• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Scarlet & Violet Edition)

I've got a question about Cinderace too. Is anyone ACTUALLY BEATING THIS THING? It seems impossible. I see other players struggling against it too. I'm trying out different stuff, but no luck at all yet... :/ I didn't have much issue with Charizard.
I wasn't sure whether to go for Armarouge or Flutter Mane, but Austin John did a video where he beat it with Espathra

I wasn't sure whether to go for Armarouge or Flutter Mane, but Austin John did a video where he beat it with Espathra

I actually ended up doing that too. I leveled up my Espathra, Banana, to 95, gave it Reflect, changed its nature, changed its held item, switched up its EVs some, and at one point I got a team together that did win the battle. I'm not exactly sure how because tera raids are honestly a complete mess with the processing of player attacks and all (there's lag, and I often see seemingly random damage loss or recovery and stuff without visible explanation, indicating that attacks were virtually skipped over, for instance), but I got my Cinderace.

Also, what's really stupid is that the timer continues to tick during animations and all. Like why is this a thing.

I actually ended up doing that too. I leveled up my Espathra, Banana, to 95, gave it Reflect, changed its nature, changed its held item, switched up its EVs some, and at one point I got a team together that did win the battle. I'm not exactly sure how because tera raids are honestly a complete mess with the processing of player attacks and all (there's lag, and I often see seemingly random damage loss or recovery and stuff without visible explanation, indicating that attacks were virtually skipped over, for instance), but I got my Cinderace.

Also, what's really stupid is that the timer continues to tick during animations and all. Like why is this a thing.

Glad you caught it.
Do you know if the event is time limited AFTER you do Pokeportal news?
So if I don't do PPN now, will I still be able to have the raid appear after Jan 1st (not including the repeat event)

Glad you caught it.
Do you know if the event is time limited AFTER you do Pokeportal news?
So if I don't do PPN now, will I still be able to have the raid appear after Jan 1st (not including the repeat event)
I don't really know, actually. I wouldn't think so though.

The Cinderace raid has made me realise that I genuinely hate this Pokémon, so there's a fun little epiphany I've experienced. Perhaps they'll make it a triple feature on my most despised fully-evolved starters with a Greninja raid next?

Anyway, I've found some success with a Weak Armor Armarouge I caught a month ago. Calm Mind, Iron Defense, Clear Smog, and Stored Power, while holding Mirror Herb because this Cinderace always leads with Bulk Up. It's nowhere near as consistent as my story mode Grimmsnarl whose Spirit Break made Charizard a total joke, but it's definitely functional.

My gut's telling me that the raids won't know to update until you connect online, which is something I offhandedly noticed about other event raids, so in theory you could freeze one of these Cinderace instances if you stay offline? I haven't tried exploiting that (and to be honest I wouldn't even think of doing a 7 star raid offline because I'm not a sadist, this one's been painfully unfun even with other people helping out).

The Cinderace raid has made me realise that I genuinely hate this Pokémon, so there's a fun little epiphany I've experienced. Perhaps they'll make it a triple feature on my most despised fully-evolved starters with a Greninja raid next?

Anyway, I've found some success with a Weak Armor Armarouge I caught a month ago. Calm Mind, Iron Defense, Clear Smog, and Stored Power, while holding Mirror Herb because this Cinderace always leads with Bulk Up. It's nowhere near as consistent as my story mode Grimmsnarl whose Spirit Break made Charizard a total joke, but it's definitely functional.

My gut's telling me that the raids won't know to update until you connect online, which is something I offhandedly noticed about other event raids, so in theory you could freeze one of these Cinderace instances if you stay offline? I haven't tried exploiting that (and to be honest I wouldn't even think of doing a 7 star raid offline because I'm not a sadist, this one's been painfully unfun even with other people helping out).

I'm mainly thinking how to reduce the time pressure on me.

I learned these games are supposed to have a targeting feature, and I'm like why have I never known about it or been able to use it? And turns out, it just doesn't work. I tried to target what I thought might've been a shiny Wattrel. It was flying too high for me to encounter the normal way. But no matter how many times I pressed that ZL button, my trainer wouldn't target it and would just randomly throw the Pokeball like normal. And now I might've failed a shiny because of a feature that appears to be broken. I don't understand this, does anyone else have this issue? Yes, I made sure I was pressing the right button.

Just got a Clear Amulet and am wondering how to use it in battle. It says that the Amulet prevents the Pokemon's stats from being lowered... So how does it react with the Abilities that trigger when a Pokemon's stat is lowered? For instance, when a Pokemon with the Ability 'Contrary' equips the Clear Amulet, what would happen? Also, can the Abilities 'Competitive' and 'Defiant' be triggered when equipping this Amulet?

Is there any place I can use to check trainers/wild Pokémon per area?

I want to make things easier for my anxiety (and for the False Swipe requirement). Got that already.

EDIT: Also, a good idea for a fifth team member? I'm already using the three starters + Tarountula (since it is the only Paldean Pokémon that can learn FS at this point in the game. I'm hoping for a Gen IX Pokémon that doesn't clash with the final evos of the other four.

Last edited:
I've caught the Raid Greninja but there's one thing that looks slightly off about it. The nature is Sassy, which boosts Special Defense and lowers Speed. Is it probable they meant Naive (+Speed -Sp. Def) and ended up making an error with Sassy? Modest and Adamant were rather optimal with Charizard and Cinderace but Sassy seems weird for a Greninja.

Hi! I just started playing Scarlet and this is the first Pokémon game I've played on the Switch. I'm only 4 hours into the game and trying not to spoil the story, but I'm not sure if these questions will be answered soon (if at all):

1) How does the game change by playing online? Are raids only available online? When/how can you start participating in raids?
2) What do sandwiches, coffee, etc. do? I know that they level up certain stats but I don't know what those stats are for.

Thanks!

1) How does the game change by playing online? Are raids only available online? When/how can you start participating in raids?
Online play isn't required for anything to my knowledge, and it doesn't change anything about the game unless you want to raid, battle, or trade with other real people. Raids don't require online either, since you can just play alongside three CPU players if you want.

One- and two-star Tera Raids are unlocked from the minute you start exploring the region! You'll find them marked on the map, and they'll look like small crystal caves emitting a sparkly beam of light. The farther you progress in the game, you'll unlock higher level Tera Raids.

2) What do sandwiches, coffee, etc. do? I know that they level up certain stats but I don't know what those stats are for.
Meal Powers generally influence the Pokémon that show up in the wild. For instance, Encounter Power Normal Lv. 1 will make slightly more Normal-type Pokémon appear than others (if applicable). The higher your Meal Power's level, the stronger its effect will be.

There are also powers with other benefits, like receiving more Exp. or items after winning battles against Pokémon of that type. Here's a list of every power and their effects!

Quick question. I heard something that consumable Held Items like Throat Spray, Focus Sash, and Berries will respawn after the battle ends in these games. And I mean regular gameplay, not Raids or online/tournament battles. Is that true? If so it would make such items more desirable to use in-game (especially since they tend to be a tad pricey now). Thanks in advance.

Quick question. I heard something that consumable Held Items like Throat Spray, Focus Sash, and Berries will respawn after the battle ends in these games. And I mean regular gameplay, not Raids or online/tournament battles. Is that true? If so it would make such items more desirable to use in-game (especially since they tend to be a tad pricey now). Thanks in advance.
Yes, it is true, but iirc that doesn't apply to berries.

What am I supposed to do to find Iron Leaves exactly?
Hello
Iron Leaves is a 5 stars raid so you need have access to 5 stars raids to get it, if you beat the game you probably already got them.
Then go to "Mystery Gifts" and do the informations update.
After that if you look at the Map, you'll see a glowing grass psychic type tera raid. It's probably Iron Leaves.
You Can also search for an online raid, you'll likely be able to join an Iron Leaves/Walking Wake Tera Raid.

Last edited:
Hello
Iron Leaves is a 5 stars raid so you need have access to 5 stars raids to get it, if you beat the game you probably already got them.
Then go to "Mystery Gifts" and do the informations update.
After that if you look at the Map, you'll see a glowing grass type tera raid. It's probably Iron Leaves.
You Can also search for an online raid, you'll likely be able to join an Iron Leaves/Walking Wake Tera Raid.
I just read on Reddit that you are supposed to join a tournament in the post-game to unlock 5-star raids or something along these lines. Hence why I wanted to make sure I have everything set and ready.

I just read on Reddit that you are supposed to join a tournament in the post-game to unlock 5-star raids or something along these lines. Hence why I wanted to make sure I have everything set and ready.
Oh I think those are for 6 stars raids but I could be wrong. The school tournaments are very easy so if that doesn't work and you need to join one, don't worry too much, you can even get exp for the Pokémon you're planning to use in the raid there.
Also I made a little mistake, it's a psychic raid not a grass one !

Back
Top Bottom