• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

The better/smarter Ash thing has that one variant where he simply doesn't reset between regions (DP was the first time I specifically recall people thinking he lost skill between arcs though it's reputation skyrocket later--it wasn't nearly as well liked during it's run). Those I think are mostly just wanting to keep better continuity between series' in the way Kanto to Johto did.
The issue is that a non-resetting Ash blows through early Gyms with his fully evolved powerhouses, eats Trip for lunch, probably flattens Paul at Lake Acuity (comparing their respective battles with Brandon) and only has trouble at the League or when he runs into E4/Champions.
Which is sort of a problem with the show itself--that the protagonist has to keep losing his skill and dumping his Pokémon up to seemingly replacing his starter with a new one of the same species (;)) so they can repeat the same format.

@Greninjaman In a fanfic called Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Silver Resitance, Mystery Dungeons are said to be distortions of space and time, so maybe you could go with something like that?

@Greninjaman In a fanfic called Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Silver Resitance, Mystery Dungeons are said to be distortions of space and time, so maybe you could go with something like that?
That sounds like it would be a bit complicated...
I'm just going to have the dungeons be normal locations in the world.

Kind of a big question that, but a while ago I compiled a list of what I think are good generic tips to bear in mind.

Additional to that I think I'd add: don't worry too much about trying to stand out, or chase a trend. Often stories gain a following because they do a common genre or plot type especially well. And as far as chasing trends is concerned, you'll probably always be behind the curve anyway.

Also, be prepared to improve. Nobody just starts off being an ace writer, and anyone who tries to tell you they have that kind of natural ability is a liar. I tend to think that taking on board comments and criticism, and being prepared to edit or redraft, is better practice than repeatedly abandoning stories and starting again.

The better/smarter Ash thing has that one variant where he simply doesn't reset between regions (DP was the first time I specifically recall people thinking he lost skill between arcs though it's reputation skyrocket later--it wasn't nearly as well liked during it's run). Those I think are mostly just wanting to keep better continuity between series' in the way Kanto to Johto did.
The issue is that a non-resetting Ash blows through early Gyms with his fully evolved powerhouses, eats Trip for lunch, probably flattens Paul at Lake Acuity (comparing their respective battles with Brandon) and only has trouble at the League or when he runs into E4/Champions.
Which is sort of a problem with the show itself--that the protagonist has to keep losing his skill and dumping his Pokémon up to seemingly replacing his starter with a new one of the same species (;)) so they can repeat the same format.

I do have my own planned solution for that myself.

When I have Reset! Ash go to Johto (and future regions) he'll basically have two sets of Pokemon.

Previous mons from Kanto and the Orange Islands, and the Johto Mons.

(Note, this includes mons from Gens 5 and later who show up earlier and OC mons)

He'll fight Gym Leaders with the Johto mons to ensure their experience and growth, while using the previous mons for issues like Paul, Red, and other such things.

(In my Fic Red is around and one of Ash's rivals. He's also his half brother, one of hundreds of half brothers and sisters).

My thinking is that you'll need to combine the solid support of experience and the new potential of the fresh catches to make the best scenario.

Ash's continual "square one" experiences as generations roll over is a necessity for the franchise's rigid progression, but it irritates longtime viewers. I understand this.

The solution is not to continually creep Ash's power levels up, however.

The solution is a new protagonist.

I really wish that we'd had a new protagonist with each generation, honestly.

Ash's continual "square one" experiences as generations roll over is a necessity for the franchise's rigid progression, but it irritates longtime viewers. I understand this.

The solution is not to continually creep Ash's power levels up, however.

The solution is a new protagonist.

I really wish that we'd had a new protagonist with each generation, honestly.

I'd just be fine with more consistent use of May/Dawn esc characters who can fill in the 'square one' role of new fan filling in.

Couple questions about a project I'm gonna start soon.

1: Danganronpa. What rating would a story about that be?
2: Any tips on how to write a fanfiction that revolves around 16 characters, and violence?
3: How to balance out character development so not everyone in a story is left behind?

Couple questions about a project I'm gonna start soon.

1: Danganronpa. What rating would a story about that be?
2: Any tips on how to write a fanfiction that revolves around 16 characters, and violence?
3: How to balance out character development so not everyone in a story is left behind?
(1) Okay, I'm not even into DR and I know the minimum rating for anything DR-related has got to be a T. There's killing involved.
(2) Set a pace and stick to it, and do not egregiously lay on the violence because that gets boring fast. Be mindful of the rating you've elected to use in this regard. I recommend reading Battle Royale--the original Hunger Games/Danganronpa masterwork--if you want an example of how to best handle that sort of scenario in written form.
(3) Inject bits of information into characters' actions such as quirks and habits. Gradually introduce details, don't try to fill up space with monologues at every possible opportunity.

(1) Okay, I'm not even into DR and I know the minimum rating for anything DR-related has got to be a T. There's killing involved.
(2) Set a pace and stick to it, and do not egregiously lay on the violence because that gets boring fast. Be mindful of the rating you've elected to use in this regard. I recommend reading Battle Royale--the original Hunger Games/Danganronpa masterwork--if you want an example of how to best handle that sort of scenario in written form.
(3) Inject bits of information into characters' actions such as quirks and habits. Gradually introduce details, don't try to fill up space with monologues at every possible opportunity.

Ahh, thanks. Number one had me because I didn't know whether to make myself rate it Mature or Teen. Since violence will be the only major factor (with executions possibly being V3 bad).

Ahh, thanks. Number one had me because I didn't know whether to make myself rate it Mature or Teen. Since violence will be the only major factor (with executions possibly being V3 bad).
If you think DR killings are horrific, I dare you to read the Battle Royale manga. (Not really.) Ample gore and mature sexual themes abound, worthy of an "Explicit" at worst. (My folks made the mistake of gifting the first few volumes to me when I was the protagonists' age. I somehow didn't have nightmares.)

I'd also tag on an answer to #3 - don't try to treat all the characters equally. Sixteen characters is a lot to juggle, and realistically you're not going to be able to give them all the same time in the spotlight without also killing off the pacing. You're going to be better off deciding which characters are going to be supporting cast (The majority of them, probably), with lesser focus than a core of a few main characters

I am 99.9% that the answer to my question is no, I just would like to be clear about this.
When a writer has other races in addition to humans (elves, dwarves ect) in their story, could they give them normal names (like, a Dwarf named Bob)?

@Greninjaman Why not? It's your story. You can do as you like. As I keep saying when you ask questions along these lines, there is no Fiction Police with weird unwritten rules who will come along and arrest you for naming a Dwarf Bob instead of Garanthrum.

@Greninjaman Why not? It's your story. You can do as you like. As I keep saying when you ask questions along these lines, there is no Fiction Police with weird unwritten rules who will come along and arrest you for naming a Dwarf Bob instead of Garanthrum.
Right, thanks. It's just everytime I see a character that is not a human in a book/movie/show, 9 times out of 10 he/she will have a weird name like, Gafnafor or something.

Last edited:
I've got me a question to ask y'all. I've got these two characters who have been friends for a long while but there's an issue there. There's a 5 year age gap between the two of them and I'm not sure how to make that work. So... uh... I could use some help with that, please."

Couldn't really think of the word/phrase for describing design on apparel that's specific to or representative of a place. I keep thinking "regional" but it doesn't feel 100% right to me, or is it right and I'm thinking too hard on this? Thanks ahead of time.
The protag and her squad mate are at a souvenir store in Izuhara, Tsushima Island, so the apparel has designs specific to/representative of Tsushima Island.
tokusan_10.jpg

(The low-hanging shirt/thingy has a map thingy of Tsushima Island while the black shirt a couple shirts over literally says "TSUSHIMA" in block letters. I'm not sure which of the other shirts might represent or be specific to Tsushima island, since the photo isn't very large, but I think the two that I pointed out are decent-enough examples of what I'm talking about.)

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom