• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Hello fellow members! I am planning on doing a crossover of Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts. Sora gets pulled into the world of Pokemon, specifically, the world of Heartgold. How should I do the various game mechanics? Should I just explain about them when they are relevant to the story? What would be the best way to do this story? What should I be careful of?

Hey, Greninjaman!

You are in luck, I’m actually working on a Kingdom Hearts x Pokémon crossover as well, even if my version will lean a bit more toward the KH side.

Regarding the game mechanisms, I’m doing a bit of a fusion between Pokken/Rumble in terms of real time battling and KH in terms of combos and strategies. PP are replaced by the Command techniques from Birth by Sleep / Dream Drop Distance, with stronger techniques requiring a longer “cooldown” compared to weaker ones, and regular assaults like the PMD-esque tackles are akin to regular attacks from KH.

So, perhaps you could aim for a similar compromise, so that you can find a middle way between both franchises.

Hope to have helped. :)

I am currently working on a crossover (Pokemon/Kingdom Hearts), and am wondering: How can you tell if the writer is infodumping? I'm worried that I might be doing that...

I am currently working on a crossover (Pokemon/Kingdom Hearts), and am wondering: How can you tell if the writer is infodumping? I'm worried that I might be doing that...
Large chunks of explenation or humongous monologue with the intention of education the reader is usually the mark.

Spread it out through the narrative; show rather than tell; have a character explain it. There's a couple ways to do it, but they all have the same goal.

Imagine it like spreading butter on bread. I think most people like having a slab of butter spread thinly across the surface rather than being one huge chunk. Think of the bread as the story and the butter as the exposition.

I made a thread about exposition in fanfics.

Also, what does this Pokémon/Kingdom Hearts crossover entail? I'm mildly interested.
Well, it involves Sora going to the World of Pokemon (specifically Heartgold) in order to save it from a Darkness that is unnatural to that world. I am doing a challenge run over in the Writers Workshop. Where I'm at right now in life, I cannot do it right now (though I guess I can at least get it started). I'll PM you the link when I start it.

Well, it involves Sora going to the World of Pokemon (specifically Heartgold) in order to save it from a Darkness that is unnatural to that world. I am doing a challenge run over in the Writers Workshop. Where I'm at right now in life, I cannot do it right now (though I guess I can at least get it started). I'll PM you the link when I start it.
Link has been sent to you in a PM.

@Greninjaman Start by researching blindness, the experience of blind people, and advice from blind people on writing about blind characters. That's a really open-ended question you got there, you know!

Oh... Well. I suppose I could do that.

How possible is it to use all six Pokemon that Ash caught in Kanto in a journey fanfic?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is 100% possible. After all, you already have a storyline for each of them to work from.

@Greninjaman, I believe you should decide what you want to write, and try to write it. If you want to write all of Ash's canon pokémon into your fanfic, you should do that.

It is 100% possible. After all, you already have a storyline for each of them to work from.

@Greninjaman, I believe you should decide what you want to write, and try to write it. If you want to write all of Ash's canon pokémon into your fanfic, you should do that.
Sure thing! Got any tips/advice for me when it comes to that?
Also, what do you mean by each Pokemon has a storyline? you mean from the anime?

What are you asking for tips/advice on, @Greninjaman?

And yes, that is what I meant by that. If you're rewriting the anime, I assume you would use the same key plot developments.

An idea I've been considering using (haven't used it yet so I can't vouch for its effectiveness) is to have a chart for character focus chapters. Something like (very hastily put together):

oiO8LLC.png

I've been using this method for visualizing where my plot threads are used in my story so I know when to revisit them without waiting too long, I imagine the same can be done for characters. Visualizing how often you're using your characters and how long it's been since last focusing on them is probably your best bet in terms of not ignoring some of them.

An idea I've been considering using (haven't used it yet so I can't vouch for its effectiveness) is to have a chart for character focus chapters. Something like (very hastily put together):

oiO8LLC.png

I've been using this method for visualizing where my plot threads are used in my story so I know when to revisit them without waiting too long, I imagine the same can be done for characters. Visualizing how often you're using your characters and how long it's been since last focusing on them is probably your best bet in terms of not ignoring some of them.

Interesting idea... Perhaps I could do that as well. I am rewriting the anime so I'm certainly using every episode, which amounts to like 80 (for the Kanto Saga anyway). I will of course be adding in episodes that I created.

Just as a refresher: What is a Character Focus Episode? I think I know what it means.

A focus chapter/episode is where one character gets the most attention given to them, or it can be told from their perspective. Other characters can feature in it, but they won't necessarily be the driving force behind the chapter. Episode 134 is a good example (but maybe not the best example, as it was Charizard's final appearance for quite some time). Pikachu was given the back seat while Charizard got the most attention given to him, allowing him some time to develop as a character. That's the key to writing a good focus chapter/episode, identifying which character you want front and center to improve them. A chart like that'll be useful for keeping track so one isn't left behind.

A focus chapter/episode is where one character gets the most attention given to them, or it can be told from their perspective. Other characters can feature in it, but they won't necessarily be the driving force behind the chapter. Episode 134 is a good example (but maybe not the best example, as it was Charizard's final appearance for quite some time). Pikachu was given the back seat while Charizard got the most attention given to him, allowing him some time to develop as a character. That's the key to writing a good focus chapter/episode, identifying which character you want front and center to improve them. A chart like that'll be useful for keeping track so one isn't left behind.

Thanks! I have a chart set up in Microsoft Excel. I will try to make sure everyone gets equal focus, though I suppose there's nothing wrong with using one Pokemon less than others. It would be a problem is one only had like, one or two focus episodes (Primeape) and another one having more than other Pokemon (Charizard and Pikachu)

I wonder, out all of Ash's Kanto Pokemon, who got the most focus episodes? Would be an interesting chart to make for sure.

Ah, @Greninjaman, you just said a few posts ago that there were six pokémon you wanted to write in, so I was working off of that. Nevertheless, you clearly want to write in ten pokémon, and there's nothing stopping you from doing that.

I think we might be more able to help you if you explained what your goals are. We know you're rewriting the anime, but not what constitutes the rewriting. Are you writing this as if it were an episodic TV show or is it more of a novelisation? You want to write ten pokémon in Ash's party — are you going to have him cycle them out for the same reasons as he did in the show, or not? I seem to recall you were prepared to write this with Ash travelling solo, without Misty and Brock as companions, so I can only assume you're prepared to make serious changes. Of course, if you want to make lots of broad, significant changes in the rewrite I can't help but suggest that you consider whether you might enjoy writing an Original Trainer Journey.

In any case, regarding handling ten pokémon the fact is, if you want those ten pokémon to all be around at once and to be important characters then that's going to be hard. You can do it, it's just very challenging to do well! It comes down to this, though: splitting the 'screentime' evenly between characters means that the more characters you have, the less time each of them will have overall. Eventually there is a tipping point where focus episodes are too sparsely spread or broad episodes have too little time per character. Where that point is depends on individual preference.

The other thing I'm wondering about is why you want to write in all ten pokémon at once. After all, each time one left the party in the anime was one of the most significant moments for both plot and character. What's the reason for this plan?

I'm not sure I can give you tips that will definitely help you, especially without more information. But having a good balance of chapters focusing on each character and by tracking the time spent on them you might be able to keep them equally significant. You may also want to consider whether every pokémon needs to be really important. After all, they are kept mostly in their balls in canon, by way of the premise.

In any case, best of luck to you with figuring this out.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom