• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

I have a simple question!

If you saw a small chunk of programming-like code in the middle of a fic... would it distract you? I'm writing about a Porygon, and I'm thinking of adding in such codes in to denote dialogue and/or when the character is trying to process an idea.

If you saw a small chunk of programming-like code in the middle of a fic... would it distract you? I'm writing about a Porygon, and I'm thinking of adding in such codes in to denote dialogue and/or when the character is trying to process an idea.
Is the code based on a programming language or a “programming language”? If it’s legit science I usually let things slide (moreso than the average reader because LOL IT SCIENCE), but if it’s noticeably pseudoscience, I tend to get even more distracted.

I once read a fanfic from the perspective of a Porygon where it thought in short sentences, and didn't start referring to itself as "I" until it evolved.

something like python would be more readable for a non-coder, but it's also less code-y than c++. i agree about the """programming language""" bit. the language used doesn't have to be any real one, but it should look like one.

I love weird intrusions like that, but it bothers me when the intrusion is about a topic with which I'm familiar and it's wrong.

Kintsugi and Ambyssin had that experience with my work, regrettably ='P

Is the code based on a programming language or a “programming language”? If it’s legit science I usually let things slide (moreso than the average reader because LOL IT SCIENCE), but if it’s noticeably pseudoscience, I tend to get even more distracted.

something like python would be more readable for a non-coder, but it's also less code-y than c++. i agree about the """programming language""" bit. the language used doesn't have to be any real one, but it should look like one.

Yeah, it's """programming language""". I know enough to make it look like a real code (or at least I know a few people I can show the excerpts to that can ensure it looks like a real code). Would it be less intrusive if the codes were in between scenes/scene breaks?

I love weird intrusions like that, but it bothers me when the intrusion is about a topic with which I'm familiar and it's wrong.

Kintsugi and Ambyssin had that experience with my work, regrettably ='P

Fair enough. I definitely don't want this to be distracting, heh.

Hmm If I were to post a story here, should I leave out the Author's Notes?

Bonus Question: Are any of you Beta-readers/Critics? I would love to find someone outside my family.

I've got a solid question! So you might've read my post in the chat thread about a story Im writing that focuses on teenagers and how their focus on trivial problems balloons into supernatural conflicts. (Someone worried about their appearance/weight might literally become weightless, or someone worried about not fitting in or making friends might become invisible to others.) my question is, what would be a logical supernatural extent of someone being worried about not living up to the standards their siblings/peers/parents set?

"Logical supernatural" seems a contradiction in terms, but I'll give this a go, @UselessBytes.
"Living up to the standards of self/peers/family" is extremely broad. I suggest narrowing down to a specific standard, such as personal presentation, emotional fortitude, or academic performance. In the first case, they could become supernaturally appropriate to their social context and be perceived as without personal blemishes (or distinguishing features), in the second case they could become supernaturally detached from their fears and pains (and also their joys and aspirations), and in the third case they could become supernaturally competent in class (at the cost of suspicion, ire, and exploitation).
I note that your two examples are opposite in their relation to the sufferer. One is the extreme end of the kid's goal — they are trying to become weightless. The other is the extreme end of the kid's fear — it's something they're working against. Is that intentional? Which fits better with your narrative?

this may relate to the subject: i have kind of a history of nightmares where all sorts of surreal problems happen to me, such as rabid ferrets trying to break into the house or the bathroom being snake-infested, but everyone around me ignores those things and act like i'm crazy for being worried and stressed or overly demanding for wanting some help or sympathy. the way this would tie into not meeting expectations would be for the expectations to inhumanely high or obviously impossible for the creature who those expectations are put upon (a werewolf being yelled at for transforming in the middle of the party when they can't help it or something of the like).

@canisaries - distressing nightmares aren't well understood by people who don't have them. They're usually thought of as something children or trauma victims experience, and there is some stigma towards those affected. However, they are absolutely a real indicator of stress, and they are a disturbing experience in themselves. I have my own horrible fucked-up dreams, and I sympathise. I'm sorry more people close to you don't get it.

I'm writing a oneshot which involves a reasonably small Pokémon accidentally wreaking havoc on a village of what are basically fairies. Any idea on what that Pokémon could be? It's supposed to be mildly amusing.

I've already begun it from the perspective of a Cutiefly, but I don't know what kind of damage one could accidentally cause.

I'm writing a oneshot which involves a reasonably small Pokémon accidentally wreaking havoc on a village of what are basically fairies. Any idea on what that Pokémon could be? It's supposed to be mildly amusing.

I've already begun it from the perspective of a Cutiefly, but I don't know what kind of damage one could accidentally cause.

Togepi. Metronome. Randomness issues.

upload_2018-12-27_11-37-19.gif

I considered Togepi, but I'll use it now.

EDIT: ...Actually, I changed my mind. Togepi would be a bit awkward to work with, so I'll go back to using Cutiefly instead. I might write another story about a Togepi one day, though.

EDIT2: On second thoughts, maybe I will use Togepi after all. It's more kaiju-like in this context.

Last edited:
Is it alright to have a cosmetic detail fpr a character, like eye color, to be described some chapters after their introduction? Just curious because I made the mistake of not pointing it out at the time in mine, and it becomes important in a past work of mine.

(The story is a prequel.)

@lucarioknight56 it's absolutely fine, yes, so long as enough net emphasis is placed on it if it's so important. I actually don't like description dumps on introduction of a character. I only did it the once myself because of the context of the interaction.

How sudden should the 'jump' into a chapter be? I am currently writing a chapter of Dreams That You Dreamed that begins at a religious ceremony on the Mahalo Trail. I don't really want to begin with "This is why we are here and what's happening", but would it be too jarring if I opened with a sermon? I suppose I could have a tag of what day it is/where they are after the chapter title, but I don't usually do those either.

How sudden should the 'jump' into a chapter be? I am currently writing a chapter of Dreams That You Dreamed that begins at a religious ceremony on the Mahalo Trail. I don't really want to begin with "This is why we are here and what's happening", but would it be too jarring if I opened with a sermon? I suppose I could have a tag of what day it is/where they are after the chapter title, but I don't usually do those either.

The way I see it, opening a chapter with a dialog works if you want to have the reader be involved immediately into a scene, and I think it works best when you want to show some action ongoing.

For a sermon, which is something more quiet and calm, I’d start by giving out some bits of the ambience first. Maybe there is a pipe organ or a similar instrument playing? A soft light filtering through the windows? A quiet room with people gathered in celebration?

Once the setting is done, the priest or whoever is in charge could say their sermon, which could either be from the very beginning or the continuation of something started off-screen. I think that in this way the audience could be more into the quiet atmosphere of the ceremony and picture it more easily in their mind.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom