• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM026: Farewell, Mamane!

C_ifsfiWsAEZGpr.jpg

*sob*

Hmm...one on hand, this gave Sophocles some desperately needed focus. And the other classmates too!
...but on the other, he didn't get any real development.

It was a good episode, but he really IS looking more and more like a poor man's Clemont :cautious:

but on the other, he didn't get any real development.
Well, he kinda got some development, but it was negative development. Don't you feel that he sorta manipulated his friends into doing all that stuff for him when he already knew halfway through the episode that he was literally just moving down the street?

I don't think it was completely manipulative. I mean sure, he enjoyed the free stuff that he shouldn't have, but he did keep mentioning the fact that he was afraid to tell them, which I think is understandable. Sometimes when people lie or keep something from people, they worry about whether or not they should tell them or not, and every time they decide to keep the lie going or not speak out, they put themselves in situations that decreasingly become worse and worse. Should be have spoke up sooner? Absolutely, but it's not like the first time he should have spoken out that he was lying to anyone, he just assumed the worse after talking to his parents and his parents didn't give him every detail. And after seeing how nice his classmates were, even Kiawe, who isn't the warmest (no pun intended) person, and how willing they each were to forgive him, probably means that he won't do that sort of thing in the future. I doubt the writers will allow him to do that again, because then he would come across as a mean character and I don't think the writers want people to see him as such.

So, that was click bait after all...
Nice move writers, giving him another pokemon. Less focus for Togedemaru...
Easily one of the worst episodes in a while.
GENERAL SCORE: 3/10.

I don't think it was completely manipulative. I mean sure, he enjoyed the free stuff that he shouldn't have, but he did keep mentioning the fact that he was afraid to tell them, which I think is understandable. Sometimes when people lie or keep something from people, they worry about whether or not they should tell them or not, and every time they decide to keep the lie going or not speak out, they put themselves in situations that decreasingly become worse and worse. Should be have spoke up sooner? Absolutely, but it's not like the first time he should have spoken out that he was lying to anyone, he just assumed the worse after talking to his parents and his parents didn't give him every detail. And after seeing how nice his classmates were, even Kiawe, who isn't the warmest (no pun intended) person, and how willing they each were to forgive him, probably means that he won't do that sort of thing in the future. I doubt the writers will allow him to do that again, because then he would come across as a mean character and I don't think the writers want people to see him as such.
That was an almost perfect response.

Except I don't buy the reason that he was scared to tell his friends the truth.

Here's a real life example that actually happened to me:

When I was in the 10th grade in high school, my dad told me that I might be getting home schooled. I was pretty excited because I couldn't wait to get out of that place. But I was also kinda sad because I would lose some friends...friends I've known since the 7th or 8th grade.

When I got to school, I immediately told all my friends and teachers that there's a good possibility I might be home schooled. Except I told them "It's not final. It's just a thought. I may not be home schooled after all" that way they wouldn't be that worried.

You see what i'm getting at here? It's not right to be getting free stuff off of them just because you're afraid they'll be mad. Just exactly how mad can they get? You're still going to be around to see them. And they're still going to be around to see you.

This is a show targeting a younger audience, we all know that. But what exactly is the message they're trying to get across here? That you should use a potentially somber moment to mooch off your friends and get stuff you were never supposed to get?

What was the point of the charjabug capture? It was supposed to be an emotional capture, because it was a going-away present. But since sophocles is going nowhere all the meaning and emotion of that scene was sucked right out.

The only purpose that the charjabug capture served was to quiet the fans of ash getting a vikavolt. They were saying " Nope, sophocles is going to be getting a vikavolt. Can ya'll be quiet now"?

Yes you did but see your personality and Sophocles are probably completely different meaning that you would both take different actions and react in different ways. Besides at first Sophocles didn't even want to tell them he was moving, he only told because they relised he was acting differently and so asked him why.

Personally, I like to think that the Charjabug represents Ash's strong friendship with his classmates, including Sophocles.

This is one of my favourite episodes of the series so far! So, so real. I went through the motions with Maamane - there were tears in my eyes when I believed he was leaving... I felt that horror when I realised he had made a big fuss about nothing... my heart almost burst with love at the warm gestures and relief of his friends that he wasn't leaving!

All the kids shone in this episode. Kaki - stoic but sentimental. Lillie - polite but emotional. Mao & Satoshi naturally leading, with bundles of energy and limited capacity to manage feelings. Suiren - the quiet but actually mature and insightful one. And Maamane who really is a 10-year-old-boy in his character!

I also agree that Maamane wasn't being manipulative. As well as the sensible reasoning already put forward by others, the pleasure he derived from the gifts his friends gave him clearly made him very uncomfortable.

Awesome art this episode with A LOT of standout scenes. I'm so bad at telling - which series was the ironic sad violin music which played early in this episode from? I know we've had several versions...

What I loved is Sophocles' relationship with his Togedemaru - the fact that Togedemaru puts on low lighting at night to act as his night lamp was so endearing, and the whole scene where Sophocles is attempting to explain in despair that Togedemaru will be apart from her beloved Pikachu is a little poignant. It's cool how he has the Pikachu holographic device to elaborate on the situation, both to show the departure and then to confirm that they'll still be together. I also appreciated how he works Togedemaru into his programming projects such as the facial expression designer one shown at the beginning of this episode.

Initially I thought the classic misunderstanding would be cleared up at the end of the episode as opposed to the middle, but that was great as it did throw Sophocles that curveball - the poor kid, he had to go through the lament of moving so far straight into the guilty conscience that now his classmates were holding a jamboree for him over a now trivial event. This was a great way to convey his character as he had to navigate through these challenging events and difficult emotions. I wouldn't think for a second that Sophocles is a poor man's Clemont - strip away the electronics and gender aspect - and they're not that similar at all personality wise. In fact, I don't think Clemont would have been as interesting to watch if he was faced with this scenario - and I am fond of his character - but I think it's the difference in character at play. Sophocles' characteristics are brought out in an interesting way by this episode.

It's really sweet how Lana and Kiawe brought Sophocles to see their favourite locations - that was really special, how they handed him an immaterial personal present. It struck a chord with me, and I think it was a lovely way for the writers to display their friendship with Sophocles.

I also liked how even though the episode definitely brought out the poignant moments, it didn't feel like it was a sob story - there were humorous moments tucked within the episode, such as Pikachu in that bubble (that made me laugh) - so I felt it was more realistic that way.

A great episode and a fantastic use of emotional display in order to manipulate the audience into empathy. It was refreshing to watch an episode from Sophocles' perspective, hopefully we see this trend arise again with some other characters as well.

Finally very good episode- on of the best in SM.
1.We learn something about relations between Ash's classmates.
2. As episodes's main character- Sophocles and Togedemaru >alolan Ash and Pikachu
3. Mallow, Lillie, Lana and Kiawe were pretty good too- it seems like their personalities are slowly, but definetely developed.
4. This episode allowed me to understand how important Mallow is in alolan gang- Watching episode, I had an impression she was something like...mother for others.
Generally, REALLY GOOD EPISODE- 9,5/10.

As well as the sensible reasoning already put forward by others, the pleasure he derived from the gifts his friends gave him clearly made him very uncomfortable.
So... you're saying that my assumption that sophocles was manipulative is insensible?

Hmm, interesting. I'm not mad or anything, but would you care to back up why you think so.

So... you're saying that my assumption that sophocles was manipulative is insensible?
No, not at all. I think yours is a valid interpretation, but one which doesn't take into account the significant evidence that Maamane was never intentionally manipulative.

(Btw pretty sure that "insensible" is not the exact opposite of "sensible"...)

This was such a sweet episode. I already liked Sophocles, but he was especially endearing here. It was so sad to see him and Togedemaru getting upset and crying. The emotions were raw, strong, and real, and I enjoy the way that was portrayed.

I definitely don't agree that Sophocles was being "manipulative" or lying to his friends. He was acting like what he is: a 10 year old boy. In fact, I have to give the writers credit for portraying Sophocles in that manner. It's a believable attitude for a kid of that age in this situation to have. It also reveals more of Sophocles' character. He obviously has insecurities/anxieties (as first seen in his original focus episode where he was afraid Ash would judge him for going to eat) and allowed those to take him over when he was afraid how his friends would react if they found out he wasn't actually moving (hence him imagining the whole gang getting mad at him). I do feel that this was a deeper look into Sophocles as a character, and I can appreciate that his development is being done more on the subtle side than just being shoved right in our faces.

And what an amazing group we have this region, honestly. Their dynamic is not only fantastic, but they are all such good friends! Watching each and every one of them go out of their way for Sophocles and getting emotional themselves about his potential leaving was so nice to see. They are truly an outstanding group of friends, and once again, I really think this is something so important to teach kids nowadays. The compassion and understanding shown by all of Sophocles' friends was really touching.

I also just have to highlight Sophocles' fantasy, because it was so funny (while I also felt bad for the poor kid at the same time). The angry expressions and reactions were so well done! I feel like the characters have really been getting a lot of dimension back to them this series (Ash especially, since he's been around the longest and has gotten unfortunately somewhat stale over time) and that little fantasy was a standout.

The only thing I found weird (and I could be misunderstanding due to poor subs) was it seemed like Sophocles' parents didn't even say anything to him until a week beforehand...? Like I understand it's only down the street and only for a short amount of time but still. And with the way his dad was acting, no wonder Sophocles assumed it was a much bigger move! I know it was necessary to the episode (because if Sophocles knew the whole time this whole plot would be null and void) but it still baffles me darn it!

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom