• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sky High: The My Hero Academia Precursor

LoudyKaizoku

Reaction score
This film has many similarities to MHA, and it is possible that its creator, Horikoshi might have even seen it

First, let's talk about Sky High. For those who are not aware as to what this movie is, it was a superhero comedy movie release by Disney on July 29, 2005 in the United States, and on February 25, 2006 in Japan. The plot summary is this (courtesy of Wikipedia): It tells the story of Will Stronghold, the son of two superheroes who is enrolled in an airborne high school for teenage superheroes, where his powers kick in; he must deal with a growing distance from his old friends, a threat from mysterious supervillain and get the girl of his dreams.

Already we can see this movie has a pretty similar plot to MHA. Our main protagonist, Will, has parents who are superheroes, but he himself does not have any powers at the beginning of the movie, although he eventually gets them. This is just like how Deku does not have any powers at first in MHA, but eventually gets them from All Might. Both Will and Deku also enroll at high schools for superheroes, although unlike UA, Sky High is an airborne high school. There is also a Bakugo-like rival named Warren, who eventually becomes one of Will's best friends. There is also an Uraraka-like character named Layla, Will's best friend since childhood who eventually becomes his girlfriend.

The main difference here is with the character of Royal Pain. She is a girl that every boy in the school has a crush on, Will included. However, she is more of a Toga than an Uraraka because she turns out to be evil.

But honestly, this film is eerily similar to MHA. And I wonder: Did Horikoshi ever see this movie? Or was it all just a big fat coincidence?

If you guys wanna watch the movie, it is on Disney+ right now. It is actually a pretty good movie, a rarity for family films of the 2000's.

Fun Fact: The actress who plays Royal Pain is Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who is better known for playing Ramona Flowers in the movie Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

I liked the movie as a kid. The powers were varied, the effects were decent for the era and the humor was funny. As time passed I didn't like it as much, as it repeated the Disney Channel cliche of "Hero becomes popular and forgets their friends". Nowadays I think it's okay but it's not a priority for rewatching.

I haven't watched MHA but on this day combining schools with superheroes isn't exactly revolutionary.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom