• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM012: The Extracurricular Lesson is Hidoide!?

Team Rocket was at their finest this episode. It was great to see James catch a Mareanie and Meowth DYING when he saw Mimikyu's true form was hilarious. Also, I love the genuine joy they felt when they actually took down Ash, who I'm starting to get tired of seeing getting beaten by Mimikyu. Great episode thanks to Team Rocket

This episode was so good!
Everything good about it was already mentioned, but I have to stress the fact that it is so GREAT to have a reference to their original Pokémon! This alone is worth everything. If I recall correctly, this is the first reference to Koffing/Weezing we have ever had during episodes (Weezing did appear in an ending during BW, I think so, but aside from that we've had nothing), while Ekans/Arbok has been referenced at least twice (That Arbok shaped flute Jessie used in a contest and that Arbok stuffed doll that was in Jessie's room at the evil Togepi episode - both during DP). Victreebel itself has been mentioned more that once, but Weezing wasn't so lucky up until today. So it is great to see that no, Arbok and Weezing haven't been forgotten. It also confirms that Sun and Moon is bringing continuity back in some manner! I wonder what the future awaits for continuity!
Aside from Ekans and Koffing, it was nice how Team Rocket established a new base, how they mentioned they want to capture Bewear (I really wonder what will come out of this...) and, obviously, James capturing Mareanie. And everything else about the episode, Mimikyu was excellent too.

Oh, and today we got to hear their SM motto theme played in the background more than once, and if I am not wrong we were able to listen to fragments of it that we haven't ever listened to!

But, i repeat, Ash was dangerously close to losing his pokemon with only a random event saving them. What if Ash had lost completely, huh, what then?
Let's see how much times TR actually got Pikachu for a brief time (with Ash chasing them)
a good amount. Like Pilot of DP, 89th episode of Advanced Generation, etc.

Oh yeh, and anime physics

I must echo the sentiments of everyone who praised this episode. It was perfection from start to finish. For someone like me who tends to look forward only to battle-heavy episodes, it was a pleasant surprise.

Absolutely loved that Rocket-Dan actually took down Satoshi's team. When Musashi turned to the camera all starry-eyed in disbelief, I was staring right back in disbelief too!

Also, I have this weird fascination and disgust at the same time with Mimikyu. It's so weird but I love how berserk it goes whenever it sees Pikachu.

If this is how Rocket-Dan episodes will be this saga, I want MANY.

The episode was decent, but I expected something better. I smiled a few times but I did not laugh once, and I have laughed with most SM episodes. I like Mareanie's romantic personality, Mimikyu, Meowth and Wobbuffet had great moments, and I liked seeing the group playing together. However, the plot wasn't the most organized, and James has that "awkward Jessie follower" personality from XY, instead of the sentimental entussiast personality he had in earlier series.

I love how casual Meowth is when he says that he 'went to the other world' again. And I like that Mareanie that claws onto James' face.

James has that "awkward Jessie follower" personality from XY, instead of the sentimental entussiast personality he had in earlier series.
What do you mean? If anything he was at his most awkward-follower status in AG/early DP and has been far more of a leader in his own right from then onwards. In fact in all we've seen of SM so far, including this episode. she has been dull (compared to "normal") and he has been motivating the team!

This episode made me so happy. SO. HAPPY.

I wasn't sure before if Hidoide was going to be a Pokemon I'd like, but this episode proved me wrong. I'm really glad she has such an apparent personality right away. Really did laugh out loud during the "sparkly bishounen Kojirou" shot. This was truly an episode to go in the history books for Kojirou (and TR) fans. Also loved his super dorky swimsuit.

TR (just about) defeating Satoshi... OMG. Greatness! Too bad about Kiteruguma, but at least they're feeling pampered by it this time as opposed to just miserably enduring its adoration (Kiteruguma is truly all us TRio stans in Pokemon form).

Nitpicking... Would have liked a little less of the others frolicking on the beach so much and more shenanigans by the TRio, but this episode was excellent in any case. Animation and design was a little rough, but there's certainly been worse.

Also loving Sonansu here...such concern.

tumblr_oke14fnsZ11s8hp1fo1_1280.png

What do you mean? If anything he was at his most awkward-follower status in AG/early DP and has been far more of a leader in his own right from then onwards. In fact in all we've seen of SM so far, including this episode. she has been dull (compared to "normal") and he has been motivating the team!

That's the impression I got, he seemed a bit more introvert in XY, and his lack of focus didn't help. It may be a matter of voice acting in my dub through.

I seriously think Mimikyu is all powerful because of it's hatred for Pikachu, it holds nothing back when it attacks him.

The amount of nightmare fuel faces in this series is just outstanding.

Admittedly, I wasn't too excited about a TR-centric episode, but man did this deliver! It was actually really fun to see what Team Rocket does when they're not chasing Ash and Pikachu around. I feel like I started tiring of them because their appearances felt like the same thing over and over again, but this was something different, and it was FUN. Mimikyu is terrifying, and Wobbuffett, even when he was just in the background, was cracking me up. Him praying for James was pure gold.

The classmates are still adorable. Right now, the writers are doing a good job giving a little bit of focus to all of them. I'm still concerned about how they're going to hold this up in the long run, but for now it's still working well! They also did a good job evenly splitting the time between the classmates and Team Rocket. The cuts to each one never felt awkward, and I felt that we got a fair amount of time with both groups.

Ash basically losing to Team Rocket? AWESOME. I adore Ash, but I get so sick of him winning constantly and never, ever struggling, especially against Team Rocket. It was so nice for once to watch them get the better of him and actually cause some significant damage! I loved their "victory poses" and Ash's look of shock.

Also, I love how Rotomdex is basically the anime equivalent of a salty Pokémon fan. When it's watching Ash splashing Sophocles and says something along the lines of "why is he using his hands? 50% of the water slips through, and he only has a 30% chance of winning." Come on, Rotomdex, let the kid have some fun! The self awareness so far has been hilarious.

My other favorite part? The Ekans and Koffing lures! I love how much continuity has been in SM so far, even when it's small things like that.

I wonder if, in the case of the Rocket's Pokémon, the SM anime will be the opposite of the XY anime, with Kojirou having the fully evolved Dohidoide and Musashi having just a single-stage Pokémon which Mimikyu is already?

I wonder if, in the case of the Rocket's Pokémon, the SM anime will be the opposite of the XY anime, with Kojirou having the fully evolved Dohidoide and Musashi having just a single-stage Pokémon which Mimikyu is already?
Probably. It makes sense.

I can't believe my wish came true, Matori went from a minor silent character who didn't do anything to have the honor of being called a "bob-haired four-eyes" by Jessie! Kinda funny in hindsight, considering it's thanks to her the TRio is where they are right now.

That's the impression I got, he seemed a bit more introvert in XY, and his lack of focus didn't help. It may be a matter of voice acting in my dub through.
It must be because I cannot think of him as introverted in XY and he was not the team member lacking focus! How bizarre.

I've said it before and i'll say it again; i just don't get why people see it as a good thing that TR actually defeated Ash in a fair battle. You all do realize that a victory for the TRio means that Ash loses whatever amount of Pokemon that he has right?

And what did he do to deserve this? He was just wandering around, looking for a wild Pokemon to observe as per Prof. K's assignment. Then, out of virtually nowhere, he runs into TR and does little more than defend himself and his pokemon. But, then, his pokemon are overwhelmed by TR and he's left with no third one to call out. He could have lost Pikachu and Rowlet in one fell swoop while wearing swim trunks, and you all think it's a good thing that TR won?

It never sits well with me in certain cases when the good guy is about to lose with only a last minute technicality or unforeseen detail saving them. It gives the impression that they couldn't have handled the situation otherwise and what does that say about their abilities?

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom