• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

So, I’m dabbling with some ideas for my ficcy, and I’d like some ideas for my characters.

Basically, I want to introduce the Swords of Justice at the beginning of the prologue and I’d like them all to have some unique way in which they speak. This is what I’ve gotten so far:

- Keldeo: Juvenile and Americanized speech pattern, which a mildly rebellious attitude (“What are you gonna do now?” “C’mon! Gimme a break!”).

- Terrakion: Slang-like pattern, which sounds like he has some thick accent (“Ya ain’t gunna slack of’ while I’m ‘round, kiddo!”).

And… that’s it. I’m uncertain about Virizion and Cobalion. I would like Virizion to have a more French tone, maybe with some French phrases thrown here and there (like « mon chérie »), while I’d like Cobalion to have a more formal and refined tone. The only issue is that I don’t know well how to put them on paper, so to speak, so I’d appreciate if someone could give me some tip of how to write them like this.

Thanks in advance. ^^

Mixing English and French in the same sentence is fine:

"Why, I don't know what you mean, mon amour," said Virizion.

The trick is to not really use more than 2-4 words in French, methinks, or really obscure phrases. I think most people would be able to pick up that "mon amour" = "my love". But just in case, I'd put a list of translations at the end of a chapter for people to reference.

For formal... you could get rid of contractions and/or use fancier vocabulary, but that can easily come off as pretentious as well, and you don't want it to get to the point where people have to look up the dictionary every 5 seconds.

"I do not know what you mean, comrade," said Cobalion.

Feel free to post excerpts from your fic in our Samples Thread and ask for feedback on the dialogue. :3

I have a small question:

How do I keep things platonic between my male and female characters while still maintaining realism and strength? I usually just ignore the subject and keep my characters interactions very innocuous, but I have the suspicion that it's coming off as rough. It's not entirely realistic for a woman and a man to undergo adventures together, traumatic experiences and an assortment of other events and not have something spur from it. Unless we're talking 'higher plane' stuff, which I try and enforce. Sort of like having a fellow spirit in someone, and they feel that to muddy it with romance would be to undermine the structure of the peace.

Not really too keen on explaining another character's indifference to the obvious attraction of the other by changing their sexuality or making it that they stepped on a landmine, if you get what I mean lmao.

I am writing a chapter of a story that takes place partially on the grounds of a posh boarding school. Having never been to one, I was wondering if anyone here who had been to one (posh/rich or not) could explain the general layout of their school? I'm mostly just wondering if the accommodation is housed in separate buildings or if these types of schools are just massive, singular buildings. I'm trying to work this out through YouTube tours of British schools but it's not working out that well XD

Just don't write any romantic content. Sometimes people don't fall for eachother and it's as simple as that. They're not eachother's type, or there's not that kind of spark. The idea that these characters would inevitably hook up is a cultural assumption fueled by tropey media and it doesn't reflect real life. I note that you use the word "muddy" to describe the presence of a romantic relationship. That suggests you have a negative attitude towards the idea. While I don't empathise with this perspective, consider giving one or both characters the same attitude.

@AceTrainer14 I went to one of those fucking places, so I'm happy to answer any and all questions.

Because the campus was composed of many older buildings, the accommodation and schooling rooms were all separate and spread out. We had two linked central 'quads' (basically a tarmac square) where cars could park, each surrounded on three sides by semi-detached buildings, some for schooling, some for offices, and some for accommodation. Even pupils in the same house might not be accommodated in the same structure. On the fourth side there was a wall, a drop, and grassy terrain down a hill until you reached several more spread-out buildings (one gym, one set of classrooms, one cadet force armoury) and the sports courts and sports fields. There were also paths away from the quads leading to other accommodation and classrooms both up and down the valley hillside. At the near end of the quads was a chapel, and on the far end was a large dining hall. One of the buildings past the chapel was recently reconstructed into a glass and steel complex of modern classrooms, quite different to the brick and mortar structures elsewhere.

There are a lot of old (and possibly still running) boarding schools in the area of Connecticut/New York area I live in....

There is a lot of similarity to the older college layout, and also the old asylum build style.

...I don't know if I find it personally funny or disturbing.

Just don't write any romantic content. Sometimes people don't fall for eachother and it's as simple as that. They're not eachother's type, or there's not that kind of spark. The idea that these characters would inevitably hook up is a cultural assumption fueled by tropey media and it doesn't reflect real life. I note that you use the word "muddy" to describe the presence of a romantic relationship. That suggests you have a negative attitude towards the idea. While I don't empathise with this perspective, consider giving one or both characters the same attitude.

I guess my point, one I hardly even admit to myself, is... it's not an idea that entirely repels me. So I always try and leave that door open, but by leaving that damn door open it leaves question marks scattered all over the place. I suppose that I'm reluctant to incorporate it because:
1. I like friendships. To me, they always seem far more special.
2. I'm sort of always under the threat of someone reading my work. As in family, and so I always avoid embarrassing subjects. This is stupid, I know, and I'm not fearing criticism so much as that familial look of 'lol'. I'm cringing just thinking about it.
3. My pacing is usually pretty fast in terms of bonds, and I'd hate to just have the whole journey to that certain point to be rushed.

So yes. My problem is a desire to explore that area at least in a subtle, delicate, emotional way, but also a reluctance. The result is a bit jagged. I'm not really sure what to do, and now my work is about to be reviewed by an actual writer. I don't want to enter 'romantic' content if I'm not ready, and yet how can I be ready if I never try? It's a commitment, really, and I don't want to be that twat who does it lightly.

Another question, then...

How shall I explore it? I don't want to follow the same old status quo. 'oh they're hot and smart' or 'i hate them but i love them' and all that junk. Well, it's not junk, but I need something new. I'm all about the different types of relationships.

I sort of like the idea of an ageless character meeting a child who grows into a teenager and then eventually a young woman, and then suddenly a light bulb flashes on. Although the small problem with that is growing up with someone. I'm a bit confused on this angle due to hardly knowing anyone in real life:

So you grow up together, emotionally and physically... would the childhood platonic residue still linger, or would hormones and preferences dictate the final outcome?

t's not entirely realistic for a woman and a man to undergo adventures together, traumatic experiences and an assortment of other events and not have something spur from it.

I think, rather, that it is realistic but invokes the old Reality is Unrealistic trope. Readers will often assume that a close friendship is a precursor to romance - and with the prevalence of slash in fanfiction you can't even sink a ship with gender or sexuality. Bottom line is that if a fan wants to ship characters badly enough, there's nothing the author can do to stop that.

The line between friendship and romance in real life is blurry and often defiant of logic anyway. What makes this best friend a romantic partner and that one not at all? Often the answers pretty much boil down to "because".

None of that is of much practical value, I admit. It's tough to give firm answers on this, because for everyone you could give there'd be another valid one to contradict it

@Revenge of the Boyega

I note that your first post was about how to avoid writing a romance, and now you're asking about how to write the romance you were avoiding. I understand that sometimes in receiving an answer you realise what you really wanted to do in the first place. I suggest flipping coins to make decisions and paying close attention to what result you find yourself hoping for. This is a method by which you can discern between your desires and your inhibitions. In this case, writing romance is a desire, inhibited by numerous concerns - I would advocate overcoming those inhibitions. Now for the content of your post:

The 'question marks' are fine. You needn't slam the door or go through it if you'd prefer to leave it open. As for those bullets:
  1. Let's be real. Friendships aren't necessarily more special. Perhaps you've had more meaningful and robust friendships than relationships, perhaps you don't value romance, perhaps you feel that romantic relationships are chemical and that the interpersonal bond of a true friendship is somehow more sacred. This is a different experience for every human being.
  2. Are your family actually likely to read your fanfiction? If they had knowledge of your account, then surely they'd be able to see your message here about this topic? Regardless, if you don't want your family to look at you differently because you've written about the kind of relationship that our societies are obsessed with and try to engage in if at all possible then you do that. Otherwise, do it. Nobody can advise you on your own self-induced cringes, except to tell you that to grow as a creative you must overcome embarrassment.
  3. So do it differently this time? It's your writing, you make the choices about how fast the characters progress in their relationship. Hell, you could even have them acknowledge that they might develop a relationship but that now's not the time.
I believe that you never start out ready to write. You must always first fail in order to succeed with creative work. Sometimes many, many times. If you want to write romance, you must first take the risk of writing it badly, and accept that outcome.

Regarding "oh they're hot" and "hate-love" these are not exactly status quo in my experience. Good media has more interesting relationships. It sounds as if you've not actually read/watched very many good models for interesting/worthwhile relationships in fiction if you feel this way. Regardless, you have an opportunity to base this relationship, should you choose to write it, on whatever criteria you prefer. The premise behind a relationship is more or less enjoying one another's company coupled with mutual attraction/admiration. What do the characters want out of a life companion? Does the other person provide that? Do they make eachother laugh? Excite eachother? Calm eachother? They should be compatible personalities rather than just really chemical, judging from your tone. Think carefully about that.

Your ageless character x someone they knew from childhood concept is troubling to me. It's not that it's implausible, it's that I've always found that kind of matchup to rub me the wrong way and I believe there's an onus on the older character not to date someone whose childhood they influenced. It's already unsettling enough to me when centuries-old beings are interested in young humans with nothing like their life experience and maturity. Of course, you can write whatever you please and execution is everything over concept, I'm just flagging this up for consideration.

Thanks for the feedback @unrepentantAuthor and @KrspaceT. This kind of confirms my understanding that the central buildings of these types of schools do tend to be U-shaped or have some kind of u-shaped configuration going on. As this school is on its own island, I'm kind of envisioning a building like that in the middle of the island, with a court yard in the centre of that, and then a sports/battlefield at one end, a separate block at the other, and then extra buildings and facilities along the edges separate from that building. Does that sound accurate-ish enough?

@AceTrainer14 You might find this useful, but yes, your plan sounds just fine.

Attachments

• schoolmap.png
    schoolmap.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
@Revenge of the Boyega

I note that your first post was about how to avoid writing a romance, and now you're asking about how to write the romance you were avoiding. I understand that sometimes in receiving an answer you realise what you really wanted to do in the first place. I suggest flipping coins to make decisions and paying close attention to what result you find yourself hoping for. This is a method by which you can discern between your desires and your inhibitions. In this case, writing romance is a desire, inhibited by numerous concerns - I would advocate overcoming those inhibitions. Now for the content of your post:

The 'question marks' are fine. You needn't slam the door or go through it if you'd prefer to leave it open. As for those bullets:
  1. Let's be real. Friendships aren't necessarily more special. Perhaps you've had more meaningful and robust friendships than relationships, perhaps you don't value romance, perhaps you feel that romantic relationships are chemical and that the interpersonal bond of a true friendship is somehow more sacred. This is a different experience for every human being.
  2. Are your family actually likely to read your fanfiction? If they had knowledge of your account, then surely they'd be able to see your message here about this topic? Regardless, if you don't want your family to look at you differently because you've written about the kind of relationship that our societies are obsessed with and try to engage in if at all possible then you do that. Otherwise, do it. Nobody can advise you on your own self-induced cringes, except to tell you that to grow as a creative you must overcome embarrassment.
  3. So do it differently this time? It's your writing, you make the choices about how fast the characters progress in their relationship. Hell, you could even have them acknowledge that they might develop a relationship but that now's not the time.
I believe that you never start out ready to write. You must always first fail in order to succeed with creative work. Sometimes many, many times. If you want to write romance, you must first take the risk of writing it badly, and accept that outcome.

Regarding "oh they're hot" and "hate-love" these are not exactly status quo in my experience. Good media has more interesting relationships. It sounds as if you've not actually read/watched very many good models for interesting/worthwhile relationships in fiction if you feel this way. Regardless, you have an opportunity to base this relationship, should you choose to write it, on whatever criteria you prefer. The premise behind a relationship is more or less enjoying one another's company coupled with mutual attraction/admiration. What do the characters want out of a life companion? Does the other person provide that? Do they make eachother laugh? Excite eachother? Calm eachother? They should be compatible personalities rather than just really chemical, judging from your tone. Think carefully about that.

Your ageless character x someone they knew from childhood concept is troubling to me. It's not that it's implausible, it's that I've always found that kind of matchup to rub me the wrong way and I believe there's an onus on the older character not to date someone whose childhood they influenced. It's already unsettling enough to me when centuries-old beings are interested in young humans with nothing like their life experience and maturity. Of course, you can write whatever you please and execution is everything over concept, I'm just flagging this up for consideration.

Yeah, I'm chronically indecisive and struggle with self-articulation. Probably in the wrong profession, but I'm addicted.

Oh, I fully accept that romances can be on equal and greater terms than friendships - I just happen to find the latter to be a very wonderful subject. Too much manga, probably. One Piece and Fairy Tail can turn you into a real psycho when it comes to pals, especially in the absence of them...

They display an interest in what I do - they don't stalk my life lmao. But embarrassment is a true inhibitor for me. I sometimes feel reluctant to explore certain subjects, but that'll pass, I'm sure.

I'm very fanatical about execution over actual substance, and I basically like the ageless thing because the idea of gradual/sudden appeal interests me. And I do acknowledge that there is a bit of creepiness about it, but skirting weirdness can be fun.

And thanks, guys. I know it was a bit of a mish-mash question and whatever, but I feel like I have a bit more confidence now. Just so as long as there is no kissing on the agenda omghghghghjfhghfjgh

What's your issue with kissing? Kissing is good, friend.

You're welcome for the advice and suggestions, of course!

It's true. To grow, you gotta push your boundaries.

One of my former great weaknesses as a writer, which also generally escaped criticism by way of its nature, was my tendency to write a relatively narrow range of character personalities, interactions and narratives.

Playing pen-and-paper RPGs as characters well outside my normal range is the single biggest contributing factor to my growth and advancement in this specific subject, and I recommend it for fun and for authorship training!

So, I just looked at the words "Different Eyes" and was like "what the fuck. this is a shit name. what was i thinking."
It's an unpleasant experience, reminds me of several years back when I hated everything I wrote. Ugh.
Anyway, my 'simple question' is, "is it worth thinking about a name change for my fic before long?"

eh, ive never given fic names that much weight. sure, its length, phrasing and word choices will affect what outsiders will imagine it's like, but when it comes to being stuck with like 3 synonyms for a verb in the title, it ultimately doesn't matter. it somewhat might for an actual commercial book, but this is just fanfic in the end.

i'm a fan of concise, memorable titles, and "different eyes" ticks both boxes.

Thanks, Canis.

I spent like ten minutes mining my brain and I figured out why I picked Different Eyes in the first place. Morphed pokémon have their vision literally and figuratively altered by the hybridisation process: they now have trichromatic vision, and can never return to their previous perception; they now have human consciousness processing everything they think about, and can never turn it off again. The original fic was largely going to be about perception and changes in perspective, and the new fic is more about communication and conflicting perspectives, but it still works! Question closed.

Hello fellow members! I am planning on doing a crossover of Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts. Sora gets pulled into the world of Pokemon, specifically, the world of Heartgold. How should I do the various game mechanics? Should I just explain about them when they are relevant to the story? What would be the best way to do this story? What should I be careful of?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom