• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM024: Alola! The First Visiting Day!!

I was really looking forward to this episode and it did not disappoint! I absolutely loved that Delia came to visit Ash and the Pokémon School. I love her character and think it's a shame how little she's been used recently. Her adoration for Ash's Pokémon and watching her try and control Litten in battle were such great parts of the episode. I really hope this isn't the last time we see her during this saga!

Ash trying to write his presentation, and then cheating with it, was so funny. I also wish Kukui had perhaps been a little more harsh on Ash for cheating, but considering the project wasn't seemingly for a grade and was only meant to be a perspective on Alola for the visitation day, I think it's okay for Kukui to tell Ash "that was wrong" and then ask him to try again from his own experiences. It certainly wasn't enough to ruin the episode for me.

I also want to see more of the other families! I loved seeing Lana's mom with Harper and Sarah (who are so cute) and Sophocles' parents again. I already said it before, but I liked the touch of having Mallow and Kiawe's parents working. I really hope they all get some more appearances in the future. I would've liked some more foreshadowing on Lillie's family situation here, but again, it wasn't something that bothered me that much.

Team Skull's appearance seemed kind of shoe horned in and rushed, so that was probably my least favorite part of the episode. But it did mean we got to see Delia battle, so I can forgive that!

This is the first variation of 'Pose' I've seen. And Ash was holding Pikachu in the catastropika manner. Was it there before?
That particular scene was there always.

As for the current versions made so far:
1: The original.
2: A slight change in the Z-Move segment, where Rotom-Dex was no longer being attacked.
3: Lillie holding an Egg.
4: Lillie and Alolan Vulpix.
5: Mallow's Bounsweet evolving into Steenee.
6: The current version.

The first half was so-so. Being yourself while you are doing a presentation is a good lesson to teach to kids, but the presentation itself was boring. There were no posters and no professional teaching at all. And while I like seeing a new parent, it didn't have the reunion feel I expected. Also, we didn't see the others' presentation, not even in a montage.

The Team Skull part was a mess. It's like the writer was unsure about having Delia commanding Litten, having Ash protecting Delia and having Ash and Delia battling together, so we got all 3 in quick succesion. Also, Team Skull didn't have much of a spark, they are the same generic thugs from their last appareances. I liked the foreshadowing to the next episode through.

Delia had some moments, but overall she didn't make much of an impact.

Delia and Mimey count as "past references" in my book so this episode is like a gift to me. She only commanded like, one or two attacks, but the mere fact we got to see her jumping into action after all these years is nice.

I also love Mimey having a scene in the ending. Part of me wonders if Jessie+Wobbuffet would've been a better choice (instead of cramming them all in with Meowth and Bewear), but I still liked how it turned out.

The episode was good, it was nice to see Delia again beyond the beginning and end of a series hopefully we can see her more. Honestly beyond Delia's appearance their wasn't anything that interesting about the episode, not even the Team Skull battle or Z-Move, its better than the last 2 filler episode but it doesn't have that much I find interesting, its a solid 5/10 for me and average episode despite Delia's appearance.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom