• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM038: Mimikkyu's Disguise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok OMFG
I'm dying.
(But in the best way)
Why is Thursday so far away?!?!??!??!?!?!!
Is 2 weeks too soon into a new job to fake sick leave to watch Pokeani live?
Musashi said "I'll repair it for you, so just give it to me" <3
:cry: <3

Also LOL if the reason she looks so battered is because she falls of the roof in pursuit of Mimikyu's disguise.
Do you think Mimikyu's backstory will be done by flashback or exposition or not quite yet in an episode down the road?
I feel like if they don't show its backstory in this episode, then they never explicitly will. Based on the previews we've had so far it's difficult to tell what we'll get in that regard.

Ok, now I have to do some catch up to stuff which was said 3 pages ago...
I can't see Tomioka writing the ep, but why not Yonemura? Although he isn't much around, but he showed in the past that he's pretty capable of writing a good TR ep.
Ok I concede, but he's still not written a Takegami or Shudou level episode IMO! I guess he still has time to remedy this :p
Not even XY063? O.O
There's something about the way that episode is written which just leaves me feeling cold. The only thing I have been able to pin it to is that Musashi has no direct interaction with her partner(s), unless you count the motto. Maybe it's unfair to say it is lacking depth, because we probably see the most introspection on the part of Musashi, well, ever (only other contender is love and youth Hoso).
And like Megumi Hayashibara, I just want to see something emotionally complicated, something that isn't so easily understood by kids. I think she meant that for Pokemon anime in general, but it can easily work for Rockets.
I'm pretty sure she said this partly because it works best with Rockets!! Nyabby episode was actually a really nice attempt at this, so I'm hoping we will get more in SM, hopefully some for Rockets also.
Had Rocket-centered episodes not been so sparse the past several years it would have been fine but if that's one of only TWO Musashi episodes in XY (right?) that's a bit sad.
Tbf, I think Musashi focused episodes over the entire span of Pokemon can be counted on your two hands. Actually I felt we were spoiled in XY. She didn't get a single episode to herself in AG or BW or even Kanto/OI!
Have they ever talked about Miyamoto in the main tv series?
Never, to the point that I've always believed Musashi doesn't remember her at all. (And the old lady who feeds Musashi snow is not her.) However, translations for Shudou's novels were linked in another thread recently, and I noticed one little allusion I'd never heard of before in chapter 5 of vol 1:
“Didn't your mother ever tell you it's rude to point at people?” Satoshi said.
“Mother? Mama? Mummy, I wish I could've...” Musashi suddenly murmured.
“Parents are never supportive when you need them.” Kojirou cried.
“I don't even remember a single word my parents ever told me, nya.” Nyarth stated matter of factly.
“We don't need to hear about your parental issues.” Kasumi shouted.

She didn't get a single episode to herself in AG or BW or even Kanto/OI!
It's always kind of bothered me that while Kojiro had Holy Matrimony and Nyasu had Go West Young Meowth in the original series, the closest thing for Musashi was either banned or never shown outside of Japan until two seasons later when the show was at one point going to end after the first movie.
In relation to what kantoskies said, I found a book for the dub during XY that mentioned Miyamoto not by name but as Musashi's mother(same position of Team Rocket, same backstory) and talked about Musashi losing her way. I think unless you are a hardcore fan, this was something not known at least as far as the dub is concerned and I'm glad she's now considered canon in the dub too. She may not have an episode on her (yet) but at least she hasn't been completely tossed away.
Also praying when TPCI dubs this episode they do a decent job and portray Team Rocket like how they are here! DON"T MESS WITH MIMIKYU AND MUSASHI BONDING! MUSASHI LOVES HER POKEMON TOO! Sorry.

Ouch! I find it ironic it's Kasumi who says this knowing what happens to her later.

In relation to what kantoskies said, I found a book for the dub during XY that mentioned Miyamoto not by name but as Musashi's mother(same position of Team Rocket, same backstory) and talked about Musashi losing her way. I think unless you are a hardcore fan, this was something not known at least as far as the dub is concerned and I'm glad she's now considered canon in the dub too.
I read the Team Rocket bits of a similar kind of book in the supermarket last year, and I couldn't help but feel (what with the minor errors only a true, true fan would spot) that the writer had plagiarised much of the content from Bulbapedia :p It's good that these important nuggets get a little airtime in dub media though.

I feel like if they don't show its backstory in this episode, then they never explicitly will. Based on the previews we've had so far it's difficult to tell what we'll get in that regard.
It feels like we've been arleady told all the story in the preview tbh xD;

I know it's Musashi/Mimikkyu ep, but I really hope that Kojiro and Nyasu will get to do something more than just running around the forest and crying for Musashi ;D Maybe they could help a little? I hope they'll have a nice, happy reunion!

Ok I concede, but he's still not written a Takegami or Shudou level episode IMO! I guess he still has time to remedy this :p
We'll see what Sekine can do on Thursday. If she lives up to my expectations, I'm gonna put her on a pedestal xD Maybe one good ep is too early to judge, but the times are tough so xD;

There's something about the way that episode is written which just leaves me feeling cold. The only thing I have been able to pin it to is that Musashi has no direct interaction with her partner(s), unless you count the motto. Maybe it's unfair to say it is lacking depth, because we probably see the most introspection on the part of Musashi, well, ever (only other contender is love and youth Hoso).
I know what you mean and the ep was definitely lacking that interaction. But I just thought that they did that on purpose for some reason (*coughshippingterritorycough*).

I'm pretty sure she said this partly because it works best with Rockets!! Nyabby episode was actually a really nice attempt at this, so I'm hoping we will get more in SM, hopefully some for Rockets also.
Yes, I hope so too!

She didn't get a single episode to herself in AG or BW or even Kanto/OI!
As for AG, I think that The Origin of Youth and Love special, while it was a TR-centric ep, it was told from Musashi's POV ep, so technically... and don't forget that she still had contest, even if shee was a joke back then. Musashi got her ep in Jouto (the Happinasu ep) and that's still OS, so each one of them got their own ep during OS.

Never, to the point that I've always believed Musashi doesn't remember her at all. (And the old lady who feeds Musashi snow is not her.) However, translations for Shudou's novels were linked in another thread recently, and I noticed one little allusion I'd never heard of before in chapter 5 of vol 1:
“Didn't your mother ever tell you it's rude to point at people?” Satoshi said.
“Mother? Mama? Mummy, I wish I could've...” Musashi suddenly murmured.
“Parents are never supportive when you need them.” Kojirou cried.
“I don't even remember a single word my parents ever told me, nya.” Nyarth stated matter of factly.
Wow, that's mean :mad: Who's the villain now? :p

Thanks for showing this bit, I've never seen this part before actually! It's pretty clear that Musashi doesn't remember her mom as she was abandoned when she was around 2-3 years old. Therefore she's never mentioned her in the anime, and all the ladies we've seen her with in her flashbacks were either her foster moms or pre-/school teachers.

It feels like we've been arleady told all the story in the preview tbh xD;
xD So we're expecting:
fight
blast off
rag rips
"Musashi! Mimikyu!"
shopping shopping shopping
spat with Yamikarasu
Mimikyu rag fixed
Mimi vs Yami
yayayayayay
everyone back together
the end

...right? :p
I know it's Musashi/Mimikkyu ep, but I really hope that Kojiro and Nyasu will get to do something more than just running around the forest and crying for Musashi ;D Maybe they could help a little? I hope they'll have a nice, happy reunion!
I too hope for both of these things and also for them to be displeased that Musashi has gotten herself into such a state. Time for me to stop dreaming!
We'll see what Sekine can do on Thursday. If she lives up to my expectations, I'm gonna put her on a pedestal xD Maybe one good ep is too early to judge, but the times are tough so xD;
How many of the other current writers have even 1 good episode?! I'm looking for a Takegami replacement and Sekine better oblige!!!
I know what you mean and the ep was definitely lacking that interaction. But I just thought that they did that on purpose for some reason (*coughshippingterritorycough*).
Yes of course you are right... Just I know that if Takegami had written the very same episode they would have spoken at least one line to each other! Their sideways look during the motto was cute and all, but I wanted Musashi or Kojiro to speak something after the emotional turmoil we saw them both go through.
As for AG, I think that The Origin of Youth and Love special, while it was a TR-centric ep, it was told from Musashi's POV ep, so technically... and don't forget that she still had contest, even if shee was a joke back then.
a. the Hoso was a special, I don't count it as AG!
b. don't talk to me about her Hoenn contests, it was almost like that whole arc was planned by Oohashi *shudder*
Wow, that's mean :mad: Who's the villain now? :p
LMFAO Kasumi is a total bitch in the whole novel, whilst Musashi comes across quite romantically villainous... Shudo was never biased or anything ;)

xD So we're expecting:
fight
blast off
rag rips
"Musashi! Mimikyu!"
shopping shopping shopping
spat with Yamikarasu
Mimikyu rag fixed
Mimi vs Yami
yayayayayay
everyone back together
the end

...right? :p
Yes, pretty much it, I guess?

But wait, we forgot about this scene:
tumblr_ougxj9aDcc1tpvtc4o1_540.gif
What are they running away from? xD

And again, where is Kiteruguma in all this? You let this all happen, Mama Bear! :p

How many of the other current writers have even 1 good episode?! I'm looking for a Takegami replacement and Sekine better oblige!!!
Yes now I have huge expectations of her too. Now that I double-checked, she wrote 3 episodes before this one, out of which 2 had Team Rocket in it. Their scenes were short, but pretty good. Takegami himself didn't start big with Rockets, actually his first ever ep was the Nibi Gym ep that had like one of the shortest TR scenes in the OS xD; But well, it's a matter of fact that the writers don't always get to write whatever the content they please! It's only once in a while when they have a chance to really shine, writing what they like the best :)

Yes of course you are right... Just I know that if Takegami had written the very same episode they would have spoken at least one line to each other! Their sideways look during the motto was cute and all, but I wanted Musashi or Kojiro to speak something after the emotional turmoil we saw them both go through.
Yeah, like it'd have been perfect if for example what Musashi thought of in the balloon in the last scene was said out loud and Kojiro and Nyasu could cry from happiness again I guess xD Maybe Yonemura felt it'd feel redundant?

b. don't talk to me about her Hoenn contests, it was almost like that whole arc was planned by Oohashi *shudder*
Fair enough. AG, we don't talk about AG.

LMFAO Kasumi is a total bitch in the whole novel, whilst Musashi comes across quite romantically villainous... Shudo was never biased or anything ;)
HIM!? No, never, haha.

Kinda feels like Kasumi was to Shudo what Musashi was to Oohashi, except that anime Kasumi was Shudo's character so technically he could do whatever he wanted with her.

I want to see Shudo's interpretation of Stun Spore Detour and Bad to the Bone now.
I'd like to see his interpretations of many eps, but sadly, his novelizations got cancelled only after 2 volumes.

I wonder how he would feel about this upcoming episode.
Musashi was his most beloved child, so he'd be definitely happy that she's getting the spotlight she needs.

Btw, I REALLY hope we'll be getting more than one Rocket character episode per series this time. There's still SM054 and SM063 upcoming! *hinthint*

And again, where is Kiteruguma in all this? You let this all happen, Mama Bear! :p
Yeah. I wonder what that's about. Are they foreshadowing Kiteruguma's backstory? Is it something to do with her original cubs? *Gets Bambi flashbacks*
What are they running away from? xD
Maybe they found out that Musashi jumps off a roof in this episode. In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if they have problems with the Murkrow too.

Last edited:
They're probably running away from a group of wild Pokemon whose habitat they disturbed after blasting off. That or they somehow realize that Mimikkyu's disguise tore and Musashi could potentially be in danger?

Yeah, like it'd have been perfect if for example what Musashi thought of in the balloon in the last scene was said out loud and Kojiro and Nyasu could cry from happiness again I guess xD Maybe Yonemura felt it'd feel redundant?
I think that would have been too much for me even xD But in my dream world I'd have liked just a one line exchange, not even about what happened, but just as a tacit acknowledgement that "ok, this thing happened but we're all good".
Kinda feels like Kasumi was to Shudo what Musashi was to Oohashi, except that anime Kasumi was Shudo's character so technically he could do whatever he wanted with her.
That is a cool and REALLY satisfying comparison given that Shudo did, as you say, create the characters!!!
Btw, I REALLY hope we'll be getting more than one Rocket character episode per series this time. There's still SM054 and SM063 upcoming! *hinthint*
I live in eternal hope! I don't remember a proper Rocket episode this early in any previous series btw, do you?
That or they somehow realize that Mimikkyu's disguise tore and Musashi could potentially be in danger?
They're not psychic :p

I was out today and found a Mimikyu plush. I'm not sure if this is just a usual thing for the Mimikyu plushes but it had a stitch line exactly where in the preview Mimikyu's disguise ripped. This could be a usual thing and I just haven't seen it before but the timing is hilarious. Two days, nine hours, and three minutes left!!!!!!!!!
I don't know, I think I've seen instances where Kojiro and Musashi seem to be able to finish each other's thoughts very well (or was that just in the dub?)

Last edited:
I was out today and found a Mimikyu plush. I'm not sure if this is just a usual thing for the Mimikyu plushes but it had a stitch line exactly where in the preview Mimikyu's disguise ripped. This could be a usual thing and I just haven't seen it before but the timing is hilarious. Two days, ten hours, and two minutes left!!!!!!!!!

I don't know, I think I've seen instances where Kojiro and Musashi seem to be able to finish each other's thoughts very well (or was that just in the dub?)
Can you take a picture of it? Maybe some of the workers made some mistakes in creating them.

Last edited:
I think that would have been too much for me even xD But in my dream world I'd have liked just a one line exchange, not even about what happened, but just as a tacit acknowledgement that "ok, this thing happened but we're all good".
Well didn't the reunion scene count as that? It was clear from that that they're more than good XD

I live in eternal hope! I don't remember a proper Rocket episode this early in any previous series btw, do you?
Well, apart from Arbok and Matadogas release ep in AG, I don't think we've gotten any TR eps as early. Usually we wouldn't get them until the 2nd year of the series.

I'd argue with that!:p

I haven't figured out how to upload pictures on their own yet but I can put them on a document.(Is this against the rules here?) Here they are: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Jb2pp2j-IkBnPwUdlgodqoSnJJrROkK-N0KHUGCbtI/
The first is the plush (and a clue at what's under Mimikyu's disguise in the background) and the second is where the stitch line is. I hope it's visible enough to see.
I have a slightly different Mimikkyu plushie, but the stitchline is in the same place. I also have a few other Mimikkyu plush toys and they all have stitchlines in varying places. I wouldn't think much of it :p

Omg it's tomorrow guys :love: I'm so excited!

I have a slightly different Mimikkyu plushie, but the stitchline is in the same place. I also have a few other Mimikkyu plush toys and they all have stitchlines in varying places. I wouldn't think much of it :p
My sister told me that too. I just found the timing I found it hilariously ironic.
Well, apart from Arbok and Matadogas release ep in AG, I don't think we've gotten any TR eps as early.
Does Pokemon Emergency count considering it was their debut? Speaking of those two, I was reading the comment sections of the previews and some were talking about Mimikyu's eventual goodbye at the end of the series. I know it's early to think about but do you think Mimikyu will have a goodbye in a similar way with them/Dokucale/Sabonea or more like in BW or XY or get lucky and stick around like Sonansu?
It's two days, four hours, and 44 minutes here.

Last edited:
Well Mimikkyu is probably one of the most popular Pokemon the duo has ever captured, so it could stick around. But I'm sure the writers are going to run into problems continuously thinking of ways to get it to *not* beat Pikachu without straight-up nerfing it which may mean it won't stick around for the next series. I do hope that if it doesn't stick around we actually get a departure episode instead of what has happened the past....three series?

I do hope that if it doesn't stick around we actually get a departure episode instead of what has happened the past....three series?
Yes! I agree! A departure episode that's emotional, not rushed, not out of character(looking at you, Victreebel!), properly wraps up Mimikyu's(and Hidoide's and Kiteruguma's)stories, and one that does not betray what happens in this episode.

Well Mimikkyu is probably one of the most popular Pokemon the duo has ever captured, so it could stick around. But I'm sure the writers are going to run into problems continuously thinking of ways to get it to *not* beat Pikachu without straight-up nerfing it which may mean it won't stick around for the next series. I do hope that if it doesn't stick around we actually get a departure episode instead of what has happened the past....three series?

Perhaps you could always have its fights with Pikachu be close calls. Maybe he'll win one fight but lose the next. After a while, none of them will be curbstomps if they're one-on-one and it'll force Ash to use his entire Pokémon team to reliably beat Team Rocket since Mimikyu is such a threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom