• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Size Dependant Moves?

Ranger Jack Walker

Not a Power Ranger
Reaction score
We all know how moves like Low Kick and Grass Knot depend on the opponent's weight. What's your opinion on Game Freak adding new moves whose power depends on the opponents/user's size?

There is one attack which deals greater damage to the enemy if he has minimised himself. So it could be changed into depending on size instead. Perhaps Game Freak can make an entirelly new technique which deals greater damage to small enemies but also has lower accuracy against small enemies.

I was thinking of a move where the bigger the difference between your Pokemon and your opponents Pokemon's size, the greater the damage. If your opponent is bigger than you, you just hurt yourself.

I was thinking of a move where the bigger the difference between your Pokemon and your opponents Pokemon's size, the greater the damage. If your opponent is bigger than you, you just hurt yourself.

Something like: damage dealt = your_size - enemy_size
If it's negative you take the damage yourself

I personally think it's a genius idea from GameFreak, as it just adds to more ways to defeat your opponent.

Yes I like this idea a bit like Hi Jump Kick, but being based on size difference instead of accuracy.

Wouldn't that make weight specific moves strictly better though, because you never hurt yourself with them?

So, a worse Heat Crash/Heavy Slam? No thanks.

I'm not talking purely from a gameplay point of view. It adds variety. Although the user taking damage might be a bit too much.

Or how about this: Equal size, no damage dealt or taken.

Let's be honest here, a couple of Golurks using Heavy Slam would probably be about the same as a couple of guys doing a chest bump; all for show and no one's going to get seriously hurt. It's a thought.

Generally moves like this are just unreliable. Heat Crash is what this thread is making me think of in particular.

It would be nice if a move like Heat Crash were only dependent on the user's weight alone and no one else's. Because it's also dependent on the opponent's weight as well it will always be inferior to Flare Blitz.

The above is just an example, but you get the picture. I just don't like unreliable moves.

Big Drop (Normal) {??}
Deals damage based on the using pokemons size.
If the damage is less than the the opponents body size, may cause the opponent to flinch.

Okay guys so stick with me on this. You have an option.
"Big Drop" focuses on the pokemons overall size against another pokemon. If your pokemon is humongous (Wailord says Hi.) it deals massive damage.
However if your pokemon is much smaller than the opponents pokemon you can imagine a small pokemon being dropped at a high speed. You may not take much damage but it could cause your opponent to flinch since it's a small fast pokemon.

Wailord would cause a catastrophe, where Pikachu could be launched like a bullet.

Size-based moves sounds good on paper, but no one on the competitive side will ever use them, thus putting the moves to waste.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom