• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM023: Shocking! Dugtrio Split Up!?

(Something tells me you're not going to like this either Jonno...)

Who wore it better?
tumblr_inline_nkrpqcN3tI1r2vvri.png
QuZGtJ5.png

Hilarious, but also makes me miss the XY art style...

I can barely take Kiawe seriously anymore due to that gag, and he was one of the few characters I genuinely liked. Now they are ruining even him with the surplus of humor.
Different strokes I guess... Kaki started out as my least favourite because I thought they were going to edgelordify him, which they have quite nicely sidestepped and he's now vying with Suiren for the top spot in my list.
Hilarious, but also makes me miss the XY art style...
That was Iwane (his best episode in XY if you ask me) so just tell yourself it doesn't count! I can find you a million and one horrible caps of XY Musashi if it'll make you feel better.

(Something tells me you're not going to like this either Jonno...)

Who wore it better?
tumblr_inline_nkrpqcN3tI1r2vvri.png
QuZGtJ5.png
James's hair reminds me of a character from Naruto.

I can barely take Kiawe seriously anymore due to that gag, and he was one of the few characters I genuinely liked. Now they are ruining even him with the surplus of humor.

Don't forget, he's the same character that can take a fast flying Togedemaru to the face in SM008 and not react one bit. He's still a serious character, he just is passionate about Dugleo. The only other time he wasn't "serious" was in SM017, but in all fairness, he was being falsely accused of stealing something.

For me, this is just a boring filler with a misleading title and having the same formula as most episodes before "Sun and Moon" (eg: Character of the Day, Team Rocket stealing a Pokémon, Ash being the designated hero again, having the secondary main characters be walking background). A big letdown after SM021's more interesting plot.

Different strokes I guess... Kaki started out as my least favourite because I thought they were going to edgelordify him, which they have quite nicely sidestepped and he's now vying with Suiren for the top spot in my list.

Eh, some variety on the cast would be nice. I don't really like how Matsui & co feel the need to comedy-fy everyone. Kaki balanced it up nicely with his seriousness in the beginning but now they are all just a bunch of gag characters. It gets tiresome after a while.

This episode was written by Ayumi Sekine who also wrote the Bounsweet evo episode. So far not impressed.

The difference between Tomioka and the rest of the writers is gigantic.

I guess most people have never seen the next episode preview for SM002 where Kaki's screaming at the top of his lungs at Satoshi and Mao for "disrespecting" Kapu-Kokeko? He was never supposed to be just a serious / stoic character.

It was a fun episode, though Meowth rapping did bring me back to the memories of my least favourite Best Wishes! ending.

Also, even in the games, Kiawe's trial with the dancing Marowak is presented as something more comedic, and it was probably one of the most gag based trials in the games, so even adaptation wise, using Kiawe in a humorous fashion doesn't seem off to me. Regardless, I enjoy watching his antics and his overly passionate displays of emotion.

Yeah, I would've not been happy if Kiawe was written solely as an edgelord. I always took it that he was supposed to be somewhat stoic, but above all else, passionate, hence his grandfather telling him not to become a "flame of destruction." That's why I'm never thrown off by him yelling or going over the top on occasion.

Wow! All this because of my review of the episode.

Ever since I said kiawe looked like a wimp because he was crying pretty much every time the camera was on him. And that seems to be all ya'll are talking about, whether you dislike/like him being childish in this episode.

That's pretty crazy!

If this was directed at me, what's your point?
Don't worry, I was going to post it anyway. I just wanted to poke fun at your aversion to all things "girly" - crying, fashion .etc .etc.
Eh, some variety on the cast would be nice. I don't really like how Matsui & co feel the need to comedy-fy everyone. Kaki balanced it up nicely with his seriousness in the beginning but now they are all just a bunch of gag characters. It gets tiresome after a while.
But in real life there is no such thing as a "serious" person and a "gag" person. Everyone has serious and funny sides to them, which come out in different situations. The SM anime has taken a more lighthearted approach so, quite rightly, everyone feels a little quirkier than in XY which was far more linear. Even in XY the characters were still childish and playful (apart from Lord Alan of the Edge), just they were in a very serious situation for the last few months of the series which is all we can remember.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom