• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Question: why haven't I really seen stuff in fanfics implement Journeys stuff? I mean you'd think Riolu, Dragonite, and Gengar are easy to implement in most fanfic periods, the set up of the tournament W.C.S is easy to put anywhere, etc etc.

Question: why haven't I really seen stuff in fanfics implement Journeys stuff? I mean you'd think Riolu, Dragonite, and Gengar are easy to implement in most fanfic periods, the set up of the tournament W.C.S is easy to put anywhere, etc etc.
Likely due to how new the saga is I bet.

Now for my question: How does a fan-fic writer work around Pokemon type immunities? Like, it makes sense for Earthquake to not hit flying types since they tend to be in the air, but what about moves like Mud Shot or Sand Attack? Should I have it that the Flying Type Pokemon are very nimble?

Likely due to how new the saga is I bet.

Now for my question: How does a fan-fic writer work around Pokemon type immunities? Like, it makes sense for Earthquake to not hit flying types since they tend to be in the air, but what about moves like Mud Shot or Sand Attack? Should I have it that the Flying Type Pokemon are very nimble?

...Honestly I'd have to go with the idea that Mud Shot is fine. It's a mechanic problem more than a logic problem (a la Pokemon being able to dodge on their own).

...Honestly I'd have to go with the idea that Mud Shot is fine. It's a mechanic problem more than a logic problem (a la Pokemon being able to dodge on their own).
That does make sense. Like, a Beedrill would not be as nimble as say, a Pidgeot. One is Bug/Poison while the other is Normal/Flying. Though Butterfree certainly won't be as nimble as Pidgeot despite being a Flying type.

Is there anything else I can do to improve a worried character's dialog and actions? He had difficulty sleeping the night before. As he talks, he starts pacing and breathing rapidly.

It is fear for an injured sibling.

Phantom Thief Vaporeon it is, then! It was the one I came up with first, but I thought it sounded boring.

Speaking of which, the titular character comes from a world where Pokémon can easily learn human languages and Pokéballs don't exist, that's recently become aware of the multiverse, so the protagonist (named either Valley or Valytra, I can't decide) decides to sneak into ORAS Hoenn for the thrill of it. I want her to use her skills to help solve a crime in Mossdeep City, but I can't decide what it should be. A Team Aqua/Magma resurgence? Theft? Contest sabotage? Wally and/or Lisia will be major characters, and maybe I'll include Looker, but his amnesia might make that difficult.

Question about the rating tags. Would dead bodies count as Teen even if there is no blood and gore? I have an idea for a story, and it involves killing and dead bodies.

Noob question, and my first question here in the thread:

How do most of you approach Pokemon moves when writing fanfiction involving battles? In-game, each Pokemon only has four active moves available to them. Do fanfic writers hold hard and fast to this rule, or do they expand on that to allow Pokemon to have a larger repertoire of moves?

Noob question, and my first question here in the thread:

How do most of you approach Pokemon moves when writing fanfiction involving battles? In-game, each Pokemon only has four active moves available to them. Do fanfic writers hold hard and fast to this rule, or do they expand on that to allow Pokemon to have a larger repertoire of moves?

Depends on the author. I regard six as the practical limit - four is a bit too restrictive when you have many battles to write. More than about six and it becomes more difficult to write a tense battle (More moves means it's more likely for a trainer to logically solve a problem in mid-battle just by using a different move, as opposed to a different strategy).

Depends on the author. I regard six as the practical limit - four is a bit too restrictive when you have many battles to write. More than about six and it becomes more difficult to write a tense battle (More moves means it's more likely for a trainer to logically solve a problem in mid-battle just by using a different move, as opposed to a different strategy).

That makes a lot of sense...it would be more strategic for the character to have a manageable number of moves but use them intelligently, and more dramatic for the narrative for the Pokemon not to be able to steamroll any challenge with unlimited moves.

Next question: for fanfiction and RP, what is the common number of Pokemon to have on-hand?

I noticed that most of the gym leaders and random trainers have a low number, between one and three; I like this idea because it would allow the human character to focus on closer relationships with fewer Pokemon, and it would more dramatically penalize a human for not properly bonding with their Pokemon. Is this the norm in the fandom, though?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom