• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Singing Pikachu distribution announced: "Can You Name All the Pokémon" promotion ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Singing Pikachu distribution announced: "Can You Name All the Pokémon" promotion

I don't battle online, I just imagine the situation through my mind to know how the battle goes based on their base stats and reccomended sets. There's also the chances of Sing to miss and the opponent to attack after getting confused by Teeter Dance, which I let that happen in my mind.
There are better sleeping moves, you wanted a more competitive Pikachu. There's one right there. Given the chance I would snatch that Pikachu. Yes, there's a chance for everything, but that Pikachu would be great for online battling either way. Putting them to sleep and Confusing them is better then being attacked.

Re: Singing Pikachu distribution announced: "Can You Name All the Pokémon" promotion

There are better sleeping moves, you wanted a more competitive Pikachu. There's one right there. Given the chance I would snatch that Pikachu. Yes, there's a chance for everything, but that Pikachu would be great for online battling either way. Putting them to sleep and Confusing them is better then being attacked.

A more competitive Pikachu would be its ability to know an ice move to pierce through not only ground types, but also Gliscor and the dragons.

I guess this is my favorite Pikachu so far. Great moves to keep it from getting hit since it has really low defenses. I remember finding a Pikachu that knew Surf in the global station and I thought it was hacked :p I guess I would think so too if I saw a Pikachu with this movepool and ability.

A more competitive Pikachu would be its ability to know an ice move to pierce through not only ground types, but also Gliscor and the dragons.

Huh? I thought we were talking about how you said that this Pikachu wouldn't help in "serious" battles? When that's not the case at all.

@~2NE1~
I wouldn't be surprised if she appeared in the show actually xD Yeah, Teeter Dance and Sing are great for Pokemon with thin defenses, plus Lightingying rod is great for power boosting too.

Except your idea of a more competitive Pikachu was one which knew Surf which was already shown to not be that good (so you're really eating your own words here), whereas this was technically given an edge by knowing Sing, and more importantly, Lightning Rod, allowing for more safe switch ins. There's also the fact that Static is useless since Pikachu won't survive if it.

I realize I hadn't battled in awhile, but Ghetsis, at least use more realistic scenarios. 'Gyarados somehow survives' an electric attack from a Light ball Pikachu? Why would Pikachu use Elec Ball unless you've been watching the anime too much given the small disparity between their speed (watching anime too much)? Second, there is no occasion in which a Pikachu will be switching in to a Gyarados, more likely that it is used to Revenge Kill on a Gyarados that had not yet used Dragon Dance, in which case, Gyarados switches to survive, the opponent expecting an Electric move has their Garchomp put to sleep with Sing. Third, no one in their right mind sends Gyarados out against Pikachu given its speed.

And that's ignoring the lower tiers Pikachu is allowed to battle in and Gyarados not.

It's almost as if you don't comprehend the idea of safe switch-ins, forcing switches because you trap them in a scenario where they can't do anything to Pikachu but electric moves that won't hit (via encore) allowing you to use Thunderwave (presumably a bred Pikachu) and cripple a second Pokemon. Or the fact that, double of Pikachu's SAtk attack, if we are given a light ball, is 436, something that most people cannot switch in on safely. So the question becomes, cripple with thunderwave or cripple by massive damage?

Yeah, the Sing + Teeter Dance isn't something I'd personally use if I was trolling with Pikachu, but Lightning Rod would at least allow for safe switch-ins and encore for forced switches, and 436 SAtk anything is going to hurt.

Last edited:

Huh? I thought we were talking about how you said that this Pikachu wouldn't help in "serious" battles? When that's not the case at all.

Pikachu's purpose is not to stall the enemy but to flat out attack with everything it's got before it's down by one hit. However, the top 6 threats stop it from being used for often, which is unfair due to its mascot title, which means it should be replaced by the #1 most used Pokemon (in pre-evolved form) until it improves with a wider movepool or an ice move.

Pikachu's purpose is not to stall the enemy but to flat out attack with everything it's got before it's down by one hit.

What do you mean by Pikachu's purpose? We can use Pikachu in any way or strategy we want. So whats the point of Thunder Wave then?

A female with the Hidden Ability? If I ever get ahold of one on those, I might be able to make a LightningRod + Agility set by breeding! I'll just have to wait for the Light Ball.

Pikachu's purpose is not to stall the enemy but to flat out attack with everything it's got before it's down by one hit. However, the top 6 threats stop it from being used for often, which is unfair due to its mascot title, which means it should be replaced by the #1 most used Pokemon (in pre-evolved form) until it improves with a wider movepool or an ice move.
I don't know, are you ignoring everything I've put up showing how Pikachu can be used (and how nearly all your scenarios are scenarios that wouldn't happen unless you were already losing and had no choice), and how this current Pikachu meets the criteria of a more competitive Pikachu by virtue of having a more useful ability?

Or the fact that Pikachu plays in lower tiers for most people's competitive standards?

Then there's also Rotation Battles which has a bit more predicting, so Pikachu may actually never take damage given that you play your cards right and are incredibly lucky.

What are you talking about? It's the mascot and that's that, and nothing's going to change that like it or not. Besides, this Pikachu is very useful because it has Sing and Teeter Dance, you said that it wouldn't be useful at all in "serious" battles. And in online game battling that Pikachu would be gold. Even better after a Light Ball or evolution. So, I really don't understand what you mean when you say it wouldn't be good.

What do you mean by Pikachu's purpose? We can use Pikachu in any way or strategy we want. So whats the point of Thunder Wave then?

With its given stat spread, each Pokemon is restricted to have one or two roles. According to Pikachu's stats, stalling is not its thing, but a revenge killer. Even with the light ball, it's still not fast enough to take care of most of the top 6 threats.

I just want Pikachu to be a higher tiered Pokemon to live up to its mascot title but can't due to the lack of an ice move that's not Hidden Power Ice.

With its given stat spread, each Pokemon is restricted to have one or two roles. According to Pikachu's stats, stalling is not its thing, but a revenge killer. Even with the light ball, it's still not fast enough to take care of most of the top 6 threats.

I just want Pikachu to be a higher tiered Pokemon to live up to its mascot title but can't due to the lack of an ice move that's not Hidden Power Ice.
Pikachu's in a lower tier, you're pitting it up against Gyarados. If you want to talk 'top six threats', talk about the top six threats in UU. While I haven't been checking, I doubt Gyarados is at all UU.

There's also the situation I placed in which Pikachu does not stall, but hits and runs, and sets up Thunderwave where possible.

Why bother responding, you haven't responded back to anything I've said, nor have you actually accepted that your premise for wanting a 'more competitive Pikachu' has been fulfilled by virtue of being given a more useful ability, as Surf did not make a 'more competitive Pikachu'

I don't know what you mean by "top 6 threat". But, that has nothing to do with it being the mascot of the entire Pokemon franchise, Pikachu is here to stay like it or not.

According to that move set, that female Pikachu is a annoyer and very useful. This Pikachu is very useful for competitive online battling which I do, and it can be a great Pokemon for annoying and defeating opponents.

If you gave this Pikachu Attract, Teeter Dance, and Sing. IT WOULD BE A FREAKING GOLD MINE!

Actually if you're going by stats revenge killing is not really its thing. Its Attack/Sp.Attack is not so great. Its the speed that is at large. If it went first it could use Sing putting the enemy to sleep and then go with Teeter Dance use an electric move and it would win. If it went purely on revenge killing it would end with Pikachu losing simply as stated above its Attack/Sp.Attack is not so great. The other Pokemon will survive and will land a hit on Pikachu.

Pikachu's in a lower tier, you're pitting it up against Gyarados. If you want to talk 'top six threats', talk about the top six threats in UU. While I haven't been checking, I doubt Gyarados is at all UU.

There's also the situation I placed in which Pikachu does not stall, but hits and runs, and sets up Thunderwave where possible.

Why bother responding, you haven't responded back to anything I've said.

Pikachu doesn't belong in the lower tiers, for it hinders its mascot title. I'm basing my situations on how it can handle in OU with Sing and Teeter Dance when dealing with the likes of Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Ferrothorn. By learning an ice and/or fire move can it then fill in its competitive standard for a Pokemon who learns the elemental punches/beams with a decent stat spread should automatically be used more often.

Actually if you're going by stats revenge killing is not really its thing. Its Attack/Sp.Attack is not so great. Its the speed that is at large. If it went first it could use Sing putting the enemy to sleep and then go with Teeter Dance use an electric move and it would win. If it went purely on revenge killing it would end with Pikachu losing simply as stated above its Attack/Sp.Attack is not so great. The other Pokemon will survive and will land a hit on Pikachu.

Not if it holds a light ball.

I don't know what you mean by "top 6 threat".

Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Gliscor, Latios, and Excadrill (formerly Garchomp)

I never like using annoyers/stallers for they take too long to beat their opponent.

Status has no place in determining a Pokemon's tier. Regigigas and other legendaries are NU/RU, so it's no surprise that Pikachu would be NU/RU. Besides, the electric mouse would get outsped by the vast majority of the OU and UU metagames, and it can't stand enemy priority at all.

Pikachu doesn't belong in the lower tiers, for it hinders its mascot title. I'm basing my situations on how it can handle in OU with Sing and Teeter Dance when dealing with the likes of Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Ferrothorn. By learning an ice and/or fire move can it then fill in its competitive standard for a Pokemon who learns the elemental punches/beams with a decent stat spread should automatically be used more often.

I think Pikachu can cover any Ground type with Grass Knot. I'm sure Ferrothorn or any Grass types for that matter will be hard to take down that's why its good to spam Sing :p but I see what you're trying to say. TBH Teeter Dance is not really that much of a great move for Pikachu in a sense that it needs more suitable moves that can cover up most of the type disadvantages it has to face if ever used.

I never like using annoyers/stallers for they take too long to beat their opponent.
Then why are you arguing this if you don't even like using annoyers which this Pikachu is? This Pikachu is competitive it looks pretty good for online battling. So, I honestly don't see why this is being argued?

Sing puts it to sleep, Teeter Dance confuses it, and Attract keeping it from attacking and then shocking the heck outta the opponent.

I think Pikachu can cover any Ground type with Grass Knot. I'm sure Ferrothorn or any Grass types for that matter will be hard to take down that's why its good to spam Sing :p but I see what you're trying to say. TBH Teeter Dance is not really that much of a great move for Pikachu in a sense that it needs more suitable moves that can cover up most of the type disadvantages it has to face if ever used.

Ahem, Gliscor will wall it unless it has an ice move that's not HP Ice. Also, it's got Focus Blast to beat Ferrothorn.

Then why are you arguing this if you don't even like using annoyers which this Pikachu is? This Pikachu is competitive it looks pretty good for online battling. So, I honestly don't see why this is being argued?

Sing puts it to sleep, Teeter Dance confuses it, and Attract keeping it from attacking and then shocking the heck outta the opponent.

Because I want an event Pikachu that's a complete sweeper that can beat anything in its path, making it OU worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom