• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM034: Battle of Fire! Garagara Appears!!

Chiisaki Mono aside, had they ever recycled music from such old movies after the BW music reboot? I thought the Zoroark movie was the oldest they would use.
They definitely used the Jirachi theme in the Jirachi episode of BW.

Or they plan Ash to get the Z-crystals like gym badges from Kiawe and the rest.
That would be the best solution.
Would be nice if Kiawe would catch a Sallazle with Corrosion and use it properly against a other trainer with steel or poison type.

Great episode. After watching the previous and the promotional material I was expecting a typical "Edgy Pokemon is mischievous" episode, but instead of it we got to see nice development from Kiawe, Turtonator and their relationship, in a simple but effective 3 act structure. All battles were decent and Marowak had an interesting personality. Perhaps its only mistake was not using Litten in the training scene, in order to keep coherence with the beggining.

I believe the track they used today was this one:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH7ExxzGCgA

I don't think it is. There are elements from the original Sortie! present in this episode which are missing from the track you've dug up. That being said, neither seems to be an exact match to whatever was played - is it possible they amalgamated the two? Or is there another version of the very same theme present in a different soundtrack?...

I don't think it is. There are elements from the original Sortie! present in this episode which are missing from the track you've dug up. That being said, neither seems to be an exact match to whatever was played - is it possible they amalgamated the two? Or is there another version of the very same theme present in a different soundtrack?...
You're right. I posted the wrong one. I think this is the right one.

Well, this was an entertaining enough episode, I thought. Although the Hiker triplets were ridiculous and got on my nerves. I mean seriously, how many joint trainers does Magmar need to have? ugh

Anyway, I thought it was nice that Ash was able to talk to Kiawe and pull him out of his downward mood. The training battle was nice. I like how it was Ash who was dishing out some advice to Kiawe to get him to think through what strategies he could use to defeat Marowak. It was great that all the classmates went with Kiawe and were there to support him in the re-match.

And I prefer serious Kiawe to mushy Kiawe so that was definitely a bonus.

I really enjoyed this episode! Kiawe is my favorite of the classmates so I was really looking forward to an episode that focused on him. I just adore the connection he had with his grandfather and how he aspires to be just like him. I also really liked that he wants to be strong, but he knows he still has work to do and being strong isn't necessarily about just power. I know this is something they stress throughout the whole series, but it felt nice to hear Kiawe acknowledge that as well. Also, I liked seeing a character other than Ash get to mope a bit for once. I think they timed it very well (didn't drag it out too long) and they didn't make it melodramatic or too over-the-top. It was a nice look at how Kiawe's personality is layered.

Hiker David was super funny. I'm not fully understanding why the writers pick and choose what game aspects they want to carry over into the anime (i.e. no trial captains) so I do think this was kind of odd, but Hiker David made me laugh in the games and he made me laugh here as well. So at least it was an odd but entertaining choice. And they didn't beat that joke to death either.

Thought it was great that Kiawe got to catch Alolan Marowak. I think it's a great addition to his team and I'm excited to see him work with another Pokémon since I always love watching him team up with Tortunator.

I just really hope they don't go overboard with the "rivalry" between Marowak and Tortunator. The writers tend to do that a lot and it always comes across as more annoying than funny (I could not stand Piplup and Oshawott's, or Pancham and Chespin's). I did like that it seemed pretty much one sided, but I can see it taking a negative turn if the writers overdo it.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom