• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

How does one write a character who is wise and sagely? I am talking, someone like the Great Deku Tree from the Zelda Games, specifically Ocarina of Time.
Wise/sage type characters typically:
  • know a lot of stuff
  • dispense wisdom (or fake deep quotes lol)
(There’s a lot of other stuff, so I recommend studying characters of the archetype.)

If you’re writing a specific, canon character, study their dialogue and speech patterns.

Wise/sage type characters typically:
  • know a lot of stuff
  • dispense wisdom (or fake deep quotes lol)
(There’s a lot of other stuff, so I recommend studying characters of the archetype.)

If you’re writing a specific, canon character, study their dialogue and speech patterns.
Thanks! That makes sense.

I've want an opinion on something regarding an idea for my prototype idea. In short, I want to know if including the concept of familiars would be a good idea or not? This prototype idea is, obviously, a fantasy series, thus things like monsters and magic are commonplace. I was wondering if including the idea that certain monsters can become familiars to people through summoning rituals and/or gaining the trust of wild ones would work here? Part of me wants to use this idea because it'll not only add a more mystical element to the world, prove that not all monsters are evil, and to incorporate some potential humor. What do you all think? Thanks in advance.

I've want an opinion on something regarding an idea for my prototype idea. In short, I want to know if including the concept of familiars would be a good idea or not? This prototype idea is, obviously, a fantasy series, thus things like monsters and magic are commonplace. I was wondering if including the idea that certain monsters can become familiars to people through summoning rituals and/or gaining the trust of wild ones would work here? Part of me wants to use this idea because it'll not only add a more mystical element to the world, prove that not all monsters are evil, and to incorporate some potential humor. What do you all think? Thanks in advance.
I'm personally a fan of the concept; a supernatural creature as a partner/servant is a good shorthand for "sort sort of magic user" and questions like "does the wizard choose the familiar or the familiar choose the wizard" can say a lot about the setting or involved characters.

I'm personally a fan of the concept; a supernatural creature as a partner/servant is a good shorthand for "sort sort of magic user" and questions like "does the wizard choose the familiar or the familiar choose the wizard" can say a lot about the setting or involved characters.

Thanks for the feedback. I, too, like the concept of "do you choose it or did it choose you", especially since it could also help determine a person's true character, capabilities, and potential. Thanks for offering some feedback on the idea.

Hi there! This is my first post on the Forums, so apologies if this isn't up to the normal standard or expectations of here-
I would like some brief pointers on how to write a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon styled story. I have previously written fics in other fandoms, but have yet to touch Pokémon. I like to think that my writing is good, and I can write scenes decently well, as well as creating characters. I do have some rough planning done on paper, but nothing too solid just yet.

I would definitely like to know what's the best route to take when creating a fic in the PMD style, so any advice is appreciated!

Hi there! This is my first post on the Forums, so apologies if this isn't up to the normal standard or expectations of here-
I would like some brief pointers on how to write a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon styled story. I have previously written fics in other fandoms, but have yet to touch Pokémon. I like to think that my writing is good, and I can write scenes decently well, as well as creating characters. I do have some rough planning done on paper, but nothing too solid just yet.

I would definitely like to know what's the best route to take when creating a fic in the PMD style, so any advice is appreciated!
Hello. Welcome the forums!

Anyway, to answer your question: I'd say, treat the dungeons as actual normal areas within the world, instead of magical places that change layouts each time you go in. That sort of thing does not translate well to a fanfic in my opinion.

Like with any story, all rules of the setting will be established by you, the writer. But here's a review about the common patterns of a PMD story...

• The protagonist is typically a human whisked away from the human world and turned into a Pokémon themselves, and brought to an alternate world where Pokémon are sentient and highly intelligent creatures that can build towns, operate businesses and go on dangerous jobs involving rescues, treasure hunting, etc. The protagonist typically has no memories of who they once were, aside from their name and the fact that they were once human.
  • The protagonist shortly encounters the deuteragonist, the partner Pokémon who will be their best friend for the rest of the adventure.
  • Most, if not all Pokémon, are capable of speech and can easily converse with each other.
  • Humans are nowhere to be seen. It's unclear if humans used to live in this Pokémon world, if they're a myth or if they live far away somewhere. However, it seems like all Pokémon in the PMD world are aware of what humans are.
  • The titular "mystery dungeon" is a mechanic in the world. Mystery Dungeons are strange areas that seem to constantly change shape and often hold resident hostile Pokémon and treasures. Sometimes, when you meet the proper conditions, a defeated resident Pokémon may offer to join your team.
  • Legendary/Mythical Pokémon tend to be portrayed in a case-by-case basis. Often, they're LOUD, BOOMING, territorial Pokémon that just attack you for trespassing on their lawn. Then they calm down after you defeat them. Others are treated like ordinary citizens/celebrities.
  • The plot can be surprisingly dark at points and usually involves the world ending in some way. Stuff like a disastrous meteor impact or time standing still for eternity.
  • The main story usually ends with the protagonist's team stopping disaster. After having fulfilled their purpose, the protagonist would vanish in some way, leaving the best friend deuteragonist and a number of other Pokémon heartbroken. Then by some magic, the protagonist returns and everybody is happy again.
Typically, I either see novelizations of existing PMD games or original stories that draw a lot of inspiration from PMD. Most follow the "talking Pokémon, no humans" rule. You can try something different as long as you make the rules of your setting consistent.

To make plotting easier, try to come up with a beginning, middle point, and an ending. If you can structure your plot into smaller segments, it'll be easier moving forward. Or you can pants the plot and let your imagination run wild.

Thank you both so much! I decided not to quote Orion’s post as it’s a bit lengthy-
I will definitely keep these in mind, as I am creating an original world as opposed to an existing area/story. I also hope to post some information about it soon (and maybe even publish it on the forums someplace)!

Thank you both so much! I decided not to quote Orion’s post as it’s a bit lengthy-
I will definitely keep these in mind, as I am creating an original world as opposed to an existing area/story. I also hope to post some information about it soon (and maybe even publish it on the forums someplace)!
An original world, huh? Some self-shilling here, but Stray takes place in an original setting. There are a few references to PMD but is otherwise its own thing. Here are some questions to ask yourself if you're doing some worldbuilding for a PMD-esque setting.

• What level of technology are the Pokémon at? How sentient/intelligent are the Pokémon?
  • Are there humans in this world? If not, are the Pokémon aware of what humans are?
  • What kind of food do they eat? Are predators allowed to hunt prey in this society? Or is that a taboo?
  • Are there named cities/towns/villages? Do they have their own economy? If so, how do Pokémon make money? Is there a governing body?
  • What does your original setting look like? Is it small-scale like a city or large-scale like a region/country/continent? How is the climate there? What kind of Pokémon can you expect to find?
Making up your own locations can be a lot of work, but they can also really pay off. With no restrictions other than your own, you can do a lot with original locations.

An original world, huh? Some self-shilling here, but Stray takes place in an original setting. There are a few references to PMD but is otherwise its own thing. Here are some questions to ask yourself if you're doing some worldbuilding for a PMD-esque setting.

• What level of technology are the Pokémon at? How sentient/intelligent are the Pokémon?
  • Are there humans in this world? If not, are the Pokémon aware of what humans are?
  • What kind of food do they eat? Are predators allowed to hunt prey in this society? Or is that a taboo?
  • Are there named cities/towns/villages? Do they have their own economy? If so, how do Pokémon make money? Is there a governing body?
  • What does your original setting look like? Is it small-scale like a city or large-scale like a region/country/continent? How is the climate there? What kind of Pokémon can you expect to find?
Making up your own locations can be a lot of work, but they can also really pay off. With no restrictions other than your own, you can do a lot with original locations.
I agree with you on this. There are indeed questions that must be asked when doing any sort of worldbuilding.

I need a few tips on how to have certain characters that cannot speak emote in ways that would reflect what they're "saying" to the characters/audience. The characters in question are the familiars that will be in my new series, Dawn of Courage. Familiars are highly intelligent magical creatures, thus while they cannot speak the language of humans and such, they can understand it (in akin to what was said in the Detective Pikachu movie about the relation between humans and Pokemon). Now, since familiars can't speak yet have distinct personalities I want some tips on how to make them emote in way that'll show it better. I've been generally taking tips from one of the most famous media characters who cannot speak yet can speak volumes with just his brow alone: Gromit from Wallace & Gromit, but I could use a few more ideas on how to expand on that.

For example, the newly introduced Gorgon Viper, Elora, is generally pleasant and friendly, which is a stark contrast to her species normally, but, as will be displayed in the next chapter, she shares Nova's dry sense of humor (albeit in a silent snarker sort of way), generally likes what he likes (such as Nina) and doesn't like what he doesn't (such as Dominic), and will show her species true aggressive and dangerous nature when needed/enraged, best shown around Undead and especially Zombie Drakes, as she's the natural enemy to them. I want to find a way to make her and other familiars, such as Sir Reginald's Thunderclap Stallion, emote better so their various personalities and emotions can be shown clearly. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes up this question.

I need a few tips on how to have certain characters that cannot speak emote in ways that would reflect what they're "saying" to the characters/audience. The characters in question are the familiars that will be in my new series, Dawn of Courage. Familiars are highly intelligent magical creatures, thus while they cannot speak the language of humans and such, they can understand it (in akin to what was said in the Detective Pikachu movie about the relation between humans and Pokemon). Now, since familiars can't speak yet have distinct personalities I want some tips on how to make them emote in way that'll show it better. I've been generally taking tips from one of the most famous media characters who cannot speak yet can speak volumes with just his brow alone: Gromit from Wallace & Gromit, but I could use a few more ideas on how to expand on that.

For example, the newly introduced Gorgon Viper, Elora, is generally pleasant and friendly, which is a stark contrast to her species normally, but, as will be displayed in the next chapter, she shares Nova's dry sense of humor (albeit in a silent snarker sort of way), generally likes what he likes (such as Nina) and doesn't like what he doesn't (such as Dominic), and will show her species true aggressive and dangerous nature when needed/enraged, best shown around Undead and especially Zombie Drakes, as she's the natural enemy to them. I want to find a way to make her and other familiars, such as Sir Reginald's Thunderclap Stallion, emote better so their various personalities and emotions can be shown clearly. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes up this question.
For this specific case, body language will be your best friend. A cheery and easily excited Familir might fly (?) and zip around. Easily angered Familiars might bite or hit at things. (In my mind, I’m imagining familiars as small, floating, brightly colored chibi guys like Sushi Pack or something, which is probably off from what you’ve written, but you get the idea.)

For this specific case, body language will be your best friend. A cheery and easily excited Familir might fly (?) and zip around. Easily angered Familiars might bite or hit at things. (In my mind, I’m imagining familiars as small, floating, brightly colored chibi guys like Sushi Pack or something, which is probably off from what you’ve written, but you get the idea.)

Yeah, that does sound right, although the familiars in my series vary in size depending on the species (Gorgon Vipers, for example, are huge, being at least 10 meters long, if not longer, and about as wide as the average person, while something like Stealth Falcons are about as big as red-tailed hawks yet just small enough to perch on a person's arm comfortably, while a Skitter Mouse is about the size of a regular mouse). I should've also mentioned that familiars don't have pupils, with their eyes being purely monochromatic (think Rachnera's eyes from Monster Musume), including Insect-type ones, so that might make body language that involves eyes (such as rolling them) impossible, or at least difficult. So I could use a few more examples that would help further flesh out their personalities while taking their sizes and biology into account. Thanks for what you've given me so far, as that is a start.

Yeah, that does sound right, although the familiars in my series vary in size depending on the species (Gorgon Vipers, for example, are huge, being at least 10 meters long, if not longer, and about as wide as the average person, while something like Stealth Falcons are about as big as red-tailed hawks yet just small enough to perch on a person's arm comfortably, while a Skitter Mouse is about the size of a regular mouse). I should've also mentioned that familiars don't have pupils, with their eyes being purely monochromatic (think Rachnera's eyes from Monster Musume), including Insect-type ones, so that might make body language that involves eyes (such as rolling them) impossible, or at least difficult. So I could use a few more examples that would help further flesh out their personalities while taking their sizes and biology into account. Thanks for what you've given me so far, as that is a start.
Ohhhhhh so they’re animal-like. Got it.
Wel, different animals have different ways of expressing emotions, so it’s going to vary with the species. This article might be a good start:

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom