• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM031: Lychee Appears! Laugh and Cry, Island Queen!!

Never have so many kisses been dished out in a single episode... Lychee is really fab.

Suiren's Lugia troll was truly epic.

Duplicate Joys hold no... joy... for me without Takeshi tbh.

Never have so many kisses been dished out in a single episode... Lychee is really fab.

Suiren's Lugia troll was truly epic.

Duplicate Joys hold no... joy... for me without Takeshi tbh.
Yes, we need more Lana trolling Ash and Mallow telling her off for it. And I'm glad they stuck with the Nurse Joy gag.

Who in the world thought that "dicking around school for half an episode, and then saving a whale from a psychic Joker fish" would make for an entertaining half hour of television?

Am I the only person who feels as if people tend to forget that other people have opinions that differ from their own. Also 6/10, I found it to be an entertaining episode, it worked to introduce Olivia as a character as well as show her strength when going against the Bruxish.

Who in the world thought that "dicking around school for half an episode, and then saving a whale from a psychic Joker fish" would make for an entertaining half hour of television?
You say it as if it's not, and whether it is entertaining or not is subjective. Plus, I'm pretty sure the episode was purely meant to introduce us to Olivia and show her off to us and to give us more information on Akala Island.

If you liked the episode then more power to you. But I honestly found it to be boring trash.

(also, what in the world did we learn about Akala that we didn't know already?)

Well I wouldn't say it was completely enjoyable, but it had its good moments. It was nice to see the group marvel at the abundance of Sea Pokemon around them, Olivia charming the groups Pokemon and Ash, Lana, Kiawe and Olivia all working together helping to save a wild Pokemon.

Also, if you mean us as viewers, or the characters, because if you mean the characters, then they probably first heard of Tapu Lele, except for Ash and it's connection to Akala, which is what I assumed Olivia was talking about. Personally, I don't know much, I've still yet to play the games. I only know what the anime tells me.

You guys do realize if you respond to these negative comments, your spurring him on right?

You're giving him exactly what he wants, incentive to keep on going.

Kind of hypocritical coming from me, but the best thing to do is just move on.

Something I really need to work on

Whilst this episode doesn't quite fall into my boring trash pile, it's definitely one I think would have benefited from some TRio shenanigans - they would have been able to inject a lot more antagonism and energy than the fish subplot was able to deliver.

Oliva's entertaining personality is the only thing this episode had going for it. Seeing her get emotional over befriending the other Pokemon was cute. Other than that...not much else happened. Kind of disappointing that the episode that was supposed to open the doors to the Akala journey had such a weak start.

Also, I'm still not pleased with Oliva having the Midday Lycanroc form. It just looks so wrong with her, and this is coming from someone who despises the Midnight form with a passion. I just really can't stand when they change a major character's ace. 6/10.

Where is Scott when you need him? "This is just like DP109, it's a slap on our faces"

This episode is entertaining and not boring, and it at least Ash and his friends are on the next island. It's better then the more boring episodes in the entire Pokemon anime, and it brings a perpouse unlike that the Litleo episode on XYZ.

Celebi Trainer said:
The Poké Question was skipped for the episode's broadcast here, however is available on Hulu. Mao (Mallow) hosts it and asks "which transportation method do we use in today's episode to reach Akala Island?". It allows you to choose between airship, tractor, cruiser, and Ride Pokémon. The correct answer is cruiser, and yes I know Japanese.
Enter Olivia! Cry and Laugh, Island Queen!! (974)

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice how Slowbro appeared to be evolving on that rock (shroud of blue light that's used for evolutions) but it just... since it's the final evolutionary form of that line... evolved into itself? I think they meant to have it as Slowpoke evolving into Slowbro... (I can't see any other logical explanation for the blue light surrounding the body transformation other than evolution).

Playerking said:
Personally, I don't know much, I've still yet to play the games. I only know what the anime tells me.
I guess Mikuri was right about some people here only watching the anime. Color me surprised a bit.

Did anyone else notice how Slowbro appeared to be evolving on that rock (shroud of blue light that's used for evolutions) but it just... since it's the final evolutionary form of that line... evolved into itself? I think they meant to have it as Slowpoke evolving into Slowbro... (I can't see any other logical explanation for the blue light surrounding the body transformation other than evolution).
I assume that the scene was a Slowpoke having its tail being bitten causing it to evolve to Slowbro, its just theirs little to no difference between a Slowpoke with its tail bitten and a Slowbro.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom