• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM038: Mimikkyu's Disguise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
God, it hasn't been that long. She had TWO episodes of focus in Season 18.

I mean I was partially exaggerating but that's still 2 years. Considering she's the only cast member who hasn't gotten a focus episode in SM yet it's understandable why some people are excited.

Besides she's my favorite rocket trio member and I'm glad her getting a focus episode is what's most likely ending this Rocket drought we've been having this summer.

I hope Jessie will see Mimikkyu's real form after its costume completely rips out. I don't mind Meowth suffering the same fate again after the first when he almost died after seeing its true form and the second time drowning with his fave down and later his soul coming back to his body.

I mean I was partially exaggerating but that's still 2 years. Considering she's the only cast member who hasn't gotten a focus episode in SM yet it's understandable why some people are excited.

Besides she's my favorite rocket trio member and I'm glad her getting a focus episode is what's most likely ending this Rocket drought we've been having this summer.
It doesn't really feel like James has been the center of an episode since DP. SM012 didn't particularly focus around him even if he did catch a Pokemon in it.

Good luck
Thanks, it was much needed :p
He's Mimikyu's trainer since Jessie used his Luxury Ball to catch it
lmfao
God, it hasn't been that long. She had TWO episodes of focus in Season 18.
God, that's TWO whole years ago now!
It doesn't really feel like James has been the center of an episode since DP. SM012 didn't particularly focus around him even if he did catch a Pokemon in it.
Even though I loved that episode, I understand what you mean. But did you not feel that he got good focus in XY 54?

Adamant said:
Screenplay 関根アユミ (Ayumi Sekine)
Storyboard 尼野浩正 (Hiromasa Amano)
Episode Director 榎本守 (Mamoru Enomoto)
Animation Director 門智昭 (Tomoaki Kado)
Animation Director 田之上慎 (Makoto Tanoue)

Thanks, it was much needed :p

lmfao

God, that's TWO whole years ago now!

Even though I loved that episode, I understand what you mean. But did you not feel that he got good focus in XY 54?
I honestly didn't. Like, what did James even do in that episode? In that episode, at least to me he was just the Pokemon Trainer, while the episode itself focused on Inkay. DP153 feels like the most recent James episode to me. Unless there's something in Unova that I'm completely forgetting about.

I honestly didn't. Like, what did James even do in that episode? In that episode, at least to me he was just the Pokemon Trainer, while the episode itself focused on Inkay. DP153 feels like the most recent James episode to me. Unless there's something in Unova that I'm completely forgetting about.
Fair enough. Truth is I didn't enjoy that episode at all, so what can I say!? :p
I know that Tairenar/stick episode was about Tairenar but that was probably the last sizable reminder we've had that he's a human being with his own story. He also got a fair bit of exposition in XY 63, almost as much as Musashi (despite much much less screen time) I felt.

Fair enough. Truth is I didn't enjoy that episode at all, so what can I say!? :p
I know that Tairenar/stick episode was about Tairenar but that was probably the last sizable reminder we've had that he's a human being with his own story. He also got a fair bit of exposition in XY 63, almost as much as Musashi (despite much much less screen time) I felt.
Yeah, I completely agree on both those points. It was nice to see James do something for Braixen, though it was really random. It would be nice if we could get an episode that truly was centered around him. Usually when it's a James episode it's about his childhood, so I guess that card is out considering how unlikely it would be that he would vacate outside of the Japan-based regions, and the writers aren't as interested in releasing their Pokemon anymore either. I was really hoping James would catch a lonely little Cubone or something that would become an Alolan Marowak considering how nice James is known to be, but that is out of the picture too. Oh well. Here's hoping for Alolan Victreebel or something in USUM

I've had a think, and what I'm really hoping from this episode is for Musashi & Mimikyu to have some kind of heart-to-heart. Musashi's entire pre-TRio story is about loneliness so she should really connect with Mimikyu about this.
It would be nice if we could get an episode that truly was centered around him. Usually when it's a James episode it's about his childhood, so I guess that card is out considering how unlikely it would be that he would vacate outside of the Japan-based regions
I don't know about that you know! Their family have been shown to be extraordinarily wealthy, why wouldn't they own a holiday home in Alola?! That's what I'm hoping anyway because a refresher on Kojiro's backstory and Rumika's return are much overdue!!!!

I've had a think, and what I'm really hoping from this episode is for Musashi & Mimikyu to have some kind of heart-to-heart. Musashi's entire pre-TRio story is about loneliness so she should really connect with Mimikyu about this.

I don't know about that you know! Their family have been shown to be extraordinarily wealthy, why wouldn't they own a holiday home in Alola?! That's what I'm hoping anyway because a refresher on Kojiro's backstory and Rumika's return are much overdue!!!!
Well, I guess it also has something to do with the fact that it didn't seem like James had heard of Alola just like the other two. I would love another holiday home episode though. We always get something good out of them. It would be cool if James' Nanny and Pop-Pop were there visiting with his Chimecho.
Getting back to this episode though, what do you want to see come from it? The only thing I can really think of is for Mimikyu to reveal why it hates Pikachu so much, in addition to revealing it's Ability ''Disguise''

Like I said before, I'll be happy if Musashi can connect on an emotional level with Mimikyu about loneliness. (Probably shouldn't hope for something so un-funny right now though.)

Huh, Sekine for the scriptwriter? Ugh, I can't say I'm very happy about that. I haven't enjoyed her episodes so far and I got an impression she isn't a big fan of Rockets. But she's still new, maybe she just needs her chance to shine? We shall see.

I honestly didn't. Like, what did James even do in that episode? In that episode, at least to me he was just the Pokemon Trainer, while the episode itself focused on Inkay.
While for me that episode wasn't very memorable, it was good as a Kojiro episode, but it was more centred around the bond that Kojiro and Maaiika had. The episode proved once again how unselfish Kojiro's love is. It wasn't anything new, because we arleady knew how he puts happiness of his loved ones before his, but it's always nice to see such an episode as an reinforcement. I'd love to see something that adds to Kojiro's character development though. DP153 was such an ep, because we discovered that he had a crush on Rumika at first.

I feel that TR episodes should be much bolder and always reveal something new for the characters. There's so much potential with their characters and backstories... But I guess the writers want to play it safe now, because it's so hard to keep track of the development of the characters that have been around for 20 years.

Like I said before, I'll be happy if Musashi can connect on an emotional level with Mimikyu about loneliness. (Probably shouldn't hope for something so un-funny right now though.)
I'd be happy about that too! ;__; I think it wouldn't be too much to ask for from SM, but with the the way Rockets are written now, I can't see it hapen, sadly. Again, I really miss Junki Takegami T__T

Last edited:
I know what you meant, but I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of James and Inkay getting high together. Anyway, I'm also hoping for at least a bit of Mimikyu's backstory.
Omg, at first I was really confused by what you said and then I looked at what I wrote xD Now I'm laughing XD

Huh, Sekine for the scriptwriter? Ugh, I can't say I'm very happy about that. I haven't enjoyed her episodes so far and I got an impression she isn't a big fan of Rockets. But she's still new, maybe she just needs her chance to shine? We shall see.

While for me that episode wasn't very memorable, it was good as a Kojiro episode, but it was more centred around the bond that Kojiro and Maaiika had. The episode proved once again how unselfish Kojiro's love is. It wasn't anything new, because we arleady knew how he puts happiness of his loved ones before his, but it's always nice to see such an episode as an reinforcement. I'd love to see something that adds to Kojiro's character development though. DP153 was such an ep, because we discovered that he had a crush on Rumika at first.

I feel that TR episodes should be much bolder and always reveal something new for the characters. There's so much potential with their characters and backstories... But I guess the writers want to play it safe now, because it's so hard to keep track of the development of the characters that have been around for 20 years.

I'd be happy about that too! ;__; I think it wouldn't be too much to ask for from SM, but with the the way Rockets are written now, I can't see it hapen, sadly. Again, I really miss Junki Takegami T__T

It seems like there's still a lot of mystery to Jessie's childhood and life before TR. It would be nice to get a proper retelling or something on how they ended up in TR so people knows what's canon or not, since we've been given different stories.

Huh, Sekine for the scriptwriter?
Honestly, at this point why not? Who else who is still on the writing team would you trust? I don't trust Tomioka even one jot since BW, and Musashi's reliable ace Takegami seems to have fallen off the face of the earth :( I can't believe his last Musashi-centric episode was DP 117 (8 years ago now).
TRio's characters feel very hollow without allowing them to expose any of their history, ever. Add to the fact that they are no longer allowed to release their pokemon, the episodes which from OS-DP made their characters feel like real, 3D adult humans just... don't exist anymore! None of the Rocket episodes in XY felt to me like they had any depth to them.
It seems like there's still a lot of mystery to Jessie's childhood and life before TR. It would be nice to get a proper retelling or something so people knows what's canon or not, since we've been given different stories.
Have we? I think we've been given fragments of the same story, except for possibly the confusion regarding when she and Kojiro first met (which I'd be inclined to say has officially been retconned to the version told in the Hoso ep).

It seems like there's still a lot of mystery to Jessie's childhood and life before TR. It would be nice to get a proper retelling or something on how they ended up in TR so people knows what's canon or not, since we've been given different stories.
This! Honestly, we really need to know more, especially about Musashi's past, because the bits that we've been mercifully given are all over the place. It all feels like puzzle pieces that don't match! Both hers and Kojiro's pasts are nothing but confusing, but at least Kojiro's early childhood got a proper affirmation throughout the series. But we still don't know why they decided to join TR. Kojiro wanted freedom, yeah, but there's that huge time gap between his running away from home and joining TR. So what was he doing during that time (there was this bike gang thing, but that was retconned)? Same for Musashi, what was she doing directly before joining TR and what lead to her decision? You could say that it was a chain of unfortunate events and life choices, but that's too vague for me to accept. And I've always wondered if she knew about her mother being a TR member? Of course we never got to learn anything about Miyamoto from the main show and that's a huge sin.

Honestly, at this point why not? Who else who is still on the writing team would you trust? I don't trust Tomioka even one jot since BW, and Musashi's reliable ace Takegami seems to have fallen off the face of the earth :( I can't believe his last Musashi-centric episode was DP 117 (8 years ago now).
I can't see Tomioka writing the ep, but why not Yonemura? Although he isn't much around, but he showed in the past that he's pretty capable of writing a good TR ep. But yeah I'm not crossing Sekine out totally. I'm just sceptic :p

TRio's characters feel very hollow without allowing them to expose any of their history, ever.
I agree that some exposure would be nice, but it's not like they feel hollow without that. Of course, it explains some things, but they're still very charming. The TR Radio Show didn't expose any of their past and yet it felt like it was the best Rockets I could ever ask for, simply because they were allowed to have lots of freedom and get out of the annoying pattern the anime shuts them in. They got real, literally ;D

Add to the fact that they are no longer allowed to release their pokemon, the episodes which from OS-DP made their characters feel like real, 3D adult humans just... don't exist anymore! None of the Rocket episodes in XY felt to me like they had any depth to them.
Not even XY063? O.O

I wasn't a fan of those release episodes, mostly because... in the past, they were pretty much the only episodes that showed some bonding with the Pokemon and that made you actually care for the Pokemon. It's pretty pointless to make you care about the Pokemon just when it's leaving, at least imo xD But it's even more annoying when they do those troll release episodes. Umm can't you think of a different plot? Especially when the Pokemon ends up getting HQ'ed later anyway without a proper in-universe reason ^^;
And also, I like human and Pokemon bonding eps, but I don't want the anime to go that route with Rockets fully, because it feels like... they're presenting Rockets as if they were adult twerps. I mean, it's great to see that Rockets care deeply about their Pokemont, but we arleady got that and there's just much more to their characters than just their bond with Pokemon. I don't want Musashi and Kojiro to get outshined by their Pokemon so much.

And like Megumi Hayashibara, I just want to see something emotionally complicated, something that isn't so easily understood by kids. I think she meant that for Pokemon anime in general, but it can easily work for Rockets.

I think XY063 was probably the best Rocket-centered episode in XY (and by extension post-DP) but it still didn't have the depth of the older ones. Had Rocket-centered episodes not been so sparse the past several years it would have been fine but if that's one of only TWO Musashi episodes in XY (right?) that's a bit sad.

Have they ever talked about Miyamoto in the main tv series? Or was it just that one radio drama for the first movie? Considering that was almost 20 years ago and was just supplemental movie material instead of part of the core tv series I think it would be great to see her mentioned. Hell they could give Musashi and Lillie a heart to heart about mothers or something.

TRio's characters feel very hollow without allowing them to expose any of their history, ever. Add to the fact that they are no longer allowed to release their pokemon, the episodes which from OS-DP made their characters feel like real, 3D adult humans just... don't exist anymore! None of the Rocket episodes in XY felt to me like they had any depth to them.

Have we? I think we've been given fragments of the same story, except for possibly the confusion regarding when she and Kojiro first met (which I'd be inclined to say has officially been retconned to the version told in the Hoso ep).
They attented Pokemon Tech together, then flunked out and joined up with the biker gang in one version. In the other they just met each after joining Team Rocket. It's just bothersome that we don't even officially know how the story goes.

I think XY063 was probably the best Rocket-centered episode in XY (and by extension post-DP) but it still didn't have the depth of the older ones. Had Rocket-centered episodes not been so sparse the past several years it would have been fine but if that's one of only TWO Musashi episodes in XY (right?) that's a bit sad.

Have they ever talked about Miyamoto in the main tv series? Or was it just that one radio drama for the first movie? Considering that was almost 20 years ago and was just supplemental movie material instead of part of the core tv series I think it would be great to see her mentioned. Hell they could give Musashi and Lillie a heart to heart about mothers or something.
They haven't. I image it being because Jessie doesn't have a story around her mother to tell. She was probably really young when she left, but like, what did Jessie even do afterwards? There's that really weird flashback about her dancing in that Dustox episode and her trying to become a nurse at some point. I just want more of it to fill in the empty space. It's actually sad and shocking how little they do with their characters in the span of 20 years.

Considering that there's not much of a real bond between these two (even with the Luxury Ball's in-game effect if we want to include that), I can't say that I wasn't expecting a Jessie/Mimikyu episode somewhere down the line. This felt inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom