• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Can it be any animal seen as strong/big? Maybe eagles or hawks? Tigers and lions are also seen as powerful.

Sorry, but thanks to a friend elsewhere I've long since gotten the Karma Beasts ironed out: Boar, Ox, Cobra, Crab, and (Hercules) Beetle. He suggested I use animals from Zodiac, hence the Ox and Cobra (snake), along with the Crab after the astrological sign: Cancer. And in my series I'm pretty much past the Karma Beast arc (I just haven't posted all of it as I've had other RL events take place, like getting my Covid shot) and will enter the soon-to-be Chaos Chimera arc. Thanks for your suggestions, as I appreciate it, but the question has long since been answered.

Sorry, but thanks to a friend elsewhere I've long since gotten the Karma Beasts ironed out: Boar, Ox, Cobra, Crab, and (Hercules) Beetle. He suggested I use animals from Zodiac, hence the Ox and Cobra (snake), along with the Crab after the astrological sign: Cancer. And in my series I'm pretty much past the Karma Beast arc (I just haven't posted all of it as I've had other RL events take place, like getting my Covid shot) and will enter the soon-to-be Chaos Chimera arc. Thanks for your suggestions, as I appreciate it, but the question has long since been answered.

Zodiac animals are always a good idea. :)

I got a question. Sorry if this was asked already.
How long is too long for a Prologue?

A prologue's purpose is to provide context and background information to a story. There isn't really a strict limit to how long it should be, but usually they're shorter than chapters.

How do you get over the anxiety of "Should I post this story?" "What if the rating isn't right?" "What if my story sucks?" etc.?

I personally suffer a 'lack of attention' anxiety, but I just post it to ensure my fans get something, if nothing else. If you don't have fans....consider it a case of 'got to take a chance if you want to get going'

if someone says my story sucks in a review then ill point and laugh and say HAHA YOU READ THROUGH A STORY YOU DIDNT EVEN LIKE

if someone says my story sucks in a review then ill point and laugh and say HAHA YOU READ THROUGH A STORY YOU DIDNT EVEN LIKE
This is such a funny outlook I love it.
I suffer from "too much attention anxiety" where I don't want to have attention even though I'm posting fanfiction on the internet on three different sites specifically to get attention.
For me, it's a combination of "what if no one cares" and "What if too many people care".
If the Rating isn't right, it's not the end of the world. We don't delete first and ask questions later - if we think the Rating is wrong we'll PM you
That makes sense. Thanks.

How do you make indexes/link to specific posts in a thread?
First, you need the URL of the post. Get this by clicking on the post's date/timer at the top of it (it'll say something like "three minutes ago", "Monday", or an exact date depending on how long ago the post was). You can just right click then select copy link location as the quickest way.

Next, click the paperclip icon in the post editor to make a link, and just enter the copied URL into the URL section and the text you want in the text section and click insert.

First, you need the URL of the post. Get this by clicking on the post's date/timer at the top of it (it'll say something like "three minutes ago", "Monday", or an exact date depending on how long ago the post was). You can just right click then select copy link location as the quickest way.

Next, click the paperclip icon in the post editor to make a link, and just enter the copied URL into the URL section and the text you want in the text section and click insert.
Thank you :)

How do you make indexes/link to specific posts in a thread?
Daren already answered, but here's more!

...After writing all this, I feel foolish for re-explaining the wheel.
There's probably a good showcase example (or several) here of how to do these things but I don't want to look for it now.

You can also get the link for a post by mousing over the share icon and clicking the copy icon.
1616834077158.png
_____

You may already know this, but you can quote part of a message!
1616834507078.png

At bottom of your draft post:
1616834628329.png

When you go to "Insert quotes", you can arrange your quotes order, and they will be placed where your cursor is in the draft post.
1616834771061.png

The forum software will automatically covert to the BBCode (forum markup language) that will provide a quote box.

[-QUOTE="Daren, post: 7206821, member: 13911"]
First, you need the
[-/QUOTE]

Without the dashes above, the correct, automatic code displays a quote:
First, you need the

By the way! Spoilers use the same syntax. (without the dashes, and bolding)

[-SPOILER="spoiler title"]
[--content here--]
[-/SPOILER]
_____

For making an index and threadmarking for your own thread/story, you can click on the [3 dots /More] at the top right of thread.
1616833587125.png

You can add threadmark for an already submitted post at the bottom of that post. And you can add threadmark for a new post by including a label, I assume.
1616834306969.png
Hope that helps, even if a bit excessive/potentially unnecessary as usual from me :D

So let's say I publish a story (finally), and the first post is the prologue/pilot/whatever. Now let's say I want to add an index. Does it make more sense to add the index after the prologue, or edit the story so that the first post is the index?

So let's say I publish a story (finally), and the first post is the prologue/pilot/whatever. Now let's say I want to add an index. Does it make more sense to add the index after the prologue, or edit the story so that the first post is the index?
You could put it in a separate spoiler tag. I have seen people do that.

There are several options in a forum structure! Including what you and Greninjaman noted:
A - Edit first post from prologue to be index/title post.
B - Add index after the prologue. (and add threadmarking)
C - Combine index/title with the prologue. Optionally use spoiler tag for either.

(Theoretically I'm a big fan of option A! That's just personal preference!) Since forums allow for it, you can take advantage of having a separate first post for the title post, to include index, intro, content warnings, summaries, initial author notes, cover art. I like that you can keep the content to their own sections.

Option B sounds kind of avant-garde, haha. Something like a cold open or in-media-res, but in meta for fic.

Option C works well, too, and seems to be the default for FFN. Jump right into the story following the title info!

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom