• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM036: Lychee's Grand Trial! The Hardest Pokemon Match!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playerking

Not-well known member.
Reaction score
SM036: Lyche's Grand Trial! The Hardest Pokemon Match!!
Airs: August 3rd.

Here is a summary of the episode, which Dephender translated.

Ash has finally become able to challenge the Grand Trial of Olivia, Island Kahuna of Akala Island. He challenges her to a double battle, bringing Rowlet and Rockruff with him, but Olivia just toys around with him using her "Rock Pokémon" Lycanroc, which possesses overwhelming speed and uses tricky tactics.

Last edited:
Yep looks like Totem Salazzle gets skipped over for the Marowak episode due to Kiawe already having Firium Z, allowing Salazzle to debut with Plumeria later.

Also, Ash will be using Rowlet and Rockruff in a double battle and Olivia will test Ash with her smart tactics and impressive speed, with her Lycanroc. But since we saw Pikachu fighting Olivia in the Opening, does this mean that Ash will lose?

Same summary with credits, I guess?
Adamant said:
Satoshi has finally become able to challenge the Grand Trial of Lychee, Island Queen of Akala Island. He challenges her to a double battle, bringing Mokuroh and iwanko with him, but Lychee just toys around with him using her "Rock Pokémon" Lugarugan, which possesses overwhelming speed and uses tricky tactics.

Screenplay 冨岡 淳広 (Atsuhiro Tomioka)
Storyboard 浅田 裕二 (Yūji Asada)
Episode Director 小柴 純弥 (Junya Koshiba)
Animation Director 大西 雅也 (Masaya Onishi)
August 3rd: SM36 - Lychee's Grand Trial! The Hardest Pokémon Match Ever!!

Though define "hardest", OLM...:cautious:
(especially in this saga)

Good gosh, they seriously are going to rush through the Akala Trials in 3 episodes! With this and the previous title, I'm guessing either A. Marowak is supposed to be the Fire Totem or the fire trial just isn't happening, both of which would be awful. What on earth is the staff doing? Why are they running the entire Island Trial Challenge? They would never speed through 3 gyms in 3 episodes in this day and age, so why are they doing it with the brand new and far more interesting trials? I wanted Ash to start the Akala Trials for a while, but I sure as heck didn't want him to speed through them. I can't even get excited for these episodes knowing this. This entire execution of the Island Challenge has been a huge disappointment.

I'm guessing either A. Marowak is supposed to be the Fire Totem or the fire trial just isn't happening, both of which would be awful.

Or Totem Salazzle is actually in SM34.

The opening does have Pikachu VS Lycanroc, so I'd imagine Ash would lose this battle.

What on earth is the staff doing? Why are they running the entire Island Trial Challenge? They would never speed through 3 gyms in 3 episodes in this day and age, so why are they doing it with the brand new and far more interesting trials? I wanted Ash to start the Akala Trials for a while, but I sure as heck didn't want him to speed through them. I can't even get excited for these episodes knowing this. This entire execution of the Island Challenge has been a huge disappointment.

To be fair, they may be having to speed things along for USUM...

Good gosh, they seriously are going to rush through the Akala Trials in 3 episodes! With this and the previous title, I'm guessing either A. Marowak is supposed to be the Fire Totem or the fire trial just isn't happening, both of which would be awful. What on earth is the staff doing? Why are they running the entire Island Trial Challenge? They would never speed through 3 gyms in 3 episodes in this day and age, so why are they doing it with the brand new and far more interesting trials? I wanted Ash to start the Akala Trials for a while, but I sure as heck didn't want him to speed through them. I can't even get excited for these episodes knowing this. This entire execution of the Island Challenge has been a huge disappointment.

Maybe they wanted more room for slice of life stuff?

I have this gut feel that the reason why they are going thru this fast is because of the USUM gym conspiracies? Maybe? Maybe not?

It all looked good until I saw who was listed as animation director. I thought OLM had learned by now you put your good animation director on battle episodes, not the below-average ones. They wasted Iwane on a generic fishing episode, god damnit.

Maybe they wanted more room for slice of life stuff?
As if they don't already focus enough on slice of life and comedy.

Surprised that they're doing Olivia's grand trial so soon after arriving on Akala Island. I thought they'd go all over the island and maybe even to Royal Avenue before Ash battled Olivia.

As if they don't already focus enough on slice of life and comedy.
They don't, I can only think of several episodes that had a slice of like plot and even some of those had important event in them. Also, it should be interesting to see Ash's Rowlet and Rockruff team up.

Well, I'm somewhat glad that Tomioka will screenplay this. Not too pleased by how quickly they are going through the Trial Challenge, though.

Seriously, I'm baffled by what they are doing. They really can't treat the main quest of the saga with a bit more of respect, can they? That really peeves me... I've anxiously waited for the next Trial and to see the plot advancing a bit more... just to get this mess?

Sigh... well, at least we may get a decent battle here. This is a plus, at least, since I've been starving for battles. So, I'll be looking forward this specific episode mainly for this reason.

Well, I'm somewhat glad that Tomioka will screenplay this. Not too pleased by how quickly they are going through the Trial Challenge, though.

Seriously, I'm baffled by what they are doing. They really can't treat the main quest of the saga with a bit more of respect, can they? That really peeves me... I've anxiously waited for the next Trial and to see the plot advancing a bit more... just to get this mess?

Sigh... well, at least we may get a decent battle here. This is a plus, at least, since I've been starving for battles. So, I'll be looking forward this specific episode mainly for this reason.
But Ash attending the main school is the main part of the series. The other things he does are probably less important to him.

But Ash attending the main school is the main part of the series. The other things he does are probably less important to him.

Since when battling has taken a backseat for Ash, though? He has always looked for some good challenges, ever since he was a rookie Trainer. So, the fact that battling, which is his passion as a Pokemon Trainer, has somehow become less important to Ash screams Out Of Character to me.

Besides, the whole Trial Challenge is one of the most relevant elements of the SM games, so this lackluster treatment in-anime doesn't give it any justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom