• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

"an arrangement of images, materials, pieces of text, etc. intended to evoke or project a particular style or concept." -Oxford Languages
So it's basically a collage? I mean, if you want to make a collage for your story then more power to you. Are you planning on including it with the fic?

So it's basically a collage? I mean, if you want to make a collage for your story then more power to you. Are you planning on including it with the fic?
It's probably going to be more for a worldbuilding/writing help thing, probably not included with the main fic.

Can I change the name of a story?
I'm fairly certain you should be able to!
For one thing, you can edit your thread title anytime!
I believe the main consideration is that it may make it tricky for anyone who knew the work by the existing name to find it. Other than that, it's an advantage of digital media.

Also, if I want to post oneshots that aren't really related to one another, should I post them all in the same thread?
I am not staff! Nor established here. Still going to say.
My understanding is that either way is fine!

Simple thoughts from me:
- If you feel that there's going to be many many one-shots, that are short, and you don't want to inundate the fic space with how many there would be, grouping makes some sense.
- If it's several (rather than many) one-shots, or won't be posted continuously and close in time to each other, and the works are all standalone, it makes sense to post them separately.

Are there ways to motivate oneself to write?

Edit: Sorry if this is a question if I asked before.
Well... sort of. You can get yourself excited to write by thinking about the story or making music playlists for inspiration or something, but it can be hard to motivate yourself to actually write. If I were you, I wouldn't force it. That only makes things worse. For me, motivation changes from day to day. If I happen to not have motivation, I just take a break and come back when I have motivation.
I don't know how well that answers your question, but hopefully it helps at least a little.

Are there ways to motivate oneself to write?

Edit: Sorry if this is a question if I asked before.

If you have watched something and you wanted to try a few ideas with a similar concept, write them down.

If you came up with scenes and character interactions randomly, write them down.

Anything specific that enters your head that would seem neat in your story, write them down.

Some people can imagine their stories as "movies" or a "TV series." Something to consider if you need a way to move your story forward. Sometimes, coming up with ideas on the spot can help.

If you want to dedicate more time to writing, you'll need to cut down on distractions whenever possible. Potentially anything that can be disruptive. Of course, real-life stuff like a family, friends, a job or school are most likely things you can't do without. I'm very much a gamer, so I had to cut down on gaming. For anime fans, if watching anime is distracting, might want to turn it off while you write. If TV distracts you, then turn it off.

If you tried all those things and they still don't help, then there's a chance that your current story doesn't interest you enough to actually write it. Being passionate about your story can go a long way. If you're not passionate, then you're only going to be invested in your story for just whenever you feel like it. And that may not be what you're hoping for.

Edit: One more thing, which is something I've been finding extremely helpful lately. If you're like me and have TERRIBLE handwriting, trying to transfer my notes onto a word processor can be an absolute PAIN. It can be time-consuming and annoying. So I pull up Google Docs onto my phone to save myself the trouble. I don't have to decipher chicken scratches and I won't have to dedicate extra time to type on a computer. So the next time I use my computer, I can just sign onto my Google account and go to Drive, and my ideas will be all there.

Last edited:
What to do if a story is difficult to write because of emotional scenes?
Really depends on context. Are you asking on how to convey the correct emotion in such scenes? It depends on your choice of words in the descriptions, actions and dialogue (if any). For example, using "whimsical" words in a scene where someone is supposed to be angry (and the overall tone of the scene is meant to be serious) can weaken the impact of the scene.

Also, avoid "telliing" emotions whenever you can. SHOW them. What that means is to not take the easy way out and just say, "Martha was sad." That is boring. It means be more specific and descriptive, so that we can tell from the language that she's sad:

Martha sat on the chair alone, with a deep frown. She leaned down to rest her forehead against her hands.

If this scene is dialogue, then it might help to just start a temporary draft for the dialogue. Just write down two (or more) characters talking to each other; worry about the descriptions and dialogue tags later. It's sort of like writing character dialogue for a screenplay. Then you can adapt this dialogue exchange into an actual story later.

If a story is difficult to write for ANY reason, you might want to try brainstorming to see if you can plan some scenes ahead. Charging ahead without a plan can make things more difficult.

Really depends on context. Are you asking on how to convey the correct emotion in such scenes? It depends on your choice of words in the descriptions, actions and dialogue (if any). For example, using "whimsical" words in a scene where someone is supposed to be angry (and the overall tone of the scene is meant to be serious) can weaken the impact of the scene.

Also, avoid "telliing" emotions whenever you can. SHOW them. What that means is to not take the easy way out and just say, "Martha was sad." That is boring. It means be more specific and descriptive, so that we can tell from the language that she's sad:

Martha sat on the chair alone, with a deep frown. She leaned down to rest her forehead against her hands.

If this scene is dialogue, then it might help to just start a temporary draft for the dialogue. Just write down two (or more) characters talking to each other; worry about the descriptions and dialogue tags later. It's sort of like writing character dialogue for a screenplay. Then you can adapt this dialogue exchange into an actual story later.

If a story is difficult to write for ANY reason, you might want to try brainstorming to see if you can plan some scenes ahead. Charging ahead without a plan can make things more difficult.
It is what happens in the story that is difficult to write. A violent death.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom