• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM012: The Extracurricular Lesson is Hidoide!?

Mimikyu obviously gets the Saiyan rage boost... Or Pikachu is always in utter shock that something hates him despite never knowing the thing. Also, so continues a Rocket Capture dominating a battle only for that ability to be drop once they actually start using it enough. Tough luck Mareanie, your next shining moment in battle will probably be if you evolve.

This episode though = Pure Gold

Well, TR better enjoy their almost-but-not-quite moment of victory, because like Ash in the Kalos League, that's about as close as they'll ever get.

Team Rocket actually won...As in, incapacitated all of Ash's Pokemon on-hand at a given time. Wow.
I'd say a 99% victory. Pikachu was shown to be still able to move afterwards. Had Mimikyu's attack connected, it very likely would've ensured their definite victory. Alas, Bewear had other plans.

Safe to say Bewear isn't gonna get capture either A. At all or B. Not anytime soon

The idea of it being captured was mentioned at least twice in this episode though. I agree: not happening soon and potentially not ever, but the groundwork has been laid if they mean for Kiteruguma to be captured (and I think it would be by Kojiro).

James once more confirming why he is my favourite Pokemon character.

Team Rocket episodes where the attention is away from Ash and co are always serious fun and they should do more of them. I laughed every time Mimikyu just walked past with that sound effect. I especially enjoyed the gag with Cloyster just eating the Pokeball and spitting it back out afterwards. James just going down in a random diver suit only to be almost murdered by Mereanie, Meowth actually getting killed, Team Rocket legitimately beating Ash in a battle... it hit a lot of highs.

The one downside was Bewear popping out and ending the battle for reasons. Thought that was a lame way to end that situation. I would have loved if Team Rocket got carried away and screwed it up instead.

It also looks like the ending got a small change during the z-move dance portion

This episode prove how much I liked SM Team Rocket compared to the XY version. Mereanie was a great addition to the team, as it already has spike cannon and sludge bomb (not that it matters, though), as well as bringing back the old gag of James' Pokemon showing over-the-board affection.
Also, now thinking about it, Ash won most of the time because he had companions with him that helped. I'm not saying Team Rocket will never beat Ash again, they may, but I feel like the main point of this episode was to introduce James' Mereanie.

So much actually happened this episode. We got to see Giovanni and Matori again. They caught Mareanie, they decided to make Bewear's home their base plus they made plans to catch Bewear at some point!

I realise them discussing capturing Bewear doesn't mean they actually will, but they did tell Giovanni and Matori they already had. I can imagine them running into a similar situation at a later point with the boss where he wants to know where the Bewear is so they will not have any other choice than to try and catch it. Either way the reason they're there to begin with is to capture more Pokemon and their superiors seem pretty eager in them doing so, so hopefully this means Jessie and James gets at least one more Pokemon each. I can't be the only one waiting for a Salandit for Jessie?

When I look at TR in this series, I just look at XY and realized how boring XY TR was, compared to now.

Not to mention the fact they have way more interesting Pokemon in this series.

Team Rocket nearly beating Ash... I don't have any words for this. I'd say this is my favorite Sun & Moon episode to date.

I will admit, it was nice to see a beach episode again, but, the fact that TR was so close to beating Ash did not sit well with me and i cannot for the life of me understand why so many people would think that that was a good thing.

Ash could have been dangerously close to losing his pokemon and this sort of thing implies that he can't defend himself against the TRio without help, how is any of that good?

It sort of spoils the episode for me.

It's a good thing because, firstly, it establishes Team Rocket as an actual threat, at least when they're teaming up on one person. A more threatening Team Rocket means Ash has to work harder for his victories. A TR that is threatening and an Ash that has to work harder means future battles could be a lot more unpredictable than they ever have been. This makes the show more entertaining as a result.

It was also just plain funny.

It's a good thing because, firstly, it establishes Team Rocket as an actual threat, at least when they're teaming up on one person. A more threatening Team Rocket means Ash has to work harder for his victories. A TR that is threatening and an Ash that has to work harder means future battles could be a lot more unpredictable than they ever have been. This makes the show more entertaining as a result.

It was also just plain funny.
And the fact some people have been waiting 19 years for this.

But, i repeat, Ash was dangerously close to losing his pokemon with only a random event saving them. What if Ash had lost completely, huh, what then?

I loved it. It was awesome and the first episode on the sun and moon series that I laughed and I have to thank mimikyu and meowth's temporary death for that. The only think I was a little dissapointed about was that mareanie was caught on a normal pokeball instead of a special one like mimikyu. But that is just me and my weird problems. 9.5/10

But, i repeat, Ash was dangerously close to losing his pokemon with only a random event saving them. What if Ash had lost completely, huh, what then?

There would have been a whole segment with Ash going to retrieve his Pokémon. Simple as that. This is the anime, and bad actions aren't left unpunished (most of the times).

But the fact remains; he got outfought by Team Rocket, what does that say about Ash if he can't protect his pokemon from a trio that has failed time and again due to their own incompetence? Ash was about to lose all of his pokemon in his swimsuit. That just bothers me to no end! Couldn't they have made it look like Pikachu could still battle and was ready to take Mimikyu's attack head on and still be able to keep fighting? That would have made it look like Ash could have still won.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom