• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM020: Satoshi and Pikachu, the Promise between Them

In terms of writers, no. In terms of animation studios, there is an actual studio who handled the XY animation that left to do those Youtube specials and I guess the movie as well. S&M is clearly being handled by a very different animation studio.

In terms of writers, no. In terms of animation studios, there is an actual studio who handled the XY animation that left to do those Youtube specials and I guess the movie as well. S&M is clearly being handled by a very different animation studio.
Did you ever watch the ending sequence for an episode of SM and compared that to one of XY? If you did, you'd actually know both are animated by OLM, Team Kato.

I have mixed feelings about this episode.

On the one hand, if I take it at face value, it was certainly an upbeat, light-hearted romp through an island that Ash wanted to explore.
On the other hand, if I look at it from the view point of it was supposed to be a 20th anniversary episode, it totally missed the mark for me.

Really the only thing in this episode that I could even reference as being a very vague allusion to being a 20th anniv episode was Ash's monologue in the (roughly) middle of the show. Him and Pikachu are sitting on that log eating their sugary lunch and Ash is talking to Pikachu.
*If* the English sub I found was a halfways decent translation, Ash said something about he remembers the day he and Pikachu met in Prof Oak's lab. And they've had many battles since then. And now he's here in Alola and has made friends with <insert names of classmates and etc>.
I mean, what?
You've had many battles?
Okay, um, Ash, you've traveled through 6 regions now and one non-region-affiliated island group. But, okay, sure, let's just go with "We've had many battles". Whatever.

Anyway, moving on....

I'm not sure why the girls felt they needed to have a guy go with them to the new store to go shopping. I mean there's 3 of them, and they all have their Pokemon with them. Especially Mao's newly evolved Steenee which is certainly stronger in its 2nd stage form. I'm pretty sure they could have taken care of themselves without needing one of the boys around.

The romp through the island was, in and of itself, a very relaxing string of scenes to watch. From all the adorable Cutieflies and the Comfrey giving Ash its lei, to playing with the Alolan Exeggutor to the Wimpod trying to steal their sugary lunch and almost getting away with it. And then the scene with Ash & Pikachu rescuing the trapped Wimpod was nice. It was sweet that it turned around and came back to thank him. And then, finally, Tapu Lele comes soaring right up near Ash, almost seemingly on purpose, so he can get a good look at it.

(I actually kinda want Ash to catch a Wimpod for no reason other than seeing him face off with his Golisopod against Guzma's Golisopod when we eventually get to that point in the story.)

So, yeah, this was a nice, run of the mill sort of episode. Not really anything particularly exciting. And I just really can't say that it lived up to being a 20th Anniv special. At least not for me, anyhow.

Finally got around to this episode. I actually thought it was cute! Yes, nothing of significance happened save for Ash seeing Tapu Lele. But I love the atmosphere and tone of Alola/SM enough that an episode like this doesn't bother me the way they did during past sagas. The music and the visuals made it a gorgeous, easy watch, even with the smaller plot line.

I did like getting another close look at Ash and Pikachu's friendship. We all know how close they are, but it's nice to see that in isolation, with the focus on the two of them, and a minor callback to their beginning (meeting at Oak's lab) along with a reaffirmation of their goal together.

The classmates in this episode also continued to prove why I enjoy the role they're currently playing and what they add to this specific series as "companions." They were a nice minor addition to the episode, didn't stay longer than they were needed, weren't taking up space or just wasting away in the background. I absolutely love getting to see the classmates and learn more about them in little bits and pieces such as this. They can be in episodes, give us some of that, and then if they're not needed the rest of the episode, they don't have to be there and aren't just useless filler. It was fun to see the guys lamenting the girls' love of shopping, as well as Kiawe starting off a chain of the actual "I have to go right now immediately" meme.

I think it was fine for a 20th anniversary special. Not super memorable and it could've been way more, but since they've tried hyping the movie up as the main celebration (though that seems to be faltering now too...) I'm okay with the episode being more low key.

I liked the opening gag but thought it was kinda disappointing the promise wasn't a bigger or important moment.

I thought it would be something like defeat a strong opponent or not give up on being Pokemon master. Something concrete enough to have a failure condition or something grand enough to take their partnership to a whole other level. Instead we just get become stronger here.

Also a bit of a cocktease how Wimpod swam back to Ash. Kinda seemed like Ash made the same mistake I did about Wimpod's desire.

No Ash Wimpod 7/10

@Flynn it's always team B's fault.

Well, after Sunday's episode that Ash and Pikachu moment where he's talking about Alola in this one just had a whole new meaning.

I don’t think “whole new meaning” is the right wording. It’s more like SM144 reinforced the message of this episode and brought it full circle.

I don’t think “whole new meaning” is the right wording. It’s more like SM144 reinforced the message of this episode and brought it full circle.
That's the kind of message I was trying to write. Kind of rushed it out before going to sleep which is why it sounds odd.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom