• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions, Simple (Or Not) Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to start playing again out of boredom, but i've always like mass trained on wild pokemon, and I don't want to. Will I do fine in the game if I skip most wild pokemon? Thanks, answers appreciated :)

I wanted to start playing again out of boredom, but i've always like mass trained on wild pokemon, and I don't want to. Will I do fine in the game if I skip most wild pokemon? Thanks, answers appreciated :)

Um, yeah. Most of us (okay, except me) run away from the hordes of Zubat, Rattata, and Tentacool.

Yes but remember to look up the Gym Leader and Elite 4 Pokemon and catch, and raise certain Pokemon to defeat them, as well as your rival, as their the most important players to beat in all Pokemon games.

Yes but remember to look up the Gym Leader and Elite 4 Pokemon and catch, and raise certain Pokemon to defeat them, as well as your rival, as their the most important players to beat in all Pokemon games.

Yeah I know that. I normally pick up a Machamp, because he dominates almost everything :)

Don't double post. You can edit your previous post to include your double post.

What are EV's and how do they work. The explanation on Bulbapedia was too complicated. Ditto for IV's

IVs are values given to a stat that ranges from 0 to 31. They cannot be viewed normally, cannot be changed, and are randomly generated for a pokemon you hatch, catch, or are given to. Generally, the higher the IV, the better the pokemon is in that stat. For example, my Scizor normally has an attack stat of 130 at level 50, but with a high attack IV, it's 194.

What are EV's and how do they work. The explanation on Bulbapedia was too complicated. Ditto for IV's

EVs are hidden values in the game that raise your Pokémon's stats. A Pokémon can have a total of 510 EVs max. In each stat, the max is 255. To gain EVs, you can battle wild Pokémon (who each yield certain amounts of EVs) and use vitamins like Carbos (which yield 10 EVs in that stat). There are also items that increase the number of EVs you get from a Pokémon (such as Macho Brace and Power Anklet). For every 4 EVs in a stat, that stat will increase by 1 stat point at level 100. If a Pokémon has 255 EVs in a particular stat, at level 100, that stat will be 63 points higher than the same species Pokémon with no EVs in that stat.

IVs are a bit complicated. They are also hidden values in the game, rangeing from 0-31 for each stat. These cannot be changed. They are generated when tthe Pokémon is encountered/egg is received. A Pokémon with an IV of 31 in a particular stat will have 31 more stat points at level 100 than the same Pokémon with an IV of 0. IVs are also used to generate Hidden Power's type and Base Power.

I once caught a Zapdos with a +speed nature in FireRed, which had a stat of 118 in speed. I checked its IVs later and found out it was impossible. Is something wrong with my game?

IV calculators are not always perfect. Which calculator did you use?

Last edited:
According to CardsOfTheHeart's calculator, a Lv50 Zapdos with 0 EVs in Speed, 6/7 IVs in Speed and a +Speed nature will have a speed stat of 118. Same with Veekun. OmegaDonut's IV chart also gives the same results.

There might have been an problem with how you 'found out' your Zapdos's IVs. Unless you're saying that you found out the IVs through the Veekun calculator and not through an AR code, which in that case, is not impossible.

Last edited:
Can an item be found through pickup only after a trainer battle, or can I just battle wild pokemon until my Linoone picks something up ad nauseum?

Does a Numel with the Oblivious ability become a Camerupt with Solid Rock or Magma Armor?

Will the platinum update for the Pokemon Ranch ever come to the U.S. and do your Pokemon level up everyday in the ranch (Read this somewhere not sure if true though)?

Will the platinum update for the Pokemon Ranch ever come to the U.S.?

Most likely not, at least in this time right now. There have no announcements about it except that the Pokemon.com mailbag did say that there probably wasn't going to be a release of the upgrade.

Does anyone know of a wonder mail generator for explorers of sky? I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to change the password setup, but finding one would be a great help.

Edit: also, will the x-ray and/or goggle specs reveal (or at least show on the map) the secret bezaar stairs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom