• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM007: The Vagabond in the Market, Nyabby!

Episode was a disappointment. It was kind of misleading to show us shots of Ash and Litten bonding. Ash won't be getting a Litten now. He had his chance and failed again. 3/10 for effort.
You're completely overreacting.

The only pokemon that reappear and eventually got caught was Sandile. I don't see Litten following that pattern. This is wild Litten that is unlikely to appear again.
Aipom, Gible, Dedenne, Mimikyu. They would all like a word with you.

You're completely overreacting.

Aipom, Gible, Dedenne, Mimikyu. They would all like a word with you.
No i am not. They made it look like he was going to get litten. Now it seems he won't get it. He has rowlet anyway.

Hmm personally I found this episode to be entertaining and a step up from last episode, but not as good as Lana's episode. Then again, episodes that focus 100% on Satoshi have never been the most interesting to me honestly even in the other series. He's always at his best when he's interacting with others for me at least. As far as Litten goes, I did find its personality to be a bit intriguing, being a bit of a jerk and a thief and all. The Stoutland was a nice reference as well. I'll admit him NOT catching it was a bit of a surprise. If anything I appreciate them departing from the obvious but it seems like he'll get it eventually.

Episode was okay, but not really that good either. I don't really feel like rating this one either because since there was no actual capture the episode really only serves to introduce a Pokemon that may or may not be a part of Ash's team (though definitely more likely), but does nothing else really.

But let's be open and honest though. We're getting closer to 7 episodes into the series and I don't really feel like it has hit any high notes in terms of characters or plot or action or anything really. Still definitely gonna keep checking episodes out and if Lillie gets more focus next episode I'll be all for that since she's definitely one of my S&M favorites.

As usual praise goes to the music. I'm not entirely sure but was there movie music used this episode or was that from Best Wishes? That chanting/singing track sounded very familiar somehow. Also gotta appreciate the anime versions of Hal'ouli City (or however you spell that) but to be honest I feel the Alola Trainer Battle track feels a bit lacking compared to others from the other series. And the game version is very good as well.

This is wild Litten that is unlikely to appear again.

Well this Litten has been appearing frequently from episode 1 even if it is still currently wild. I'm still not sure what the writers want to do with it but it definitely will be appearing again. That is a given.

Episode was okay, but not really that good either. I don't really feel like rating this one either because since there was no actual capture the episode really only serves to introduce a Pokemon that may or may not be a part of Ash's team (though definitely more likely), but does nothing else really.

It does more than just introduce a new Pokemon. It showed us what Litten's character is, what its circumstances are and why it behaves the way it does. Ash learned these things and is now able to understand Litten better. It set-up future episodes potentially focusing on the old Stoutland and presents a key problem that has to be resolved before Litten can join Ash's team.

If we use a broader perspective, this episode does a great job showing that Alolan Pokemon help and protect each other, which is one the big themes of this generation.

I found this be a strong episode, in terms of characterisation. It gave me a reason to care about Litten now, by showing that there is something at stake for it. It showed that while it's unfriendly, it's only acting in defence of another Pokemon, and has insecurities about Stoutland not being there. Having shown the strength of attachment it had to Stoutland, it would have been wrong and anti-climactic to have Ash catch it now. Generally, I just really like that there's an independent Pokemon that doesn't need human help to solve its problems.

It's a shame that the animation quality wasn't up to par, though. There was limited movement throughout, and any movement there was looked stiff.

I really liked this episode and it actually made me a little misty. Even though I would love ash to have litten, I think this was much better for his character and qualities as a trainer. He openly wanted to catch litten, but once he found out litten had important ties and for lack of a better word, obligations, he did't even try and instead just wanted to help at every turn. Whether he ends up with a litten on his team or not, there are plenty of Pokemon in Alola and it's episodes like this that make him a much more likable protagonist.

As usual praise goes to the music. I'm not entirely sure but was there movie music used this episode or was that from Best Wishes? That chanting/singing track sounded very familiar somehow.

They definitely used Meloetta's singing mixed in there. I did a did a double take when I heard it. I think it was a nice touch, though.

Episode was a disappointment. It was kind of misleading to show us shots of Ash and Litten bonding. Ash won't be getting a Litten now. He had his chance and failed again. 3/10 for effort.

The only pokemon that reappear and eventually got caught was Sandile. I don't see Litten following that pattern. This is wild Litten that is unlikely to appear again.

It's a starter Pokemon, of course it will appear again (and highly likely it will be caught by Ash).

And I see you've forgotten about Aipom, Gible, Dedenne, and Mimikyu.

It does more than just introduce a new Pokemon. It showed us what Litten's character is, what its circumstances are and why it behaves the way it does. Ash learned these things and is now able to understand Litten better. It set-up future episodes potentially focusing on the old Stoutland and presents a key problem that has to be resolved before Litten can join Ash's team.

If we use a broader perspective, this episode does a great job showing that Alolan Pokemon help and protect each other, which is one the big themes of this generation.

I found this be a strong episode, in terms of characterisation. It gave me a reason to care about Litten now, by showing that there is something at stake for it. It showed that while it's unfriendly, it's only acting in defence of another Pokemon, and has insecurities about Stoutland not being there. Having shown the strength of attachment it had to Stoutland, it would have been wrong and anti-climactic to have Ash catch it now. Generally, I just really like that there's an independent Pokemon that doesn't need human help to solve its problems.

It's a shame that the animation quality wasn't up to par, though. There was limited movement throughout, and any movement there was looked stiff.

Okay, I totally understand your point and I agree with you. But the point I'm trying to make is that the Pokemon anime has always been a mix of adventure, comedy, action, and character interactions. We're nearly 10 episodes in now and the series is highly geared toward characters (which it is only doing an okay job with episodes likes this shining more than episodes like last week) and comedy with hardly any adventure or focus.

Let me put it another way. We know what Satoshi's goal is, right? To master the Z-Ring and learn about Z-Moves and whatnot. But since episode 2, what has he done to even remotely try to work on this goal? Even filler episodes in other series still work to some degree because he is always actively traveling to the next gym battle or league and training. But him sitting around in Kukui's lab and going to the shopping mall and whatnot just feels like his character has lost his eagerness to progress himself like he's had in other series.

I'm not saying episodes like this can't happen and that they're bad. Just, when you have a ton of episodes like this stacked on top of each other it really doesn't do much to show any progression in the protagonist in terms of his goal. For the first series since the beginning he is static in one place for too long and it just feels off to me.

They definitely used Meloetta's singing mixed in there. I did a did a double take when I heard it. I think it was a nice touch, though.

Huh, that's a very interesting choice. I was already surprised by them using X&Y music a bit here and there but if they are going to be dipping into all the previous series, even into the older series pools possibly at some point, that would be great. Not that I don't encourage new game tracks as well.

Let me put it another way. We know what Satoshi's goal is, right? To master the Z-Ring and learn about Z-Moves and whatnot. But since episode 2, what has he done to even remotely try to work on this goal? Even filler episodes in other series still work to some degree because he is always actively traveling to the next gym battle or league and training. But him sitting around in Kukui's lab and going to the shopping mall and whatnot just feels like his character has lost his eagerness to progress himself like he's had in other series.

I'm not saying episodes like this can't happen and that they're bad. Just, when you have a ton of episodes like this stacked on top of each other it really doesn't do much to show any progression in the protagonist in terms of his goal. For the first series since the beginning he is static in one place for too long and it just feels off to me.

It's not that he's lost his eagerness, it's that his energy is now focused on school and learning and that objective requires him to be in one place, hence the lack of adventure so far. You ask what he's done that even "remotely" contributes to his goal - he's caught Rowlett, he's learned more about his potential companions/opponents, and he's working towards catching Litten as well. He's fought Team Rocket a couple of times, which technically counts as training. Next episode he's battling someone. After that he's meeting Hala.

What they've done is frontload some of the character focus, so the pacing is slower. I can understand if that bothers people since this show habitually rushes head first into things before it slows down. But I think the notion that nothing is happening or very little is happening in these episodes is wrong, because everything we're being shown is contributing to the overall journey.

Yes but his time in school has hardly been a focus at all. In fact the school has just been a place he visits for one minute or two each episode and he has not learned anything of substance from it. Also, I don't think we can really call battling Team Rocket training. Okay, well Mimikyu is a fair opponent I suppose. But he needs to be actively doing more than that.

Yes but his time in school has hardly been a focus at all. In fact the school has just been a place he visits for one minute or two each episode and he has not learned anything of substance from it. Also, I don't think we can really call battling Team Rocket training. Okay, well Mimikyu is a fair opponent I suppose. But he needs to be actively doing more than that.
Well, we're only two episodes away from his first trial. After he wins he'll have to come up with some plan for Hala, assuming that he needs three Pokemon as in the games.

It's a starter Pokemon, of course it will appear again (and highly likely it will be caught by Ash).

And I see you've forgotten about Aipom, Gible, Dedenne, and Mimikyu.
I don't think he will get it now.

The fifth motto is already a full variation with new music and all, this is looking good. If they keep this up I may forgive them for recycling the animation.
Also, I find amusing how this artstyle is supposed to be easier for the animators to draw, yet 7 episodes in and they're already making Ash's hair spiky again.

ya this is weird. You could take away the school and nothing would change

A pretty well-constructed episode. Ash deciding not to catch Litten was a pretty nice twist and it was perfectly reasonable, as well. The episode did a good job breaking down Litten's character and background concisely. I also liked how Ash has retained the self-sacrifice aspect of his character from XY&Z. The ending was good twist, as well. In spite of Ash's good intentions, Litten still doesn't trust him fully hence establishing a mini-goal where Ash needs to fully gain Litten's trust.

My biggest complaint was the animation quality. It took a pretty noticeable dip from previous episodes.

I don't think he will get it now.
Your thinking is severely wrong. Obviously he will catch it, just not right now. You just always seem to find a reason to complain about the show at any moment. I get it's your opinion, but you are just always so negative. I don't think I've ever seen a post from you was positive.

On my own note, I thought the episode was nicely done and Litten has a pretty different backstory from most of Ash's pokemon. That alolan persian needs to stop being such a jerk too, honestly it was so rude to poor Litten. I also have a terrible feeling that Stoutland might actually passaway and will be the reason Litten will go to Ash.

No i am not. They made it look like he was going to get litten. Now it seems he won't get it. He has rowlet anyway.
Having Turtwig didn't stop him from getting Chimchar in DP, and you totally are. The episode absolutely wasn't a disappointment, I'd say you're still too jaded and upset about Greninja (Goodra was never staying for the rest of XY) to give this series a fair chance if I had to guess. Ash not wanting to split up a family is very admirable of him and a good enough reason to not catch Litten right now.

You shouldn't forget either that Ash also passed on catching Rowlet four episodes earlier for this same reason until Toucannon let it join him, Stoutland may well do the same thing somewhere down the line.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom