• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM010: Will the Z-Move Work! Challenge the Grand Trial!!

I believe the point of Electrium Z breaking was because it was so powerfully pulled off that it shattered. And I think the reason Tapu-Koko is giving the Z-Crystal is because it is choosing Ash for something that is yet to be explained.

This could well be the case, but nonetheless it still bothers me a lot. Tapu Koko took a liking to Ash for, essentially, just turning up on the island. He doesn't do anything remarkable yet has the interest of a legendary Pokemon. The alarm bells are ringing here.

Anti Sue is more likely. Yes, Ash has befriended more Legends than any of us could dream of, and stop countless villain plots that should've earned him countless medals, but he still cannot win a league because either the writers create another Gary Stu (Tobias) or temporary turn a Pokémon into one (Alan's Charizard). TV Tropes has more details on the types of Sues out there.

This is probably a discussion for a different thread, but he's certainly not an anti-sue. Otherwise all the legendaries would hate him/ignore him and his attempts to thwart the villains would always end in failure.

...sounds like a pretty fanfic idea, actually.

Did anyone else feel that the pre-episode quiz by Hala kind of gave the game away in terms of the outcome? I was expecting him to lose but as soon as the question came up about his Z crystal the result seemed obvious. I'm surprised that the complaints on here are so limited. When I was watching that battle I really thought that the majority of you would have hated it - it all felt very pedestrian. I quite like that to be honest, I feel it's more realistic. Satoshi & Mokuroh kind of fumbling through it together reminded me of how I perform in every practical exam I've ever taken (except for the fact that Mokuroh unexpectedly won!)

I love the relationship between Rotomdex and Mokuroh. I found it so funny when Rotom was shocked that Mokuroh was awake!

I also liked that Satoshi found the praying boring and he wasn't super into it like the goody two shoes he would have been in XY. I wish real-life God would give a squawk to acknowledge that my prayers have been received though... Would be so helpful.

The only thing I didn't like, like quite a few of you have already said, is Kapu Kokeko's chosen one routine with Satoshi. I was looking forward to seeing the electric Z move again after a significant break - I feel a little bit underwhelmed that it has returned so soon. I will now only be satisfied if Pikachu relearns Volt Tackle .etc .etc.
Kukui is the new Takeshi!
Kapu-sama is still stalking like an obsessive boyfriend. He even choose the Z-crystal.
:ROFLMAO:

Hey look Rowlet might not sleep this episod-nevermind.
Also this means Ash didn't lose any Pokemon during this battle, it's 2v2 but still.
Overall this episode was good. (Also DP gym battle music played for a few seconds.)

Did anyone else feel that the pre-episode quiz by Hala kind of gave the game away in terms of the outcome? I was expecting him to lose but as soon as the question came up about his Z crystal the result seemed obvious. I'm surprised that the complaints on here are so limited. When I was watching that battle I really thought that the majority of you would have hated it - it all felt very pedestrian. I quite like that to be honest, I feel it's more realistic. Satoshi & Mokuroh kind of fumbling through it together reminded me of how I perform in every practical exam I've ever taken (except for the fact that Mokuroh unexpectedly won!)

The battle was mediocre but didn't do anything to make me dislike it. You can kinda excuse it for being that way as well because it was only 2v2, one of Ash's two is new, and both of Hala's Pokemon were both immobile and attacked with their hands. It's not the easiest set-up to choreograph an exciting battle out of. They're limited in what they can do with the 3D camera and what special effects they can add, given all the punching moves that were used.

If there's anything that annoyed me about it, it was the constant cutting away to Rotomdex so he can make a comment. They frequently broke up the flow of the battle when they could have just had Rotomdex comment in the background - I didn't need to see the latest emoji he's got on screen to pick up his emotion. And of course there were the obligatory cut aways to Kukui so he could commentate on the fight (just a pet peeve in general about action shows).

I think as well that the battle, on the whole, didn't feel that big of a deal. Maybe it was the lack of audience and hype from other people, but it didn't quite feel like the significant moment it should have been.

Kukui was going to teach him, just before the fight, but Ash said he had researched the move beforehand and already knew how to do it. It's lazy writing, but nonetheless there was an explanation for this.
I believe there's no such a thing in this episode
It's just really lazy writing. Illima was scrapped altogether for some reason even though he would have a) given Ash Normalium Z and b) demonstrated and taught him how to use it. And apparently they didn't have the foresight to give Ash a Pokemon with a fighting type move before this episode (Pikipek with Rock Smash - problem solved), nor do they seem to be planning giving him one.

Hell, the whole reason Electrium Z broke in the first place was because Ash apparently didn't know how to use it properly. But here he is pulling off Z-Moves with no actual on-screen practice. So what was even the point of Electrium Z breaking?
a) because Ash met Hala directly, and Hala giving Satoshi a test so he can do the trial. We can say dat Ash is special case, just like you have someone you know in company, then they help you to get in

b) in alola, trial is like some ritual, so it's not something weird seeing his electrium z got shattered because he hasn't took any ritual, in simple terms, Ash hasn't accepted as someone who can use z-move

As for the fight itself, it was kind of average. It was nice that Ash remembered to attack Hariyama's legs, yet Hariyama fell quickly for a Pokemon that's meant to be durable. Pikachu tanked a blow from All Out Pummeling but Hariyama couldn't do the same for Breakneck Blitz. I don't know, it was just a weird battle to me. It was way too easy for Ash.

I thought for sure Ash would lose here, go do some training, maybe catch Litten then come back and win the second time round, wrapping up Melemele Island in the process. Now that he's won though I've no idea what's next for him.

You know what? when Ash is lose against noob snivy, lot of people whimming like "how the hell that pikachu got beaten by lvl 5 snivy?" and now, you see ash as competent trainer, you still whimming, what the hell, just what ash do you want to see?

You know what? when Ash is lose against noob snivy, lot of people whimming like "how the hell that pikachu got beaten by lvl 5 snivy?" and now, you see ash as competent trainer, you still whimming, what the hell, just what ash do you want to see?

How competent Ash is actually doesn't matter that much to me. It matters far less than a decent story, and for me this fight failed to tell a decent story. Having the protagonist stroll up and win a fight that's meant to be challenging with minimal effort is not good storytelling. It's boring.

No matter how competent the protagonist is, if they aren't struggling and suffering to accomplish their goals, they aren't a good protagonist.

Kapu Kokeko...I don't think I've ever heard a Pokemon name so many times in the span of ten episodes.

Anyway, I have a few thoughts about this episode and Ash's first Grand Trial. I appreciate them getting straight to the point with the battle, despite the prayer in the beginning. The battle itself though felt lackluster to me. Compared to some of Ash's early major battles, such as as his first fight with Viola, this battle felt too easy and lax. Rowlet vs Crabrawler was fair, but Pikachu vs Hairyama was a bit lacking. Hairyama used Belly Drum, maximizing its Attack, and proceeded to fire off a fully charged All Out Pummeling...only to simply knock down Pikachu. Pikachu returns the favor with a weaker Breakneck Blitz and sends the nearly 600lb Pokemon flying. Meanwhile, Kukui is spouting contradictory nonsense about Hala's alleged strength...right.

It just all left a poor taste in my mouth. They could have used this episode to really convey Hala's strength as well as the work Ash still needs to with his Pokemon. A loss could have had him motivated to train and thus fully explore the island (maybe catch another Pokemon while he's at it), while appreciating its beauty and culture. Then after some maturity, come back and challenge Hala to a more substantial match. That would have been a lot better writing in my opinion.

Next, Ash receives the Electrium Z instead of the Fightinium Z from Hala/Tapu Koko. I don't have a problem with that. However, what I don't understand is why is Ash qualified to use the Z Crystal now and not seven episodes ago? What about him has changed? Just because he had two relatively normal battles with Gumshoos and Hala? I don't understand the logic behind that nor do I see any potential or privilege that was unlocked in doing so.

I also don't understand why people are saying Ash didn't learn the Normal Z-Move pose. In the episode, he explicitly says he's been practicing the move with Professor Kukui (who most likely is the one who taught him it). Now, could they have made an episode about him learning said Z-Move and successfully using it for the first time? Yes, they sure could have. I do agree though that Illima should have been present with the Trial and all it entails though, rather than Hala.

Lastly, it was pretty cute seeing Gumshoos take to Officer Jenny's mannerisms so quickly. It looks genuinely happy. Also, Hairyama could have easily caught Crabrawler from crashing into the ground like that-it instead let its ally hit the ground like a meteorite

For all we know, there is no such thing as trial captains in the anime.

Last edited:
Not impressed with the scenes in the beggining. I wonder how the dub will handle the praying though.

I loved the battle between Crabrawler and Rowlet, it seemed like Rowlet used the tactics he learned at Lillie's house, while keeping his personality.

The battle between Pikachu and Harriyama flowed well, and Ash showed some skill not using the Z move until after Hala used his own. However I agree that the story could have felt more satisfactory had Ash lost.

And of course, Ash doesn't give a ... about what he has to do next. This has to be series with the most confusing story yet. I wouldn't be surprised if after 20 fillers Ash wokes up a day wanting another Z-cristal, then Lana takes him to a lake where he defeats Wishiwashi, then rinse and repeat with Kiawe, Mallow and Sophocles...

I also liked that Satoshi found the praying boring and he wasn't super into it like the goody two shoes he would have been in XY. I wish real-life God would give a squawk to acknowledge that my prayers have been received though... Would be so helpful.
I could buy Ash being bored just as much as I could see him respecting the tradition and go on about feeling powered up afterwards, s'not really an xy thing

Poor Hala, even his god is prefering Satoshi.
Did anyone else feel that the pre-episode quiz by Hala kind of gave the game away in terms of the outcome? I was expecting him to lose but as soon as the question came up about his Z crystal the result seemed obvious. I'm surprised that the complaints on here are so limited.

Wow, I didn't notice that! He even said he'll reveal it in the end.
I also liked that Satoshi found the praying boring and he wasn't super into it like the goody two shoes he would have been in XY.

Like the time before his battle with Fukuji?

096.jpg
091.jpg
075.jpg

I honestly thought Ash was going to lose and then have all of his "friends" watch the rematch. It would have been more satisfactory and would strenght the bond between them but nope...

I really liked Rowlet in this episode. It feels like it,Pikachu and Rotom are Ash's true friends with Kukui being a father figure which is refreshing but makes Mallow and the others kinda pointless. I'm not too bothered but I wish the show stopped trying to make them look like close friends because they aren't, if yo asked me to describe the relationship between Ash and any of his classmates I couldn't do it, it's just non existent.

I liked the episode. It wasn't magnificent or amazing, but I didn't have any issues with it. The Tapu Koko thing is honestly pretty cool; I feel like it's doing subtle foreshadowing. The battle was okay, but I've never been huge into battle/league episodes (in fact, I skipped the league in both XYZ and BW.) I am much more excited for next week than I'd been for this one.

Kakui is amazing to me. I love his character. He's so fatherly and every scene with him and Satoshi makes me smile. The characterization for everyone was on point, and I liked that very much here that no one got lost in the shuffle.

I was hoping to see TR and Bewear, but sadly, they didn't show up.

Kind of late on this so I'll keep it brief. I thought this was a pretty solid first grand trial adaptation. I'm not sure what to think of Ash's S&M battle competence at the moment. It doesn't seem like he was watered down like in B&W but I feel he's a step below the intelligence he showed in X&Y. But I guess he fought well enough. I was more impressed with how they handled Hala's Pokemon. It felt straight out of the game and this guy is definitely a tough customer. Fun fact, this was apparently only the second time the move Knock Off has been shown in the anime and even though it wasn't directly explained, I think they implied that Pikachu holding its Normalium Z caused a lot more damage. All Out Pummeling and Breakneck Blitz were really well animated too.

It had a rocky start but I think S&M is slowly but surely finding its groove. My only hope is that the writers find a way to have a better flow between trials and character episodes than what we've had so far.

What Shoutmon said is very true and is still the most glaring issue in the series. It's improved a lot but they need to start working on Ash's relationship with his classmates. Lillie and Lana had good episodes and Kiawe seems to be getting one next week. They're likable characters in of themselves, but I need a bit more personal interaction between them all because the relationships are losing heavily compared to the X&Y gang right now.

this was apparently only the second time the move Knock Off has been shown in the anime and even though it wasn't directly explained, I think they implied that Pikachu holding its Normalium Z caused a lot more damage.
Fourth time actually. Brawly's Hariyama used it in two separate episodes and Paul's Gliscor used it once, but this is the first time since its Gen VI buff. Pikachu wasn't holding any Normalium Z and that shouldn't have boosted Knock Off anyway.

On the episode itself. The battle was alright, I entirely understand why Hariyama lost like it did, Belly Drum's health slashing drawback shouldn't ever be sold short and it's previously been established that attacks to a Hariyama's feet are particularly effective. Iron Tail can also drop a Pokémon's defense too if we take the games into account, which I'm willing to bet is what happened here.

It's the little things, like the return of XY's VS screen and the use of that Sinnoh Gym soundtrack, which really sold this one for me.

Only took 10 episodes in for me to finally give a review, but man I chose the right episode to re-comeback for (sorry, new laptop, lost passwords, you know how it is...)

Take that you non-believers, you can all wallow in despair that this Ash truly is the same Ash that competed in the Kalos league, or don't if you're actually a true fan of this show. I'm starting to wonder with how well Ash has been doing thus far up to this point, just what the writers were thinking back in BW... I mean that nerf is looking like an asterisk in the shows history at this point.

This episode has a solid opening, middle and end, from Ash nonchalantly going about his business despite being a town/island hero and knowing his Trial battle was happening that day, to him not being use to traditional style meditation, to actually having his battle with Hala. Rowlet either jump up in strength from his previous two battles or the type advantage played a key role in helping him take down a tough opponent in Crabrawler. Either way he still showed his inexperience by tiring himself out forcing Ash to rely on Pikachu to face Hariyama. Either way, Rowlet's shenanigans made his fight pretty entertainin and it was awesome how he helped Ash think of a plan by just being his goofy self. The bird's pretty fast after all. The main even was pretty cool though, seeing Pikachu finally not have overall huge difficultly with the starting region. That's not to say he breezed through Hariyama, so much as he was able to tank his attacks and counter at the right moment.

I'm gonna miss Pikachu using Breakneak Blitz given how awesome the animation for the attack is, but Rowlet using it will be just as cool I suppose. Guess that's fine and all since Pikachu is now fully capable of using GigaVolt Havoc for a strong majority of Sun and Moon until he gets either 10,000 Volt Thunderbolt or CatastroPika (I'd bet more on the former then the ladder)

Hey, I see Ash finally made it into the papers for once! How long will it take for Team Numskull to get wind of this article and realize that he's the trainer who helped Kiawe beat the crap out of them, I wonder.

Ash & Hala up at the altar praying was a nice touch showing what is apparently a tradition for young trial goers when they're about to battle in a Grand Trial.
I really have grown to like Kukui a lot. And I can tolerate his move-based puns more than I can tolerate the puns from Cousin Oak. That opening scene where Ash was feeding the Pokes and then he sat down to eat, and Kukui was reading the paper.... it's just so nice to see Ash have someone in his life who can be a father figure to him.

As for the battle though.....Kukui's constant commentary between scenes just reminds me of Yu-gi-oh and how they were always tossing in comments that explained what was going on while they were dueling. C'mon guys, can we not start doing that schtick with the PokéAnime?

Rowlet is really just an adorable little ball of ditziness. I love it when the little bird comes on screen. It's so expressive in battles when it's being attacked or doing the attacking. Some of the faces it makes at times are just hilarious. I really thought for a bit there that Crabrawler was going to turn Rowlet into cream of owl soup, but then Rowlet manages to pull it out of left field with that tackle attack. I remember when Rowlet battled Oricorio that Ash mentioned it had really strong talons & legs.

I was more concerned, honestly with the way the battle between Hariyama & Pikachu went. Pikachu really got smacked around & beat up pretty bad in this fight. When Hariyama was using Arm Thrust & smacking Pikachu back and forth like a ping pong ball and Ash was just standing there staring, cripes that was brutal. And then finally he yells for Pikachu to dodge it. Geez, you sure you didn't want to wait a little bit longer yet there, Ash? I do think he countered Hariyama's Z-move in the only way he really could that would be effective. Quick Attack really ramped up Pikachu's speed so that it could run in between the hand thrusts and dodge the majority of them. Dear Arceus, that Breakneck Blitz, though. That was some piece of work. I was amused by Ash's comment about feeling the power of being connected to Pikachu. I could make an obvious comment here about something, but I won't.

I really wish Tapu Koko hadn't swiped that Fightinium-Z away. When that happened, my literal first thought was 'But he has a full grown Infernape chillin' back at the ranch'. I know that Pikachu is Ash's number one buddy, but Ash is going to be catching other Pokémon (I hope) to make a team, so who knows if he'll pick up a fighting type? Tapu K ought to let Ash collect whatever Z-Crystals that he can. He might have been able to make use of that Fightinium-Z at some point down the line. Oh, well. *shrugs* I guess maybe the show is going to deviate from the games and there will only be certain Z-Crystals that will be focused on for Ash to get and the rest will fall by the wayside.

All in all, I thought this was a pretty good and enjoyable episode.

As for the battle though.....Kukui's constant commentary between scenes just reminds me of Yu-gi-oh and how they were always tossing in comments that explained what was going on while they were dueling. C'mon guys, can we not start doing that schtick with the PokéAnime?

Aren't they doing this since...Kanto? Basically what Takeshi always do in Gyms.
it's just so nice to see Ash have someone in his life who can be a father figure to him.

It would be better if there is also someone who can be a mother figure to him. :unsure:

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom