• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM035: A Beautiful Curry Battle! The Dance of Lalantes!!

At least Ash got a Grasium-Z which is good for him. Sorry, Mallow, I guess you don't fit to be a trainer anymore, but rather a cook. 7/10, because the fight was quite great.

I didn't really enjoy this episode all that much. Rowlet was entertaining and the battle was okay, but I just expected more from the search for the ingredients, and I would've also liked Mallow to have participated more than just not telling Ash that she knew about what he was really doing.

Poor Mallow, Lana gets a Z-Ring, Kiawe gets a new Pokemon, and she gets nothing. She's basically the female equivalent to Sophocles at this point (but at least he got an episode actually about him, caught a 2nd Pokemon, albeit only because Ash gave it to him, and owns a Pikaclone).

With Lillie taking the usual "main girl" role, and Lana owning a starter Pokemon, I guess there's just not much for Mallow to do besides cook (and Lillie can do that on top of making Pokemon food) and look pretty.

Poor Mallow, Lana gets a Z-Ring, Kiawe gets a new Pokemon, and she gets nothing. She's basically the female equivalent to Sophocles at this point (but at least he got an episode actually about him, caught a 2nd Pokemon, albeit only because Ash gave it to him, and owns a Pikaclone).

With Lillie taking the usual "main girl" role, and Lana owning a starter Pokemon, I guess there's just not much for Mallow to do besides cook (and Lillie can do that on top of making Pokemon food) and look pretty.
Or should I say she is just a joke character that doesn't do anything like Sophocles? The only ones that have by two Pokemon are Sophocles and Kiawe, but Lana, Lillie and Mallow only have a single Pokemon which doesn't seem right having only a single Pokemon without having a new one.

Or should I say she is just a joke character that doesn't do anything like Sophocles? The only ones that have by two Pokemon are Sophocles and Kiawe, but Lana, Lillie and Mallow only have a single Pokemon which doesn't seem right having only a single Pokemon without having a new one.

In Lillie's case, it's fine because she wasn't a trainer at all yet when the series began, Snowy was her first Pokemon. She's a new trainer, so having only one is okay for her. She needs to get more experience battling with Snowy before she catches another.

And for Lana, whatever else she caught would be overshadowed by Popplio.

And Charjabug has been nothing more than a living battery.

Maybe Mallow would have battled if she didn't know about the trial, but then if she did, she probably could have defeated the Totem Lurantis instead, so I guess I can accept that as a reason for why she didn't battle.

In Lillie's case, it's fine because she wasn't a trainer at all yet when the series began, Snowy was her first Pokemon. She's a new trainer, so having only one is okay for her. She needs to get more experience battling with Snowy before she catches another.

And for Lana, whatever else she caught would be overshadowed by Popplio.

And Charjabug has been nothing more than a living battery.
I'm sure Nebby will have an important role in the near future in Lillie's bag.

Maybe Mallow would have battled if she didn't know about the trial, but then if she did, she probably could have defeated the Totem Lurantis instead, so I guess I can accept that as a reason for why she didn't battle.
Is it because she is just the female equivalent to Sophocles?

Is it because she is just the female equivalent to Sophocles?
No and it's not like Sophocles doesn't stray for battling either. He helped to defeat Team Rocket in SM006. It's not like Lana, Kiawe and Lillie battle all that much either. Plus, why would Mallow battle here when it was Ash's battle to be fought?

SM018 - Evolution for Mallow
SM026 - Second Pokemon for Sophocles
SM033 - Z-Ring for Lana
SM034 - Second Pokemon for Kiawe

I'm thinking that's the extent of what the non-Ash and Lillie characters are going to get.

With USUM hitting soon and the Switch title scheduled for a possible 2018 release, I expect the series to start taking a more Ash and Lillie-centric turn once Akala is finished.

Well look at that...another terrible Trial. Ugh, I can't believe how bad they screwed up the Island Trial Challenge.

Before getting into what I hated about this episode, let's start with the good. Oliva. Seriously, Oliva is the only thing that made this episode slightly less painful. I found the part where she got knocked back by the door to be legitimately funny, and the end where she kissed Ash's Pokemon, the Totem Lurantis, and the ally Castform was cute.

Now for the semi-good. I liked that unlike the previous Trials, this one actually had Ash and Mallow doing the actual trial. That said, it was rather disappointing that they weren't on the Stoutland searching for the ingredients (I guess that's what SM32 was for) nor were they in Lush Jungle for most of the episode.

And now the bad. With each new episode, Rowlet is easily becoming Ash's most useless Pokemon. That thing can't even be bothered to stay awake for a damn minute to help his trainer with one simple task. I swear Ash may as well not even bother with that bird. Sending Pikachu to get the berry in the first place would have prevented all the trouble they went through. And how stupid was it that they got themselves attacked through their own folly of laughing at Ash after perfectly surviving a Stun Spore and nearly making it to the Mago Berry? Ugh. That entire part along with the Diglett in the cage were so pointless. They could have easily just let the entire trial be a search situation in Lush Jungle like in the games. They also could have sped it up so we would have had more time for the battle.

And then there was the Totem Battle. Good elements: Mallow stayed the hell out of the battle as she should have, Litten battled, and he used Breakneck Blitz. Bad elements: everything else. Seriously, why, why, why, can't they just do the Totem Battles properly? The stupid bird had no reason to be in the battle helping Litten. Why can't they just let one Pokemon fight and then switch to the other when the first faints or gets tired. It's really not that hard. This battle could have been miles better if they just did the 2 vs 1 format as they are in Sun/Moon. And for one of, if not, the most difficult Totem Pokemon, Lurantis was pretty pathetic. It just spammed Solar Blade and barely even moved. The Synthesis healing also added nothing to the battle since Litten just KO'd it with Breakneck Blitz soon after. There were no interesting tactics and strategies. The thing just stood around and get hit by Ash's attacks until it went down. Overall, a major let down. And somehow Ash is going to battle Oliva in the next episode despite only doing one Akala Island Trial. Yay...

Also, Marowak and Turtonator...can we not? We had Oshawott vs. Pignite. We had Pancham vs. Chespin. Can we just stop with the stupid rivalries?

I'm officially done expecting them to do anything with the Trials. It's clear that they're not taking the Island Challenge as seriously as Gym Battles were for some reason. This episode gets a 4/10.

ok i watched the episode and was great the ingredient gathering was good you should look that for a moment was a mushroom looking in the hill the cave was great they used digit due could be a refence that lust jungle had a mini maze then the looking in the tree trunk of that area was good at first ash was doing ok with litten until the sos cast form come to help and btw rowlet in the battle was to help litten with the water gun cast form but liked how as reacted to roulette sleeping again and you looked when he squezzed the backpack that forearm and the vein well that give little time to beat lurantis and help ash with the trial a great episode and what you expected when we have a big cast

Eh, I couldn't care less about Mallow, she hasn't been interesting in the least ever since her first appearance. She's a redundant character that I think should just be deleted from the series altogether alongside Sophocles.

As for the totem battle, it was too short, horribly choreographed and just overall crap. Animation was shit. And keep the dumb slapstick away from serious battles.

Last week's brawl between Turtonator and Marowak was amazing and then they follow it up with this? ...

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom