• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM012: The Extracurricular Lesson is Hidoide!?

I've said it before and i'll say it again; i just don't get why people see it as a good thing that TR actually defeated Ash in a fair battle. You all do realize that a victory for the TRio means that Ash loses whatever amount of Pokemon that he has right?

And what did he do to deserve this? He was just wandering around, looking for a wild Pokemon to observe as per Prof. K's assignment. Then, out of virtually nowhere, he runs into TR and does little more than defend himself and his pokemon. But, then, his pokemon are overwhelmed by TR and he's left with no third one to call out. He could have lost Pikachu and Rowlet in one fell swoop while wearing swim trunks, and you all think it's a good thing that TR won?

It never sits well with me in certain cases when the good guy is about to lose with only a last minute technicality or unforeseen detail saving them. It gives the impression that they couldn't have handled the situation otherwise and what does that say about their abilities?
Well, when you put it that way...

Best episode of SM so far. Wacky, fun episode writing and Natsume's expressive art coupled with Iwane's battle animation was an awesome combo. And TR haven't had Pokemon these memorable since... forever, it feels like. Hidoide and Mimikyu are just fucking great mons all around.

Only problem I'm having is Bewear. That gag was funny in the beginning, but now... I just want it to go away. It doesn't feel satisfying when the TR skirmishes never reach any proper conclusion.

I've said it before and i'll say it again; i just don't get why people see it as a good thing that TR actually defeated Ash in a fair battle. You all do realize that a victory for the TRio means that Ash loses whatever amount of Pokemon that he has right?

And what did he do to deserve this? He was just wandering around, looking for a wild Pokemon to observe as per Prof. K's assignment. Then, out of virtually nowhere, he runs into TR and does little more than defend himself and his pokemon. But, then, his pokemon are overwhelmed by TR and he's left with no third one to call out. He could have lost Pikachu and Rowlet in one fell swoop while wearing swim trunks, and you all think it's a good thing that TR won?

It never sits well with me in certain cases when the good guy is about to lose with only a last minute technicality or unforeseen detail saving them. It gives the impression that they couldn't have handled the situation otherwise and what does that say about their abilities?
Well technically Ash was the one who initiated the battle, since Pikachu triggered Mimikyu. Team Rocket wasn't even planning to attack Ash until that moment. Plus, he has his allies to help him get his Pokemon back if he does lose his Pokemon. You also need to realize that this episode mainly focused on how Mareinie became part of James' team, and defeating Ash showed how powerful it can get, now meaning that TR actually is a threat to Ash, despite the fact they done virtually nothing to him since episode 4. If you don't get it, then I'll respect your opinion, but this is why I saw it as a good thing: it makes the SM anime a bit more exciting.

So I guess Musashi and Matori have a little rivalry going on now or something?
It was these kind of little characterisation touches which made this episode so wholesome.

The other dynamic I'm really looking forward to seeing (if it'll) develop is Nyasu & Mimikyu. Or I guess, kind of, EVERYONE and Mimikyu. I can't imagine that the established status quo of its character will persist till the end of the series, so I'm quite excited to see where they take its arc.
IHe could have lost Pikachu and Rowlet in one fell swoop while wearing swim trunks, and you all think it's a good thing that TR won?
I just have to know, what is the pertinence of the trunks?
Only problem I'm having is Bewear. That gag was funny in the beginning, but now... I just want it to go away.
I'm still enjoying it but I have to agree that it is a gag with an expiry date. My theory is that the writers know this and are pushing it as far as they can, until eventually (as I'm convinced this episode set up!) Kojiro will capture it.

I don't even think there's a problem with Ash looking "weak" or "incompetent" here. In the first place, it's a 2v1 fight. Ash may be using two Pokemon but he can't keep his eye on two Pokemon at once. He had to focus on Mareanie shooting at Rowlet in the air while Mimikyu and Pikachu fought on the ground. Mimikyu is fighting with no commands from Jessie so its movements are completely unpredictable. Rowlet goes down to poison so now Pikachu has to fight two at once and ends up blindsided. He's got no allies on hand to jump in and give him time to regroup and he has no other Pokemon on hand.

It reminds me of an episode in AG where Ash only had Pikachu and had to fight Arbok and Weezing alone. He was losing until Norman stepped in and helped. It's acceptable for Ash to struggle in these situations.

Oh my God why are people trying to defend Ash for losing!? Butthurt much or just biased?

Because it makes no sense to go to such lengths to say "Ash can't keep an eye on two sides at once" since he's been in double battles before and y'all get really funny but illogical. TR winning shook every platform where people can comment for some reason and it's literally the most entertaining salt fest since the Kalos League.

Every double battle he's been in before has either been against one trainer using two Pokemon or tag battles. He had one battle against two trainers at once back in AG, got his arse handed to him and needed a dues ex machina to win.

So no, it's not illogical to say he can't keep eyes on two things at once in those circumstances.

Last edited:
Not to mention Mimikyu is very powerful (maybe the strongest Rocket mon yet?) and Rowlet is still a noob. It was a believable loss.
If I saw my worst enemy who I truly had an extreme grudge with, I would nearly OH'KO him with a Shadow Claw too to be honest.

Because a lot of us enjoy Team Rocket as characters more than Ash. And it's always nice seeing them be able to actually put up a fight rather than lose instantly.

I don't think Ash is leaving the school for awhile given 1) in the last episode they were able to travel between islands briefly 2) On episode 12 TR has declared the den their secret base.

guys.

The Rocket trio actually defeating Satoshi only to have Kiteruguuma come in at the last second and prevent them from delivering the finishing blow was merely a funny way to end the episode.

It wasn't a statement on how much Satoshi sucks now as a Trainer.
It wasn't some grand declaration that the Rocket trio are now a threat.
It wasn't the writers sadistically picking on Satoshi to upset his fans.
It wasn't some ploy to make us hate the Kiteruguma gag.

It was just. a. joke.

guys.

The Rocket trio actually defeating Satoshi only to have Kiteruguuma come in at the last second and prevent them from delivering the finishing blow was merely a funny way to end the episode.

It was just. a. joke.
Well if you put it that way, nothing in the anime would make sense. We all love taking everything apart

guys.

It was just. a. joke.
I get they couldn't have Team Rocket actually win, but there could've been a way better way to stop them from winning. I saw Bewear coming a mile away when Mimikyu was delivering the finishing blow.

Then you, my friend, were not as immersed in the action as you should have been!
I mean, if not for the fact that the Bewear gag was used too many times Team Rocket showed up this series, I'd be a lot more excited. But, seeing them actually almost getting ready to truly win after all the years; very, very satisfying.

Oh my God why are people trying to defend Ash for losing!? Butthurt much or just biased?

Because it makes no sense to go to such lengths to say "Ash can't keep an eye on two sides at once" since he's been in double battles before and y'all get really funny but illogical. TR winning shook every platform where people can comment for some reason and it's literally the most entertaining salt fest since the Kalos League.
It's pretty much no different then people making the claims that Ash really has gotten nerfed since he's never had his team wiped out in the past by Team Rocket. You got two extreme's here, one side that hates the show because reasons and the other side who's willing to jump through hoops to defend the shows integrity given the backlash it received from just the change in design.

I thought it was pretty funny to see Team Rocket actually succeed at something only to get cut short like always. Plus it makes it known Ash isn't invincible, despite his sweeping of Hala's Kahuna battle.

It's pretty much no different then people making the claims that Ash really has gotten nerfed since he's never had his team wiped out in the past by Team Rocket. You got two extreme's here, one side that hates the show because reasons and the other side who's willing to jump through hoops to defend the shows integrity given the backlash it received from just the change in design.

I thought it was pretty funny to see Team Rocket actually succeed at something only to get cut short like always. Plus it makes it known Ash isn't invincible, despite his sweeping of Hala's Kahuna battle.

Yes, I believe there are people who don't see the fine line between anime logic and real life logic because they try to implement real life or even game logic (battle mechanics from the game have little to no importance in the anime).

Also, Rowlet is still a Pokemon who's just starting to battle (before that only fetching food for the nest), while Mimikyu was/is shown to be very strong and very mean spirited towards Pikachu.

While I did also see the Bewear gag coming, the way it just took off by rolling on the ground totally caught me off guard.
It's the little details like these that make good comedy scenes.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom