• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Heh, figures this reply came in just minutes before I posted the chapter I was having trouble with. That's the approach I took, hopefully it's worked well enough.

I'm trying to think of flying types you don't normally see get attention in fics. Can anyone suggest some that you feel could use a spotlight?
I'm thinking of an Archen right now, since it could give some storylines with its inability to fly.
I've also got Rufflet on the mind too, since its only gotten like one appearance in the anime and I don't know of too many fics that use Unova Pokemon.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of flying types you don't normally see get attention in fics. Can anyone suggest some that you feel could use a spotlight?
I'm thinking of an Archen right now, since it could give some storylines with its inability to fly.
I've also got Rufflet on the mind too, since its only gotten like one appearance in the anime and I don't know of too many fics that use Unova Pokemon.

Moved this to General Writing Questions for you.

I like Archen and Rufflet. Vullaby's another good one. Tropius is criminally underappreciated IMO. Farfetch'd as well. I love flying-types in general, so there are a lot I'd choose.

I don't think I've ever seen a Doduo/Dodrio used, or at least not in a memorable way. Hoot Hoot and Noctowl also come to mind as relatively underused, other than to fill out a nighttime atmosphere. I see Chatot mentioned quite a bit as a comparison to something else, but I don't think I've actually seen one make a physical appearance.

Moved this to General Writing Questions for you.

I like Archen and Rufflet. Vullaby's another good one. Tropius is criminally underappreciated IMO. Farfetch'd as well. I love flying-types in general, so there are a lot I'd choose.
I considered Vullaby but I've already used it by another trainer, and Farfetch'd is currently under one of my main character's ownership as well. Tropius is a good suggestion but I've already slotted it to a character who hasn't debuted yet.

I don't think I've ever seen a Doduo/Dodrio used, or at least not in a memorable way. Hoot Hoot and Noctowl also come to mind as relatively underused, other than to fill out a nighttime atmosphere. I see Chatot mentioned quite a bit as a comparison to something else, but I don't think I've actually seen one make a physical appearance.
Ooo the Doduo line is a good suggestion, I may use them since they aren't like typical flying types. The Hoothoot line is good too, since I think that was one of the original flying types I had in mind but moved on to Rufflet and Archen after considering giving Hoothoot to a different trainer.

It just seems to difficult because flying types are so often seen in the anime that I can't make a good direct decision after utilizing all the underappreciated flying types

Last edited:
I'd personally be interested in seeing Doduo also, to see how the two heads (or three for Dodrio) are used in battles, or I could just see some interesting character interaction coming out of it. You could do Swablu and use mega Altaria at some point if you want. I'm also a huge fan of Togekiss, Delibird, Skarmory, and Sigilyph... I guess it's kind of hard to narrow down if you're just looking for underused flying-types.

I'd personally be interested in seeing Doduo also, to see how the two heads (or three for Dodrio) are used in battles, or I could just see some interesting character interaction coming out of it. You could do Swablu and use mega Altaria at some point if you want. I'm also a huge fan of Togekiss, Delibird, Skarmory, and Sigilyph... I guess it's kind of hard to narrow down if you're just looking for underused flying-types.
Perhaps I'll take the Doduo route then, since I think I can make it fit the character. I already have decided to give Mega Altaria and its lines to a different trainer as well.
Skarmory was actually the original bird I had in mind before switching to Rufflet and then to Archen and now to Doduo

I'm a bit late to the party but Unfezant, Mothim, Masquerain, and Sigilyph are all pretty forgotten about Pokemon. Also, Fun fact! There are only two pure flying type Pokemon, and they're both Tornadus.

Zubat. I mean as a team Pokemon rather than a nuisance. Would also add Tropius, Hoppip, Skiploom and stuff.

Zubat. I mean as a team Pokemon rather than a nuisance. Would also add Tropius, Hoppip, Skiploom and stuff.
Hoppip is such a good suggestion since the person I'm trying to give a flying type to does not seem like they should have a hoppip at all, because it just clashes with their personality. Itd make for some humorous storylines and a plot to the story of utilizing the pokemon to its extent where both the trainer and pokemon can flourish.

So I'm struggling to think of a solution to a problem I've been noticing with my story: too much is happening too fast. Chapter 1 of my story starts on May 12th, while Chapter 13 starts on May 16th. Things are scheduled to slow down a bit (maybe a day or two per chapter) over the coming arc, but I still worry that's a bit too fast for some of the character interactions I have planned.

One method I've thought about doing is skipping ahead a week without moving the characters to a new location, where they do training/coordination practice during the break before moving onto the next location. I don't want to dedicate several chapters in a row to this training montage as it would get real boring real fast, so how would I go about explaining that this happened in a meaningful way that isn't just straight up "Andrea and X spent three days working on some new moves."? I'm also worried of large jumps in skill/strategy, in relation to this idea.

@Eliza Prescott: I've used time jumps a lot inbetween arcs, so it's a fine method. I don't think you really have to go into much detail, but I think a paragraph at least explaining the training and maybe how it went. If it was boring, make some mention of how they survived the boredom, hint at some character interactions or the past events. If there had been an incident a chapter ago, you could say "The time spent with the Pokemon had helped X calm down after the nightmare they had faced against Team Blah". With regards to the skill/strategy aspect, that can tie into it: maybe run over some moves the Pokemon learned, or include dialogue of two trainers reflecting on the training?

Do many people here worry about the 'é' in all the various Poké - things, such as Mart and Ball and Gear - or just go ahead with it as Poke?

Well, it's an easy diacritic to type, ALT+e. I think it may be different on different keyboards, since I see some people type it with the accent grave. è, and apparently not notice. I've got to admit, I find putting the wrong one on annoying. There's a decent argument for saying that it's not necessary, per se, on the basis that English doesn't use diacritics as standard - actually, if anything it should be Poke'mon/Poke'Ball, etc

I'll keep that in mind, Ace, even go back and look at some examples.

Do many people here worry about the 'é' in all the various Poké - things, such as Mart and Ball and Gear - or just go ahead with it as Poke?
0N2N21J.png

I always have easy access to it at the top of any specific chapter, within my notes/plans section. It's easy to just scroll up, grab the é and return to where I was.

when I'm just talking casually about pokemon with friends, never. But in an actual story, yeah, for the most part.

@Eliza Prescott:

I'm Latinoamericano so we have native és, no worries for me. In fact I usually go around spreading the benediction of free és to people so they can write Pokéstuff correctly (for example, if a fellow author tells me they can't get the symbol when they are proofreading), and if possible I also teach them how to add és to their keyboard. It's easy if you use Linux as you just add the é to xkbcomp's symbol table (I also added ♂, ♀ and ₽ for the same purposes, though I almost never use the latter); if you're on Windows you can do stuff like switch your keyboard layout from US English to US International, or install the official Keyboard Layout Creator.

So overall, for me és are a non-issue, and this being the marvelous world of the 21st Century I don't think there's strong reasons to not have és available.

Is there such thing as a government "rule by the beautiful"?

In my pmd story, Im thinking of writing about a (matriarchal) tribe of Lopunny where you gain more power the more beautiful you are.

Basically, they hold "showcasing" events akin to the rabbit showcasing we hold in real life to determine how worthy you are of breeding and passing your beauty on.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom