• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM030: Lilie, Take Good Care of Pikachu

It wasn't really focused on Lilie as the trailer implied. She gets screentime equal to other characters. Lilie's "scared of pokemon" storyline is definitely over. It's ended in a disappointed fashion, with no revelation about it's cause.
Mao used Togedemaru for cleaning, Kaki used Ashimari for taming farm pokemon, Shiron is bonded with Nyabby, Amamaiko and Mamane sleep together in the same bed (!), Suiren scrub the Bakugames' shell and make it look shiny.

Lillie definitely got more screen time than the other classmates, except for Ash and the only ones who got development in the episode were Lillie and Snowy. So I think Lillie got at least a little bit more focus in the episode.

Is it just me or did they actually reuse Lillie's maid's frame from episode SM008 in this episode when Pikachu is eating Pokepuffs? You should compare it if you don't believe it.

Yep, there was a lot of reused animation in this episode. To match the "new" opening theme I guess. And Poké Puffs are a thing of the past. Pikachu was eating croquembouche.

It wasn't really focused on Lilie as the trailer implied. She gets screentime equal to other characters. Lilie's "scared of pokemon" storyline is definitely over. It's ended in a disappointed fashion, with no revelation about it's cause.
Mao used Togedemaru for cleaning, Kaki used Ashimari for taming farm pokemon, Shiron is bonded with Nyabby, Amamaiko and Mamane sleep together in the same bed (!), Suiren scrub the Bakugames' shell and make it look shiny.

It's stated that Lillie was living with her mother at another one of their mansions when she became afraid of Pokemon, and that her mother is still at that other mansion busy with her "work".

Considering what her mother is like, it's not exactly hard to figure out. The cause of her fear will probably come up later.

Her fear of all Pokemon might not be completely gone, she could be able to touch Pikachu because she knows him pretty well, she might not be able to touch wild Pokemon, Pokemon that she knows nothing about, personally.

I say that Lillie's fear of Pokemon is still there, but so far she can only touch Shiron and Pikachu since she knows them very well. Maybe someday as can see her start trying to touch everyone's Pokemon, but that'll take a while.

Who feels bad for Shiron started to feel homesick while she was with Ash?

This episode was good, but imo could have been much better.

I liked that Snowy was nervous and a bit sad to be leaving Lillie. It must have been hard for the poor girl to go from Lillie's mansion to Kukui's little shack :p It was cute that Pikachu moved over for Lillie in the limo and for a moment I thought he'd be helpful to Lillie in this episode. But then he goes back to being annoying and focusing on food when she was trying to pet him. I liked how Litten was the one helping Snowy get adjusted to hanging with Ash.

The classmates parts were sadly the weakest elements of the episode, though honestly I'm not surprised. Doing this assignment among 6 students was sure to give some of of them the short end of the stick. Add in the fact that this episodes was specifically for Lillie and yeah, screen time for the other 4 classmates was definitely going down. If this episode could have been an hour special, it would have been much better. I liked that we got to see Steenee helping Sophocles get to sleep after she didn't help him with his other stuff. And Togedemaru inadvertently helping Mallow with cleaning was nice to see. It was adorable when Togedemaru was rubbing up to with Mallow after the assignment was over. Popplio playing with Mimo was cute and I liked that he was able to help Kiawe with the Tauros situation. I didn't really like how he'd previously just left Popplio sitting by himself while he went to do farm work. Unfortunately, Lana didn't get to do much with Turtonator other than wash his shell with Harper and Sarah. Disappointing that we couldn't have seen more of them.

The battle against Oricorio was too short for my tastes. I'm glad Lillie won, but it seemed like Oricorio went down so fast. Lillie being comfortable touching Pikachu was expected, so yay. Eh, this episode was fine, I just think it had potential to be so much more interesting. But obviously the lack of time to focus on 6 different people was obviously the biggest hindrance. I also think it would have been slightly cool and funny if the traded Pokemon had picked up on some things from the trainer they were traded to, kind of like the Adventures chapter where Red and Blue accidentally swapped Pokemon :p But that was pretty unlikely from the start, so whatever.
8/10.

Her fear of all Pokemon might not be completely gone, she could be able to touch Pikachu because she knows him pretty well, she might not be able to touch wild Pokemon, Pokemon that she knows nothing about, personally.

She was able to touch Pikachu because Trainers and Pokémon bond over their success in battles. She knew Pikachu pretty well at the beginning of the episode and was still afraid of touching him. Lillie hugged Pikachu after the battle because they were celebrating.

But yeah, I don't think Lillie's fear is gone. Not that I'm expecting some beautiful storytelling later on, but we're not done with this yet. I'm not particularly interested in what the writers will do to explain her fear tho. I think Gladion's reaction to seeing his sister holding a Pokémon in her arms should have been a little more "wow" if it was such a big deal. But then again Gladion is edgy and these type of characters can only display anger and annoyance.

It's specifically stated at the end of the episode that Lillie still has a way to go and that she'll need to continue working to be able to interact with pokemon, one by one.

The most annoying part was at the end where Pikachu and Snowy were going to "fight". I hate it that in Sun and Moon battles are done so quickly or arent even shown

She was able to touch Pikachu because Trainers and Pokémon bond over their success in battles. She knew Pikachu pretty well at the beginning of the episode and was still afraid of touching him. Lillie hugged Pikachu after the battle because they were celebrating.

But yeah, I don't think Lillie's fear is gone. Not that I'm expecting some beautiful storytelling later on, but we're not done with this yet. I'm not particularly interested in what the writers will do to explain her fear tho. I think Gladion's reaction to seeing his sister holding a Pokémon in her arms should have been a little more "wow" if it was such a big deal. But then again Gladion is edgy and these type of characters can only display anger and annoyance.
Sure, but I doubt she's going to have to battle with every other Pokemon in order to be able to touch them. Battling with Pikachu was probably just the realisation for her that although Pikachu isn't her Pokemon, she is close with it in a way, so she can now hold Pikachu and maybe even the rest of the Pokemon that she is friendly with. Pokemon battles are usually one of the best ways for Trainers and their Pokemon to bond with each other.

It's specifically stated at the end of the episode that Lillie still has a way to go and that she'll need to continue working to be able to interact with pokemon, one by one.
Yeah, probably for most Pokemon, unless she does it off-screen, I can't see her battling with the other Pokemon at the Pokemon School, which she also is near almost every day, in order to comfortable touching them.

Nice episode. While the companions' scenes had the comedic angle they had funny and heartwarming moments like Sophocles sleeping with Steenee. Lillie deserved more scenes, but her development was decent and it was nice how she got to hug Pikachu after battling with him.

The only thing I did not cared was Shiron, I yawned every time he/she appared on screen, likely because I didnt watch his/her debut.

Having one line stating such in the episode is not equal to actual character progression if it's not really focused on or shown.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom