• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Maybe this is a weird question, but what sound should a Beedrill make? (Coincidentally, a beedrill appears in my next chapter as well, LT, though there's no attacking Beedrill storm, its being used in a battle.) I can't remember what sound it made in the anime and for some reason I can't imagine a Beedril making a straight "Beedrill~!" sound. O_O What do you guys think it should say?

Maybe this is a weird question, but what sound should a Beedrill make? (Coincidentally, a beedrill appears in my next chapter as well, LT, though there's no attacking Beedrill storm, its being used in a battle.) I can't remember what sound it made in the anime and for some reason I can't imagine a Beedril making a straight "Beedrill~!" sound. O_O What do you guys think it should say?

I imagine it would buzz. I agree, it would be odd if Beedrill was one of those "say your name" Pokemon.

Beedrill buzz in the anime. It's one of those Pokemon that don't say their name. It makes sense though, not like a screaming plant.

Good to know, thanks guys. I think I'll just go with the generic Bzz! as suggested.

I need advice

Right now i have already got some advice but I want a whole lot of advice, so can anyone give me some advice to writing a fanfic cause mine sucks at the moment

Re: I need advice

It might be helpful if you write out ideas of what you want to do for a few Chapters. Try keeping a notebook and write ideas down that come to you through out the day. Don't forget to read, reread and reread even more. You might think they suck but that's okay. Right now I'm working on Version 3 of one of my stories and going back and reading Version 1 of the same story yeah I was like damn what the hell was I thinking. But I learned to just slow down and not jump around when I write.

@Cooking king; I think in this case rather than help in general writing questions, you may need a beta reader to help you go line by line with your story specifically. maybe you should post some of your work and see what people have to say about it?

@Cooking king; I think in this case rather than help in general writing questions, you may need a beta reader to help you go line by line with your story specifically. maybe you should post some of your work and see what people have to say about it?

Yea I am just working on the end of the first chapter then i might get someone to take a look at it, hopefully it turns out well and i got tons of free time over the weekend

Commanded - Ordered and others

One problem that I have with writing my fanfic is different words for commanded or ordered.
For example.
"Wooper, use Water Gun!" Free commanded.
I always find myself going back and forth between commanded, ordered, yelled, called, screamed, etc.
Do any of you have any suggestions on different ways to do this? Different ways that they can give orders.
Sometimes, if it is a long battle, I'll just leave the sentence without writing who said it.
"Wooper, use Water Gun!"
And while this is effective, it doesn't seem to always work.
I just feel so bland when I do commanded or ordered so much.

Re: Commanded - Ordered and others

One problem that I have with writing my fanfic is different words for commanded or ordered.
For example.
I always find myself going back and forth between commanded, ordered, yelled, called, screamed, etc.
Do any of you have any suggestions on different ways to do this? Different ways that they can give orders.
Sometimes, if it is a long battle, I'll just leave the sentence without writing who said it.
"Wooper, use Water Gun!"

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it sounds like you've got enough variation as it is with commanded, ordered, yelled, called, screamed, and whatnot. There are only so many ways to say the same thing, it's getting your point across that matters. There should be enough space between commands what with describing the battle that I'd be surprised if the reader noticed.

For example.
"Wooper, use Water Gun!"

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it sounds like you've got enough variation as it is with commanded, ordered, yelled, called, screamed, and whatnot. There are only so many ways to say the same thing, it's getting your point across that matters. There should be enough space between commands what with describing the battle that I'd be surprised if the reader noticed.

I see what you're saying. But after writing a full 6-on-6 battle, you start to notice how repetitive it is. I just want new ways to do it.

In that case, you could also use "responded" when the trainer is ordering some kind of counter or dodge. I usually stick to your second method, where you skip the speech tags completely. It's usually fairly obvious who's ordering what. If it really becomes a problem, try writing your description in such a way that less emphasis is put on the trainers' orders. Not sure if that makes sense, but hopefully you see what I mean.

I see what you're saying. But after writing a full 6-on-6 battle, you start to notice how repetitive it is. I just want new ways to do it.

Often what I do is simply omit the commands altogether. Let the Pokémon battle by themselves, and have the trainer commands be implied.

For example.
"Wooper, use Water Gun!"

How about switching perspectives to the pokémon instead and let the commands fall into the background?

A somewhat spoilery question for "Pokemon: The Song of Jewels", so I'm putting it in spoiler tags:

When Brock and Wendy find one of the Gems of Song, light from it goes into Brock's heart, granting him the usage of the spellsong Meloetta sealed inside. My question is, even though the light of the gem doesn't also go into Wendy's heart, should she also be able to spellsing?

For example.
"Wooper, use Water Gun!"

How about switching perspectives to the pokémon instead and let the commands fall into the background?

I would do that, if I did first person. I'm always doing third person, so it is more of an overworld look.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom