• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM027: Come Forth! The Red, Red Gaze of Lugarugan!!

That was disappointing. No actual battle, no real interaction between Gladio and Lilie. Lilie was cute though.

Screenshot_2017-05-18-13-38-09-1.png

"Onii-sama no baka!"

Last edited:
That was disappointing. No actual battle, no real relationship between Gladio and Lilie. Lilie was cute though.
View attachment 102690
Oniisama no baka!
What did you expect? This episode was just fine to me. Plus, the Poke Problem was skipped and the new trailer with a new artwork for the 20th anniversary movie was shown. How come this kind of thing isn't listed on the page? I wonder who is the host for today's problem section while it was aired in other stations.

Last edited:
Team Rocket ruined everything.
1/5

No in all honesty, it was a fine episode. Nice little way to introduce Gladion to the anime world although yes Team Rocket did spoil the ep a little bit though what did I expect anyways?

3.5/5

…Sigh. The first episode that I dared to watch live (and from Japan, nonetheless!), during my birthday… and it didn't deliver as much as I wished.

I actually liked that we got to know a bit more about Gladion's backstory here, and I'm glad to see him as the serious character I wished, but… an interrupted battle? Really?

I've been so looking forward an actual match after being starved for battles for so many episodes… and when we finally get the opportunity to actually see a battle they skip it?! Ugh, this is so annoyingly frustrating.

Well, at least it was nice to see Ash actually training, and Lillie has been adorable and all. However, I agree it would have been so much better if we actually got a full battle, regardless of the final result (which I think could have ended up with Ash losing, but at least that would have been a good reason for him to start battling more), and to see the two siblings having some meaningful interaction, even if that meant having a saddened Lillie and Gladion turning away with some coldness, or whatever.

It wasn't a bad episode, but I really expected something more.

…Sigh. The first episode that I dared to watch live (and from Japan, nonetheless!), during my birthday… and it didn't deliver as much as I wished.

I actually liked that we got to know a bit more about Gladion's backstory here, and I'm glad to see him as the serious character I wished, but… an interrupted battle? Really?

I've been so looking forward an actual match after being starved for battles for so many episodes… and when we finally get the opportunity to actually see a battle they skip it?! Ugh, this is so annoyingly frustrating.

Well, at least it was nice to see Ash actually training, and Lillie has been adorable and all. However, I agree it would have been so much better if we actually got a full battle, regardless of the final result (which I think could have ended up with Ash losing, but at least that would have been a good reason for him to start battling more), and to see the two siblings having some meaningful interaction, even if that meant having a saddened Lillie and Gladion turning away with some coldness, or whatever.

It wasn't a bad episode, but I really expected something more.
See, my first impression of gladion now that we finally saw him was...boring.

He's exactly what I thought he would be.

He's the typical cold,callous person who was scarred by some type of trauma and has to hide his emotions by being "mr.badass" and is probably going to take a while to finally open up to ash&friends.

Been there,done that. Did he even smile once? I legitimately don't know, I didn't get to finish the episode.

You see, one of the things characters are supposed to do is make you want to see them again. And as of right now....I don't.

But I liked the episode. It's always nice to make progress in the overall story. I just wasn't a fan of gladion.

And for those who are like " He has every right to act the way he is considering what happened to him".

Yeah well, are we even sure they're going to follow THAT particular storyline in the anime?

I mean they left out trial captains and replaced them with the totem pokemon running the trials.

Not surprised at all. This is what it means to have the incompetent Aya Matsui as headwriter. She doesn't know how to write serious plot nor battles correctly. Had Tomioka written this I'm sure TR would not even be present.

Happy birthday!!

He's the typical cold,callous person who was scarred by some type of trauma and has to hide his emotions by being "mr.badass" and is probably going to take a while to finally open up to ash&friends.
What did you expect?

Seriously, people here are complaining about everything. I'm almost wishing to stick to game sections of these forums more (FYI, I joined the forums for anime section). If gladion would've shown even the slightest bit of friendliness or comedy, people would grasp at straws more, and expressing their hate.
Most of the people here like to complain a lot.

What did you expect?

Seriously, people here are complaining about everything. I'm almost wishing to stick to game sections of these forums more (FYI, I joined the forums for anime section). If gladion would've shown even the slightest bit of friendliness or comedy, people would grasp at straws more, and expressing their hate.
Again dude? You want to argue about this again? We already discussed this in the Pokemon M20 thread.

Remember that little talk we had about one-dimensional characters? Well, examine what you just saw in today's episode. That would fall under one-dimensional would it not?

You already know how I feel about them.

So, yes I have EVERY right to argue, because this episode was super underwhelming.

And fyi most people WANTED gladion to show kindness or comedy.

I didn't see a single person here or serebii who wanted Gladion to become comedy character.
Also, could you show what you'd do, given the games' personality of him?
Seriously, his most iconic dialogue is 'Get out!' What do you expect from such a person?

What did you expect?

Yeah, and it's getting annoying repetitive to read since they want to watch Ash battle 24/7. If Ash doesn't battle for one second, they get bored to death and complain while crying as they say the episode is boring. At least we get to meet Gladion and see him as a serious character like he is in the games.

…What? I have seen plenty of people who actually wanted Gladion to be a serious character, just like his in-game character. He is a character with a rather tragic past, so him having comedy injected on in would have been a terrible move. It would have undermined his character and what is known about him, and his past would have lost a meaningful sense.

Besides, the anime is reeking with comedic characters. Do we really need yet another comedic character? Why can't there be at least one serious character?

Seriously, you don't need comedy to create a good character. And I personally feel that this episode didn't do to Gladion much justice and didn't explore well his true potential. I hope that next time he will be handled better.

Yeah, and it's getting annoying repetitive to read since they want to watch Ash battle 24/7. If Ash doesn't battle for one second, they get bored to death and complain while crying as they say the episode is boring. At least we get to meet Gladion and see him as a serious character like he is in the games.

The problem is that this series has been seriously lacking in battles. I wouldn't have minded if we got a DP approach, or even a BW approach, where the characters battled often. In that case, some breaks once in a while wouldn't have been bad.

However, in this series, we have got very few battles, with the TRio one being the latest one. So, you can't blame people who love to see animated battles (like me) for being annoyed by this fact.

I didn't see a single person here or serebii who wanted Gladion to become comedy character.
Not comedy. At least show some snark. Make some sarcastic comments, insult ash if you must.

While even that is pretty generic, at least it's WAY better than " Hmph, i'm angry at everybody. Get out of my way!"

So..i'm not grasping at straws at all, These are legitimate complaints. You're just saying i'm "grasping at straws" because it's your go-to come back. It doesn't require any thought, so you just type it.
…What? I have seen plenty of people who actually wanted Gladion to be a serious character, just like his in-game character. He is a character with a rather tragic past, so him having comedy injected on in would have been a terrible move. It would have undermined his character and what is known about him, and his past would have lost a meaningful sense.

Yeah, I worded it wrong. Just read my comment to PkmnTrainerV. I don't exactly want comedy, just some personality at least.

Not comedy. At least show some snark. Make some sarcastic comments, insult ash if you must.

While even that is pretty generic, at least it's WAY better than " Hmph, i'm angry at everybody. Get out of my way!"
This description sounds like someone from Sinnoh...

By the way, have you ever been in close proximity of a teen boy? They're more likely than not to be angsty at everything. Considering game-gladion and most likely anime-Gladion's trauma, it is pretty normal for someone his age.

So..i'm not grasping at straws at all, These are legitimate complaints. You're just saying i'm "grasping at straws" because it's your go-to come back. It doesn't require any thought, so you just type it.
I don't know if a character acting like his game self is a legitimate complaint. It was how the character was designed, after all. I remember it mentioned somewhere that Gladion's concept art mentioned 'edgy'.

By the way, have you ever been in close proximity of a teen boy?
I have. Because I AM a teen boy.

I guess i'm just used to characters acting all hyper this series. Seriously, everyone acts like they are on a sugar rush, and while it is nice to see a character that's not like the others, it kinda just caught me off guard. Surely that's understandable.

This description sounds like someone from Sinnoh...

Paul? Yeah, sure, make him kinda like paul. But just don't make an exact replica

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom