• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM021: Nyabby, Time to Begin the Journey!

I actually really like how the show handled the departure of Stoutland. In the games, "death" is a very obvious concept with places like Lavender Tower and Memorial Hill existing where people mourn at the graves of the departed Pokemon. But the show adds some mystique to it, aside from really catering to younger children by not making death so obvious.

But I'm still at a loss as to what the goal of the series is. He's not partaking in the island trials the same way a player in the game would, and half the trial captains are his 'schoolmates' at the school.

Boring us maybe?

TBH, I ain't watching this series.

But guys, Bulbapedia refuses to say stoutland died so obviously he must not be. (Sarcasm)

It's alive and it will be back in a telenovela fashion revealing to be Rockruff's papi!!!!

On serious note though, the anime made it as subtle as possible, but throughout the 3 episode arc of Litten, we have enough evidence to believe Stoutland's time to go to doggy heaven has come.

Since the target demographic of the anime is kids mostly, they couldn't straight up make Stoutland die on screen. Leaving to pass away alone was the best thing and it is actually what some animals do in real life.

And since it was only implied without any confirmation, Bulbapedia can't really make up a fact. All they can do is say it went away, but the early edits on the episode page said that death was implied (which is true), but I'm wondering why it was changed.

I liked this episode and I think the passing of Stoutland was handled very well. The use of the falling leaves throughout the episode was a very effective storytelling technique to let us know how much of Stoutland's time was passing and how much time it had left.

I have to give props to Ash for maintaining his composure at the sight of Stoutland lying weakened on the concrete and just jumping in determinedly to take it to the PokeCenter so it will receive the care it needs. The conversation between Nurse Joy & Ash was pretty obvious even though the door was closed and we didn't hear it.

I also liked how Kukui was really supportive for both Ash and Litten, too, and he gave Ash a lot of leeway in regards to going to Litten and being with it during this time of upheaval in its young life.

I also was feeling that the seemingly sudden hard left turn that Litten made after seeing Stoutland in the clouds was a little too convenient, and I had to think about this for awhile.
I remember early in the episode, after Litten stole the doughnut and Ash was going to give Stoutland a piece of fruit, that Litten attacked Ash with ember. And Stoutland jumped down off the sofa to fuss at Litten for doing that. It makes me wonder if ~off camera~ Stoutland might have been trying to express to Litten that he thinks Ash is a pretty good person and Litten shouldn't brush him off so much.
And then there is Stoutland trying so hard to teach Litten how to use FireFang. Perhaps trying to make sure that Litten would be prepared to defend itself properly after Stoutland was no longer around?
I'm thinking that maybe after Litten saw Stoutland in the clouds, it was perhaps a sign of permission given to Litten to be happy that there was someone else that was right there and willing to be its new caretaker, and that person of course was Ash. Maybe Litten was relieved that it had someone else it could turn to so it wouldn't end up alone like it was afraid it would? (I'm referencing that dream sequence from a few episodes back)

I'm thinking that Litten giving Ash that berry was an offering it was making to Ash to indicate that it wanted to be a part of Ash's life and have Ash be a part of its life as well. But like Meowth said, it still wanted to test Ash by having him battle it.

Anyway, I'm not really sure why the writers wanted to have Litten turn around so suddenly after pushing back against Ash for so long a time. We'll probably never know. I was just trying to puzzle out a possible reason why it might have happened like it did.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom