• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM027: Come Forth! The Red, Red Gaze of Lugarugan!!

Oh and Team Rocket's streak of not trapping Pikachu is over... 27 episodes they waited. Must be the longest time they've ever spent.

From the end of the episode:

Satoshi: "Gladio, I want to try using the Rock-Type Z Move too!"
Gladio: "Do you have one? A Rock-Z, I mean."
Satoshi: "Nope!"
Gladio: "In that case, you should challenge the Island Queen's Grand Trial on Akala Island."
Satoshi: "I see. I'll definitely take it on!"

From the end of the episode:

Satoshi: "Gladio, I want to try using the Rock-Type Z Move too!"
Gladio: "Do you have one? A Rock-Z, I mean."
Satoshi: "Nope!"
Gladio: "In that case, you should challenge the Island Queen's Grand Trial on Akala Island."
Satoshi: "I see. I'll definitely take it on!"
Foreshadowing

This episode would've been pretty good without that boring-ass mecha-net-capture trope ughhh. But I guess they didn't want to show Gladion completely destroy Satoshi with that Z-move, or something.

Just wanna say, in recent years I pretty much watch the anime for Team Rocket, and not even I am happy about their role in this episode. I think complaints about the lack of battling this generation is really legit. How many legit battles has Ash had against another trainer that was shown until the end this generation? I can only really remember two, and in the span of almost 30 episodes that's not very impressive. If this is gonna be a rival for Ash then it was a weak debut, I'd say.

Not sure how fussed I am about the new Dark Pulse animation.

Also, this is the first Stone Edge has kept the same animation for a second series in a row.
Well it's nice to see a new animation for it since what, AG?

Also, I'm glad Ash has a rival in Sun and Moon and that Gladion's Lycanroc is a friendly Pokemon, despite how tough and menacing it seems to be. And as a I expect, he's not a comedic character. I look forward to see more of him.

Not sure how fussed I am about the new Dark Pulse animation.

Also, this is the first Stone Edge has kept the same animation for a second series in a row.

Not a fan of the new Dark Pulse animation. Before watching the episode I thought Umbreon was using Shadow Ball when I saw the screencaps on Filb. I was glad when I discovered it wasn't Shadow Ball, because that move has been used to death, but wasn't too thrilled when I found out it was actually Dark Pulse.

I hate the Stone Edge animation. Mostly due to the glittery blue color the animators went with for the rocks, but I miss the small stones circulating the Pokémon's body from DP-BW era. But Continental Crush takes the cake here. Who had the idea of making a boulder so huge it looked like a meteor was coming our way? That was unnecessary. Goku called, he wants his Genki Dama back, The Pokémon Company will hear from his lawyers.

Oh, I want to echo the sentiments of everyone feeling disappointed with the lackluster battle between Ash and Gladion. Gladion's lack of interaction with Lillie was also a low point of this episode. I really hope he will be handled a little better next time.

This episode would have been a lot better without Team Rocket. I was looking forward to Ash battling everyone's favorite edgelord, but of course it was interupted. Gladion's portrayl here was okay I guess. Not entierly satisfied though considering how deep he really is in the games. At least we finally got some foreshadowing of Olivia and Ash continuing his Island Challenge.

Last edited:
Right, rewatched the ep and i'm now bumping down the rating to just a 3/5 now. I can well and truly say for the first time in the S&M anime...

Team Rocket shouldn't have been here.

Their appearance was just forced all around and because of this it has hurt the episode quite a bit. I would have been fine with Ash losing to Gladion since his Lycranroc is pretty powerful. But nope, gotta shove the TRio at the last minute and rush the ep.

Other than that, okay episode besides TR barging in at the end.

Ash and Alain's first encounter did it better though.

Also Gladion just ditchin Lillie, damn sonny.

Heads up: Gladion in ep points out to Ash that he can get Rockinium Z from the Akala Grand Trial. For those who want him to go there, this episode points him in the direction you all want him to

Well.. This episode was as good as I expected. While I found it good, TR was unnecessary. If not for their presence, theres a good chance this episode would've been better.

PROS:
-More Turtonator screentime!

-Charjabug gets some screentime of its own!

-Rockinium Z is hinted near the end of the episode.

-Bewear is apparently flying type.

-Gladion gets some good interaction with Lillie.

CONS:
-One of the most overhyped battles in this series so far got skipped because of Team Rocket.

-New Dark Pulse animation is rather unrecognizable.

FINAL SCORE:
6/10

As soon as the TRio interrupted the battle, my subconscious pinged "my bmgf buddies are gonna be pissssssed." I can understand why people are disappointed because we have had an outstandingly low number of battles in SM. However, after being introduced to Gladio, it became 100% obvious to me that we would not get a full and satisfying battle here because the guy is clearly going to become a recurring rival with much to offer, and I would expect them to save Satoshi's first crushing defeat for a little down the line.

I am a little surprised however at the complaints that he is a 1-dimensional character. We haven't seen much of him yet, but he is obviously very kind despite his Harry-in-Order-of-the-Phoenix levels of angst. How come no one's bothered by how insensitive Satoshi was towards his friend Lillie's relationship with her brother?

Joint cuteness prize this week goes to Lugarugan patting Iwanko + Bakugames at the back of that "caterpie" line. It's amazing that Satoshi is allowed to have an expanded wardrobe in this saga also!

I'll be honest, I'm a fan of the TRio and not a fan of battles so I quite enjoyed their appearances in this episode. The sunrise scene was particularly lovely and it was nice to see Musashi motivated to work for a change, given that Kojirou has mostly been leading in SM thus far while she stretches her arms behind her back and eats ice cream! Also thumbs up to an old school fat, red R on their automobile. I'd miss that old logo if it weren't on their shirts...

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom