used a inline spoiler to cover the new Mon's name instead of deliberately leaving it out. After all, spoiler or otherwise, it's still important if you want to complete the dex and reach Arceus. And considering that other have spoken of the new addition on this thread a few times now it's kinda hard to spoil what's already been spoiled.

You could've just used a inline spoiler to cover the new Mon's name instead of deliberately leaving it out. After all, spoiler or otherwise, it's still important if you want to complete the dex and reach Arceus. And considering that other have spoken of the new addition on this thread a few times now it's kinda hard to spoil what's already been spoiled.
Sure, but I find it easier to just not type it at all.

How do the research tasks work?

I defeated a Buizel using Shinx's Thundershock and it gets recorded, but there's no marking on the left side's check box. The Pokédex also says Buizel's entry is complete since its Research Level 10 despite having both red background with white arrow check boxes and blank check boxes.
You don't need to complete all tasks to reach level 10, you only need to reach 10 points among all task to obtain them. The reward for reaching Level 10 in all Pokemon is the Shiny Charm and the reward for completing all tasks is an increased shiny chance on the specific Pokemon.

Task will appear green and thus won't count as completed until you talk with the Professor.

How would I prevent Pokemon from running away that I'm trying to catch and battle? I know there are items for this, but I threw a Dazzling Honey at a Combee and it flew away.

I've also been having mild trouble with moving around. Sometimes I just slow down to a crawl, I'm not even going up a slope, merely walking around Jubilife Village can cause this.

I would just simply stockpile and use Oran Berries. Berries are the universal food for Pokemon so you don't have to play preferences with the Mons, especially if you don't know their preferred food yet. And since Oran Berries are ridiculously common they're easy to gather and use. in one playthrough I already had over 200 Oran Berries before I even fought Kleavor, as I tend to horde as much as I possibly can when I can. Also, I suggest you throw the food not directly at the Mon, but near it so you can guide it to where you want it to be, such as putting it in range of your throws. Throwing it directly at the Mon will alert it to your presence and cause it to either attack or flee, depending on the species. While the various types of Cake Lures (such as Honey Cake and Bean Cake) are considered the best at luring Mons into desired spots, I prefer to simply use Oran Berries since they're universal to all Mons and only take up one inventory slot, making them easier, especially early on.

As for the movement issue, you might be having some Joy-Con drift or another similar issue. It sounds like your Joy-Cons are the problem, not the game itself. Considering my Joy-Cons are also having some issues (they cause the PC to move even when I don't want to every now and then) it sounds like you either need to get the Joy-Cons fixed or replaced, as they might be causing the issue.

eh, I actually also tried throwing food near the mons, but same thing pretty much, but I guess I could work on my aim

I did consider joy con drift, but it was fine in other games and I checked the calibration for good measure.

When throwing food it's best to aim roughly a few in-game feet from it, being just far enough to divert its attention from you yet close enough for you to set it up into the spot you want it. It may take a couple of attempts to get it right, as aiming isn't easy in this game and even the slightest angle change can make all the difference, but, again, it's better to use Oran Berries for lures over the other food items since they're universal and don't require much effort to get.

That's good to hear. I'd still keep that in mind, though, as even if it doesn't affect all games it might still need to be addressed eventually, as it could be the early stages of the Joy-Cons deteriorating.

Minor addendum to what CL said, though Oran are easier, if and when you get to the point where you have easy access to a good amount of Razz berries those make Pokemon more likely to be caught when eaten, serving a dual purpose and thus it's my berry of choice.

In terms of trying to Catch them, the biggest thing is making sure they don't see you. Tall Grass and Smoke Bombs are your friend, then use berries to position them where you want, and hit them in the back with the ball of choice. If you want to Catch a pokemon, whenever possible you want to avoid them ever knowing you're there, and avoid the battle interface coming up at all, or else you risk them running away and this game lacks the abilities and moves which would allow you to prevent it. If you never catch them in the balls you're throwing, you might be too low level for the Pokemon in question, or you might need better Pokeballs.

Note that if you Do get spotted, or if you just can't get them to cooperate to where you can throw at their back, you can use Spoiled Apricorns or equivalent (Balls of Mud or Snow or Sticky Globs or whatever) to stun them, then run around to their back and they'll still be in a "catchable" status.

For Battling a skittish Pokemon, all the same stuff applies! It's just a Pokemon you'll throw into their back instead of an empty Pokeball. Catching them "unawares" by throwing a Pokemon into their back while they're "catchable" makes them skip their first turn or two, which should give you time to defeat them with the move type of choice before they can run away.

I hope that helps!

What does the little star and berry-like icons next to massive mass outbreaks mean?

If memory serves, the star icons indicate that the outbreak can gain a second level to them (in other words a new horde will form after the first one is finished, usually consisting of the Mon's evolved form, an Alpha horde, or whatnot). I'm not 100% sure but that's what happens to me whenever I go to one of those outbreaks. The berry icon indicates that you can get Aguva Berries from catching/defeating the Mons in the outbreak, which is a good way to replenish your Aguva Berry stock as the only other way to get them is via the special berry farming in Jublilife Village, and that costs 20,000 Pokedollars a pop. Hope that helps.

If memory serves, the star icons indicate that the outbreak can gain a second level to them (in other words a new horde will form after the first one is finished, usually consisting of the Mon's evolved form, an Alpha horde, or whatnot). I'm not 100% sure but that's what happens to me whenever I go to one of those outbreaks. The berry icon indicates that you can get Aguva Berries from catching/defeating the Mons in the outbreak, which is a good way to replenish your Aguva Berry stock as the only other way to get them is via the special berry farming in Jublilife Village, and that costs 20,000 Pokedollars a pop. Hope that helps.
Okay, that make a lot more sense. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom