• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM008: Who'll Be in Charge of the Egg?

Have only seen the episode pictures and seen some reaction, but this seems a really interesting episode.

The big thing that came out of it was the photo of Lillie with her mother and Gladion. Lillie is holding a Pokemon, but apparently after a trip with her mother she became afraid of them and doesn't remember what happened. Not only does this foreshadow future appearances for the rest of her family, but also adds intrigue to her story arc.

Lillie is able to hold the egg on her own by the end of the episode, but the egg didn't hatch. So she's taken the first steps of overcoming her fear but still has a ways to go.

Looking forward to watching it later.

This episode seems to be really interesting. Now I'm wondering why Lillie is afraid of Pokemon, when she was young, she liked touching them after the incident that caused her to fear of them. I don't get it why everyone doesn't care about Pokemon Question segment with some bonus scenes that will probably be removed in the dub. I mean it's a new one that replaced PokeTV and always appears at the beginning of the episode, not at the end, and ends with a selected question by using TV remote to choose the question showing some clips of the Sun and Moon Series plus a bonus scene. Pokemon Question can be seen on Hulu in some episodes that I heard. Anyway, I look forward to Lillie's overcoming her fear to Pokemon.

No egg hatching, but hearing about that Lusamine and Gladion picture is pretty cool in itself. I'm quite pleased that they're being acknowledged in the anime.

No egg hatching, but hearing about that Lusamine and Gladion picture is pretty cool in itself. I'm quite pleased that they're being acknowledged in the anime.
I hope they keep the ball rolling with the Aether Foundation. Have them appear as good guys in the field, helping Ash in the nick of time against Team Rocket/Skull. If not, maybe show advertisements for their business in-universe and the Aether Houses.

Aww, such a cute photo. Also interesting that Lillie wasn't always afraid of Pokémon. I wonder how that'll pan out.

Oh hey, Lillie's got her pink backpack.

Nice touch with Lilligant near Lusamine.

I thought this was quite mediocre, pretty much on the same slow and lame level as the previous episodes. The photo was basically the highlight of the entire episode. The battle was short and shitty. Meh.

Togedemaru is the cutest thing ever. She's so happy and hyper, kind of like Pachirisu. I actually lol'd when she smashed into Pikachu and flung him into a wall. That was hilarious.I like that Mallow rescued Lillie from getting rolled into.

Moving on to the egg shenanigans, it seems like they really do still have Oak's Kanto Vulpix egg. I was wondering what happened to it. I wonder what'll become of the Vulpix that hatches. I guess it'll just stay with Sampson. Is it just me, or did Bounsweet look larger when it was in Mallow's arms? And hello...Salandit peering through the window. Am I the only one a bit disappointed by how little we've actually been seeing the trainers in school. It seems like we only ever see them hanging around in class for a few minutes, and I think we've only seen 2 actual learning moments so far. I just find it a bit weird since they promoted the school so much in the beginning.

Anyway, moving on to Lillie's swag mansion...what the hell is with the stalker Salandit? Get out. It's nice to see Lillie's large collection of books since we know she loves to read. And wow, they actually showed a picture with Gladion and Lusamine. I wasn't expecting to see them so early. And what the hell was Pikachu's deal? Why would he forcefully put his head in Lillie's hand before she was ready to touch him? And then he acted like it was no big deal. This is so ooc for him. If stuff like this keeps up, I don't think I'm going to be too fond of Pikachu in this saga. And I already don't like the bird... And speaking of him, of course he'd freak Lillie out just by being annoying. I didn't them to actually count Rotom-dex as a Pokemon though.

Wow, I forgot all about the battle. Oricorio is so damn cute though. Interesting how they showed it producing sparks when it can't even learn any electric-type moves. I like the way they portrayed Revelation Dance though. I lol'd when that annoying owl got flung in the air. Poor Mallow, though. Man, all that time the battle was going on and Salandit was only just getting inside the house:/ Took it long enough. I was wondering where it went after the camera focused on Ash and James. I freaked out when it was actually in front of Lillie.

It was really cute to see Lillie hugging the egg. I hope it hatches soon. Nice episode overall. 9/10.

Why did Mallow come to Lillie's Mansion? Did she know there was going to be a battle?
Rowlet knows peck and some other move. Also it looks like the VS. screen isn't coming back.
Good episode.

This episode confirms Gladion is older than Lillie since he definitely looks taller than her in the picture. I don't think it was explicitly said or implied he's older in the games, unless my brain fails me.

Anyhow, I hope the photo is a subtle nod to what's to come for the future of this saga, it must be.

Personally, I don't think there would have been much point in showing that picture, besides showing us that Lusamine and Gladion exist, if they don't plan on using Lusamine and Gladion in the future. I'm sure they're going to appear in the future, so I feel like this was foreshadowing.

While I've only seen episode pictures so far, I am really looking forward to where they will go with Gladion and Lusamine since there is no way they would have shown us the photo if there was not a plan for using them later. If their story turns out to be anything like it was in the games, this could well be one of the better sagas of the animé, if not the best.

While I've only seen episode pictures so far, I am really looking forward to where they will go with Gladion and Lusamine since there is no way they would have shown us the photo if there was not a plan for using them later. If their story turns out to be anything like it was in the games, this could well be one of the better sagas of the animé, if not the best.

I feel that Unova comparisons are made here, so let's offer the theory that they try what BW was originally trying to set up with Team Plasma before the big disaster put a kebosh on that.

Then again, anime has been affected by worse things. Ever here the time Yu-Gi-Oh had to turn their ancient Incan Cult into a Secret Organization of Future Robots after a V.A was linked to a cult?

Very cute episode, Lillie is really likeable. Looking forward to subtitles so we can get more info about what's going on with her family photo.

I assumed at first that that Salandit had something to do with Team Skull, but maybe not? What was up with him? In any case, it's interesting to have a random "bad guy" Pokemon as the antagonist, although I'm missing Team Rocket. Doesn't look like they'll be in next week's episode either. Poo...

Animation was much better this week! Some good face expressions here.

The episode title's a bit misleading, no? Like, the "mystery" of who'll be in charge of the egg lasts all of five minutes before it's decied that Lillie will be the one to take care of it.

Anyway, animation was much better this week and I found the battle between Satoshi and James to be surprisingly decent.

A-Pure-Cat said:
What made her so afraid of touching them?

Even Lillie doesn't know. Her butler explains that Lillie temporarily moved away to another mansion with her mother and brother when she was younger but when she came back she suddenly became unable to touch pokemon. So maybe something happened when she was away? Lillie doesn't seem to remember one way or the other.

Her mother stayed behind at that other mansion while her brother is off somewhere else.

jungle_penguins said:
Why did Mallow come to Lillie's Mansion? Did she know there was going to be a battle?

She was worried about how Lillie was doing with the egg so she stopped by to check on her.

Neo Blaze said:
This episode confirms Gladion is older than Lillie since he definitely looks taller than her in the picture. I don't think it was explicitly said or implied he's older in the games, unless my brain fails me.

I *believe* she refers to him as "older brother" in the Japanese version of the games but I don't really remember either. In any case, Lillie refers to Gladio as "older brother" in this episode so he's older than her in this canon, at least.

KrspaceT said:
I feel that Unova comparisons are made here, so let's offer the theory that they try what BW was originally trying to set up with Team Plasma before the big disaster put a kebosh on that.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that the 3/11 disaster derailed *any* plans for Best Wishes! other than the banning of a single two-parter. The rest of the series most likely would have unfolded the same way with little to no change.

Mew2 said:

I hope so too, but the fact that there's no Cosmog in the TV series (so far) tells me that the writers aren't sticking to the game story so much. There's still plenty of ways to make things work though!

Mayla said:
I assumed at first that that Salandit had something to do with Team Skull, but maybe not? What was up with him? In any case, it's interesting to have a random "bad guy" Pokemon as the antagonist, although I'm missing Team Rocket. Doesn't look like they'll be in next week's episode either. Poo...

I know :( I mean, if there was ever a series where it made sense to have a trio of comic relief villains appear in every episode then Sun & Moon would definitely be it, right? Ugh.

As for the Yatoumori, it seems like it's just a wild pokemon.

Like most people I'm interested about what that picture means for where the show will take Lillie's story, but we have no idea how they'll handle those characters. The show has dropped the ball on a lot of cool game storylines before (*cough*TeamPlasma*cough*) but hopefully they'll get it right this time.

I hope so too, but the fact that there's no Cosmog in the TV series (so far) tells me that the writers aren't sticking to the game story so much. There's still plenty of ways to make things work though!

I'm not super far into the games yet so I could be totally wrong here, but a lot of people think that the anime is kind of a prequel to the games in some regards, so maybe she could get Cosmog halfway through the series and have something similar to her game storyline take place in the second half?

Rowlet knows peck and some other move. Also it looks like the VS. screen isn't coming back.
Good episode.

She wanted to check on Lillie and the Egg (being the big sister/Team Mom character she is). She actually would have left with Ash and Lillie immediately after school, but had other business to attend to (the restaurant I believe). Also, Rowlet's other move is Tackle. I like that it executes the move as it does in the game as well as its Pokedex lore. :D

I too, was disappointed in the lack of the VS Screen against James. Maybe they will save it for special battles, like against the Kahunas?

I also wonder if Lillie's early traumatic experience was the result of an interaction with an Ultra Beast. That could be plausible, explain why Lusamine stayed behind and easily tie into the actual game's plot rather nicely. Bonus points if Nihilego's toxins are the reason Lillie cannot remember the event completely. But this is all speculation at this point :p I'm very excited to see what Sun & Moon has in store. Really liked this episode, as well as the ones we've gotten so far. And #TeamRowlet.

Gotta say I enjoyed this episode a lot. This and last episode were on point, really, in terms of characterization. Lillie is one of my favorite characters in the games (as she is many people's it seems) so I still feel like the anime needs to do a lot more with her character in the future and try to adapt her game storyline in some capacity. But for the time being her quirk of being afraid of Pokemon yet still loving Pokemon makes her pretty interesting. The photo showing Lusamine and Gladion gives me hope we'll see more game storylines in the future and also confirms the existence of those two in the anime, which is awesome. The only other character I really need to see is Hao and I'll be satisfied since it's a given all the trial captains and Kahunas will be appearing as well as important Team Skull and Aether members.

It's pretty neat that we get two Pokemon eggs for the price of one. People were speculating one egg would be a Vulpix if I recall so it should be interesting to see if that comes true or not. Not sure what the other egg could be either.

I've also got to hand it to the writers for making a character named James for the irony. The dub will probably rename him Jimmy or Jim or something. But his battle was cool and I learned a bit more about Orocorio since I haven't tried to raise one yet. I just know those things are a pain to battle with their Teeter Dance but I wasn't aware of the ability they had or the special move Revelation Dance. So from what I could gather the moveset it had was Revelation Dance, Mirror Move, Teeter Dance and Double Slap.

From the preview it looks like Ash will be facing his first Totem Pokemon next week but I'm not sure if he's going to actually be undertaking trials in the anime or not. So anyway, my main criticism remains that the series needs to get a more steady plotline going. But it's improving with its characters for now at least and that is a good thing.

Best SM episode so far!
Mao needs to calm down about Lillie.
Episode seems longer than usual?
Or so much stuff happened...
Did they change the ED?
Screenshot_2016-12-23-14-44-13-1.png

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom