• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM005: Ashimari, Give it Your bALLoon!

I was pretty chilled out watching this episode until Milotic gave Ash a critical hit to the nads.

That had me in stitches, just for how out of nowhere it was. I'm sure Ash will have plenty of opportunities to play the hero later on, but for now, I'm just going to enjoy this textbook piece of comedic timing.

We had a big discussion in the previous episode thread about making screentime for characters count, and I felt they really did a decent job of doing so this time. Lana aside, there was Lillie's ridiculous sanitation suit thing, Sophocles' fishing rod, Kiawe being bored out his skull (and making excuses for being crap at fishing) and Mallow's checking up on the group. They appeared on screen for very small periods of time but they made sure you didn't forget they were there.

As for Lana herself, she's a soothing character in this show. She actually makes a decent foil for Ash and his loudness. I like that she stands up for the little guy, too. It's clearly a thing for her - something like an older sister instinct.

The pacing of this episode was slow but it wasn't sluggish. I found it relaxing. Perfect to watch after a stressful week. I'd much prefer a format where we get slice of life/relaxing episodes like this with a rotating cast than the old character of the day model.

There were a few other little things I really liked, too:

> Ash telling Rotomdex to stay still so Pikachu can use him as a springboard to get to the net
> Team Skull showing up in the flashback, because picking on a Pokemon is exactly the sort of stuff bored teenager like them would do
> Rowlet just spending the whole time chilling in Ash's bag. Its personality comes across nicely without it being shoved in our faces

Oh, and that Bewear gag. I'll be very impressed if they top that.

While I had already enjoyed the episode previously, seeing the subbed version made the episode ten times better. I find Suiren hilarious though. Her little jokes that Satoshi takes seriously and how she's able to keep a straight face while saying things that are obviously lies.

Alola is really growing on me, at first I thought it was a bit too frenetic and too many characters introduced at once. But now we're getting into the episodes that revolve around each character, and I really like Suiren here with the spotlight on her. Her voice is so cute! So are her little twin sisters. I also love her outfit.

I liked Team Rocket sneaking around trying to figure out what Satoshi's up to in Alola. Lol'd at how they kinda summed up a lot of people's initial reaction to this season's concept, like "Satoshi's going to school now? Meh, okay..."

Still getting used to Musashi and Kojiro having those rounder eyelids. I kinda hate how Kojiro's hair is drawn now. :/ I guess I'll get used to it, but their design isn't as cute as previous seasons. Otherwise, I think I'm okay with the animation in general, it's nice to be surprised with the way the animators make characters' faces react to things.

Maybe the dialogue clarifies it, but it bothers me a bit from a characterization standpoint that Ash seems to be just stand there grinning while Pikachu is getting harassed by the sisters.
At least they all got a well-deserved thunderbolt.

I liked Team Rocket sneaking around trying to figure out what Satoshi's up to in Alola. Lol'd at how they kinda summed up a lot of people's initial reaction to this season's concept, like "Satoshi's going to school now? Meh, okay..."

I thought the exact same thing!

This episode was pretty good in some eras, but fell short in others.

I loved the focus on Lana and showing off her skills with water-types. It was also nice to see how she met Popplio by saving him (or her) from Team Skull. And with that said, I love how a lot of the skull grunts have varying designs and how they don't just have the identical designs like the do in the games. (Now just give them their Nest Balls and I'll be good). Anyway, the Lana focus was a nice treat since she has been kind of in the background since her debut. I like that we got to see her adorable sisters who look identical to her torturing Pikachu and just being annoying. That was cute:p I also lol'd seeing Ash get smashed into by that Milotic. And Lillie wearing giant overprotective suit was hilarious.

I didn't like how Popplio sort of dropped into the background during the fishing shenanigans. I was hoping he'd (or she'd) have a bit more focus. It was nice to see more of the adorable little guy playing with Pikachu and making water balloons though. I hope we get to see more of him/her in the future. Just pleas stay small and adorable forever and don't evolve into those hideous monstrosities.

The biggest issues for me came in the form of TR, (spent a bunch of time just hovering over Ash and co. in the trees and bushes), Rowlet (had no reason to even be outside of his Poke Ball for most of this episode since he did nothing until Ash had him blow up TR's balloon), Bewear (showed up in the last few minutes of the episode to catch TR while running on water for a gag that is already getting old and isn't funny in the slightest) and most importantly that the other classmates really didn't do much of anything. I honestly would have preferred for them not to be there at all.

Overall, I'd give this episode a 6/10. Was't horrible, but I probably wouldn't re-watch it.

Isn't the hate Rotom is getting on bastard Serebii ironic? Being an obnoxious, know-it-all, stats-obsessed hellion is practically synonymous with Pokemon Fan. Makes me wish we could have seen Rotom's reaction to Satoshi losing the Kalos League.
Maybe the dialogue clarifies it, but it bothers me a bit from a characterization standpoint that Ash seems to be just stand there grinning while Pikachu is getting harassed by the sisters.
Rotom (I think? It must be...) is saying how loved Pikachu is in Alola and Satoshi's all "Omg Pikachu isn't that cool?!"

Okay, honest question - if the Rotom Pokedex is sort of half technology, half Pokemon (since there is literally a Pokemon inside), wouldn't it be able to understand and translate Pokemon language for everybody? Or is this not possible because the technology itself isn't programmed to have that function? Not sure if this is a plot hole or just my nitpicking...
Wouldn't it be neat if RotomDex could have had conversations with Popplio about its goals to make giant bubbles and then translate back to the team? Or maybe that would be too convenient.

Last edited:
I was pretty chilled out watching this episode until Milotic gave Ash a critical hit to the nads.

That had me in stitches, just for how out of nowhere it was. I'm sure Ash will have plenty of opportunities to play the hero later on, but for now, I'm just going to enjoy this textbook piece of comedic timing.

The pacing of this episode was slow but it wasn't sluggish. I found it relaxing. Perfect to watch after a stressful week. I'd much prefer a format where we get slice of life/relaxing episodes like this with a rotating cast than the old character of the day model.

I wonder if that's a callback to this scene:

428.jpg

Both from Tomioka episodes.

Cutting down on CotDs does seem like the best way to handle a larger cast.

Isn't the hate Rotom is getting on bastard Serebii ironic? Being an obnoxious, know-it-all, stats-obsessed hellion is practically synonymous with Pokemon Fan. Makes me wish we could have seen Rotom's reaction to Satoshi losing the Kalos League.

I haven't checked Serebii forums lately but that...doesn't surprise me.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom