• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM002: The Guardian Deity Kapu-Kokeko Appears! Challenge, Our Z-Move!!

I hear people say Ash actually mentions that he owns a Tauros? Can anyone confirm or quote/translate exactly what he says?
Overall I wouldn't say the series is bad or good yet. His new companions are really great. I love all of them. Even with them being game characters I haven't really learned their names yet though. Ash doesn't really act any different than he did in the beginning of the XY series so I don't know what people are so hurt over.

Seems good especially with Tapu Koko but with the unfortunate art design of Ash. 6/10 for effort.

A great second episode. Can just about forgive it for doing the unforgivable.

The flute/pan-pipes remix of the main daaah-dah-DAAAAH theme music of the games (you guys know what I mean) was super cool and thematic. The overall effect with the art, music and animation is just to die for.

Again, the characterisation here is stellar. I loved the moment when Pikachu shook himself after the race with Ashimari, disappointed, and then Satoshi dropped that towel on him and basically told him how much he loved him and that he's the best (well he might as well have done!) Speaking of, the Z move thing was AMAAAAAZING! I already love this gimmick way more than the un-Pokemon mega evolution, and I felt pretty damn vindicated when they did that Satoshi-Geckouga style merging animation as if to say "yeah sorry, you were right, Pikachu really is Satoshi's one and only".

Already all the kids are uniquely identifiable by their personalities and only Mao seems to be a pure happy-go-lucky boring type. Suiren clearly has more in her and her affection towards Ashimari is pure love (I think she's my early fave). Kaki is already a bastard, pretty sure that Maamane is getting there and Lillie ain't no submissive waifu - this shouldn't be the easy (read: dull) group dynamic of XY.

My only gripe is the Kapu Kokeko randomly choosing Satoshi thing. If I were Kaki I'd be pissed too. I'm not a fan of the Chosen One shtick so I hope we don't have to endure too much of this.
Also, no Team Rocket for 2 consecutive episodes, a new record.
Err, I take it you've jumped here straight from 2010?
I was actually waiting for Team Rocket to show up. I'm wondering why they end up there... lol. I view them as part of the main cast too.
That's because they are!
The fact that they don't appear to have directly shadowed Satoshi makes me hope that there is a little more to it (though my expectations for an explanation are... 0.)

I hear people say Ash actually mentions that he owns a Tauros? Can anyone confirm or quote/translate exactly what he says?
Overall I wouldn't say the series is bad or good yet. His new companions are really great. I love all of them. Even with them being game characters I haven't really learned their names yet though. Ash doesn't really act any different than he did in the beginning of the XY series so I don't know what people are so hurt over.

upload_2016-11-17_19-54-27.png

That's because they are!
The fact that they don't appear to have directly shadowed Satoshi makes me hope that there is a little more to it (though my expectations for an explanation are... 0.)
The new summaries state that Giovanni sends Team Rocket to Alola, rather than Team Rocket following Ash to Alola. So I'm hoping there's something significant to that. Does Giovanni want to get rid of Team Skull?

I really really loveeeeeeeed the episodes, both are reaally great nd I really want to see the episodes again

Tapu Koko is a lot cooler in the anime then the description for it in the game... Ash hasn't exactly done much to truly perk it's interest, but no matter.

No subs so I'm winging it here, was Ash doing all those "battles" to 1. Perform the Z move? 2. Gain true acceptance to the school? If neither of those then I'm stumped

My only gripe is the Kapu Kokeko randomly choosing Satoshi thing. If I were Kaki I'd be pissed too. I'm not a fan of the Chosen One shtick so I hope we don't have to endure too much of this.
It seems that bird-like Legendaries in general seem to favor Ash. We got Ho-Oh randomly appearing to Ash and Pikachu in the first three series, Moltres in the form of its flame before lighting the touch at his first Pokémon League, the Lugia in Pokémon 2000 and Silver in the Johto arc, Latias in Pokémon Heroes (well the Eon Duo are at lest bird-like), and now Tapu Koko with its bird mask. I'd say Ash is king of the birds at this point!

It seems that bird-like Legendaries in general seem to favor Ash. We got Ho-Oh randomly appearing to Ash and Pikachu in the first three series, Moltres in the form of its flame before lighting the touch at his first Pokémon League, the Lugia in Pokémon 2000 and Silver in the Johto arc, Latias in Pokémon Heroes (well the Eon Duo are at lest bird-like), and now Tapu Koko with its bird mask. I'd say Ash is king of the birds at this point!
And now we'll have a Rowlet who loves him.

So I really like where this is going so far, I want to wait and see what happens before I make any further judgements though.

At first I was confused as to why team rocket wasn't there...but then I realized they probably couldn't afford a trip to Hawaii. Heck that's like a $20,000 trip and that's on the cheap.

Does Giovanni want to get rid of Team Skull?
I reckon he fancies the pants of Lusamine and needs them to make in-roads.
It seems that bird-like Legendaries in general seem to favor Ash.
It helps that not only can All Legendaries Talk but All Legendaries Can Fly (see: Kyogre).
At first I was confused as to why team rocket wasn't there...but then I realized they probably couldn't afford a trip to Hawaii.
Speaking of, do we think that they're gonna be poor again this series?

I love the second episode it was good, not great, good. I would give a 7 but i´ll give it an 8/10 since I enjoy it.

This episode was a bit weird too, but better paced than the first one.

First of all, it's nice to actually see Ash in class. I thought it was funny how Alolan Oak's costume changed to match his expressions. Hm, Rock Mutt looks even weirder animated. Anyway, I thought Ash's challenges against the other students was pretty funny. Seeing Togedemaru and Popplio best Pikachu was a real treat for me.

Moving on to the action, Ash battling against Tapu Koko was epic. Gigavolt Havoc was just monstrous. It's a shame we won't get to see it for a while until Ash gets a new Electrium-Z. Even with Tapu Koko guiding him, I did think it was weird that Ash just knew what to do when getting into the pose for Gigavolt Havoc. I was sort of hoping Sophecles would show him since it seems like that's what he does in the games. But whatever.

And next episode we'll get to Rotom-Dex. Overall series, is starting out nice. 9/10 for no TR twice in a row:)

This episode was a bit weird too, but better paced than the first one.

First of all, it's nice to actually see Ash in class. I thought it was funny how Alolan Oak's costume changed to match his expressions. Hm, Rock Mutt looks even weirder animated. Anyway, I thought Ash's challenges against the other students was pretty funny. Seeing Togedemaru and Popplio best Pikachu was a real treat for me.

Moving on to the action, Ash battling against Tapu Koko was epic. Gigavolt Havoc was just monstrous. It's a shame we won't get to see it for a while until Ash gets a new Electrium-Z. Even with Tapu Koko guiding him, I did think it was weird that Ash just knew what to do when getting into the pose for Gigavolt Havoc. I was sort of hoping Sophecles would show him since it seems like that's what he does in the games. But whatever.

And next episode we'll get to Rotom-Dex. Overall series, is starting out nice. 9/10 for no TR twice in a row:)
Maybe it the reference to the game, MC can do all kind of Z-Moves pose without being told by anyone

So far it seems many of the reset fears were unfounded, which is good.
Again, the characterisation here is stellar. I loved the moment when Pikachu shook himself after the race with Ashimari, disappointed, and then Satoshi dropped that towel on him and basically told him how much he loved him and that he's the best (well he might as well have done!) Speaking of, the Z move thing was AMAAAAAZING! I already love this gimmick way more than the un-Pokemon mega evolution, and I felt pretty damn vindicated when they did that Satoshi-Geckouga style merging animation as if to say "yeah sorry, you were right, Pikachu really is Satoshi's one and only".
I would like if they do something with this, maybe some focus on them mastering Z-moves together.

Speaking of, do we think that they're gonna be poor again this series?
Hmm...I have a gut feeling they've retired that idea, personally.

Hope that Wild Battle / Totem theme improves a bit... it wasn't awful, but it didn't sound as intense as I thought it would

Off the top of my head he more or less said, "It's okay. I'm used to Taurus. I caught/got (GETTO) them."

I know a fair amount of Japanese so I can confirm that he indeed does reference his caught Pokemon. That is a very high positive despite the many negatives of this series so far. I hope things like this continue because that bugged me in XY.

-----

Anyway, review time of episode 2. I'll try to keep this a bit shorter than my first episode review, but I have a lot I need to get off my chest.

Okay, so most of what I said for episode 1 applies to episode 2. I appreciate the first half of the episode taking its time exploring the Alola variations and whatnot. The issue I have with this episode as a whole is that it was just...not that interesting. And I fear this is going to be an issue that will come up a lot going forward. I'll explain what I mean.

Think about it. All the previous series had a set goal from start to finish. Goals that would more or less contribute to Ash's goal of being a Pokemon master (even if that goal will never come true because they refuse to just give us a new protagonist already). Without the gum system, Ash's adventure in the Alola region is going to feel very uninspired and dull. Not to mention pointless. Now, in contrast I feel this was a bold yet inspiring idea to go with in the games. But in an anime franchise that is already boggled down with fillers in between gym battles and contests/performances, I fear for what kind of slice-of-life material or random "Pokemon of the day" episodes we're going to have to suffer through. I still don't know a lot about the trials from the games but if the "shoot pictures of random Pokemon" from the demo is any indication, we could have to sit through a lot of really boring episodes with Ash just doing nothing but running around doing petty things.

Take this episode for example. What does Ash waste half an episode doing? Popping balloons. Yes, balloons. We're not even 5 episodes into this region yet and we're already being forced to watch snorefests. Sure, this may just be my opinion but I'm being honest here. The battle at the end was sort of better but only slightly. While I commend the series for not bring Team Rocket in on episode 1 and instead showing Team Skull rather than waiting to incorporate them halfway through the series, I would have preferred seeing Team Rocket this episode instead of all the randomness in the second half. Mainly because I feel like the writers owe it to the older fans to put all their cards on the table when it comes to returning characters. I can't fully judge the changes made to this series until I see how they're being handled and if they kept their Kalos Pokemon or not.

The trial captains get a bit more highlight this episode but so far it hasn't swayed me to like any of them better other than Kiawe who already made a positive impression last episode. I find it interesting that Mallow is the first female "good cook" character in the franchise but other than just being cute and a sweetheart, she still doesn't offer anything to the series. Same goes for Lana so far. And Sophocles is definitely going to get on my nerves really quick. I do like having so many characters specializing in one type on the main cast, but they need to do more for me to like them. We will see in due time I guess.

I give this one a 4.5/10. Definitely less interesting than the first episode. Seriously. Think about the second episode of the hour special for X&Y and how intense that was compared to what we got here. Next episode has potential at least.

The new opening is catchy but a good reflection of the drastic change in tone from this series. The ending is just uggghhh to me personally.

EDIT: Funny, I actually missed the fact that the Electrium-Z crystal shattered at the end when I watched the episode this morning. I admit that sort of retracts the complaint I had about Ash being too overpowered that I mentioned in the review of episode 1. That is one positive and he will hopefully have to wait a while before getting another one.

Anyway, I will definitely give the series a chunk of episodes to prove my worries wrong. I will see if I can get used to the drastic tone changes or not and if they can keep things interesting enough to keep tuning in each week.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom